Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 08:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Cheese has gone up quite a bit. What I used to buy for $2.79/lb last year is now going for $4.29/ lb. It has not been as quickly as many cheeses require aging.
I guess because it isn't that expensive, I just haven't noticed it as much. We did get a bit of good news today: no, not about butter, but our favorite grocery store is actually having their meat sale this weekend. They used to have it every Oct/March and July, but with the high cost of beef we haven't seen it since last Oct. Sure enough the ad was in the paper this am. You would think they were giving it away I got so excited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 10:04 AM

1,007 posts, read 1,125,891 times
I stock up when it goes on sale. I am still using up the stock that I got for 1.99/lb and haven't needed any since last spring. Come to think of it, I haven't seen a sale in a while. Out of curiosity I will have to check the prices this weekend. I can't imagine substituting anything for butter. So if I have to pay more, I will have to save more on another less essential food item. I love butter too much.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona13 View Post
I stock up when it goes on sale. I am still using up the stock that I got for 1.99/lb and haven't needed any since last spring. Come to think of it, I haven't seen a sale in a while. Out of curiosity I will have to check the prices this weekend. I can't imagine substituting anything for butter. So if I have to pay more, I will have to save more on another less essential food item. I love butter too much.
I had someone try and explain to me why butter is so expensive but some other diary products are not. She was raised on a farm in Kansas and I am just s city girl. She said it has to do with the type of cow, but heck to me, a cow is a cow. Now, regardless I am going to buy a few lbs this weekend when we do our Sam's monthly shopping. I will use "I can't believe its not butter" once in awhile.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:04 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I had someone try and explain to me why butter is so expensive but some other diary products are not. She was raised on a farm in Kansas and I am just s city girl. She said it has to do with the type of cow, but heck to me, a cow is a cow. Now, regardless I am going to buy a few lbs this weekend when we do our Sam's monthly shopping. I will use "I can't believe its not butter" once in awhile.
There is some truth that there is a difference between the breed of cows.

For example, the Holstein cow (black and white) is generally larger and puts out more milk than any other breed. The butter fat content of Holsteins is about 60% of other smaller breeds like the Brown Swiss or Jersey cows. The milk from Brown Swiss and Jersey is preferred for ice cream producers and the like.

Most Midwestern dairymen (especially those that I am related to) have a strong preference for Holsteins as they produce more milk and because they are more sturdy and handle cold weather better. I am sure others might disagree. (g)

Old 10-24-2014, 06:32 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,522,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
I eat far too much butter , can't make a sandwich without it , I'd have to quit cold turkey
Your post made me think of this,
Mmmmmmm
I love butter on a cold turkey sandwich from Thanksgiving turkey left overs

Old 10-24-2014, 06:35 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,522,480 times
I use Hope butter.
Prices gone up too.
You can get it in no salt, salted, and high fat.

The high fat is great for baking.
Exspeculially pie crusts.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:45 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Land o Lakes was "on sale" this week for $3.00 a pound. I'll pass. Sometime before the holidays, it will most likely be on sale somewhere. I'll stock up then.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:58 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
We recently moved from Reno to the Sacramento area, we were sort of in a time capsule for 6 weeks living in a motel and eating out while waiting for escrow to close on our home. Once we got moved in and unpacked I went grocery shopping and almost fainted from some of the prices; butter $4.59, eggs $3.99 crummy cross rib steaks $5.99. For a minute I thought maybe we had made a mistake in moving here but when I went online and checked the prices in Reno at the same grocery stores; Raley's Safeway, etc. the prices were identical. Those prices are way higher than what we were paying a few months ago, what the heck happened?

Old 10-27-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
There is some truth that there is a difference between the breed of cows.

For example, the Holstein cow (black and white) is generally larger and puts out more milk than any other breed. The butter fat content of Holsteins is about 60% of other smaller breeds like the Brown Swiss or Jersey cows. The milk from Brown Swiss and Jersey is preferred for ice cream producers and the like.

Most Midwestern dairymen (especially those that I am related to) have a strong preference for Holsteins as they produce more milk and because they are more sturdy and handle cold weather better. I am sure others might disagree. (g)
I am sure it is true, I just am a city girl and have only milked a cow once. It was on my moms cousins farm when I was about 7 years old. What do I know, but I do know we got butter at Aldi's last Sat. for $3.79 and spoiled brat's job was to get butter. He only got one lb. I didn't realize it til we got all the way home. Heck all he cared about was finishing the shopping so we could get home and watch college football.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Your post made me think of this,
Mmmmmmm
I love butter on a cold turkey sandwich from Thanksgiving turkey left overs
oh now you are making me hungry. I like it on cold chicken sandwiches as well. In fact I guess I have a love affair with butter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink