Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 02:54 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
As to my knowledge of food sciences, I have some, but I don't fact check every little thing I read on the internet nor write
Then you won't mind when people tell you your "information" is incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
DEPENDS on the person........some people would see a spike in their BS from 4-6 ounces of FJ. TTDM and other carbohydrate metabolism disorders are more and more common in the USA.....best to avoid junky Frankendrinks.
I see a spike in the BS all right ... How is fruit juice a "frankendrink"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 10:41 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I see a spike in the BS all right ... How is fruit juice a "frankendrink"?
Generally, the word "Franken" is added when you a poster really does not have a logical argument to make. It is the standard "red herring" very similar to comparing someone you don't like or agree with with Hitler or Stalin.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:28 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Gentle reminder that the topic is sugar amounts in milk and juice products. Thanks.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:35 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
A juice-glass of oj once a day is fine for a normal human, and contains innumerably more trace elements and minerals, and also appreciable amounts of naturally-sourced vitamins, than a can of soda. (What ever happened to juice glasses?).

And by a "normal human", I don't mean an average American with diabetes, overweight and sedentary. Ho ho!
All our dishes have been supersized. That's why no one realizes what a portion is anymore. When I went looking for portion accurate cereal bowls so I wouldn't have to feel like I was starving myself, and measure every single day, I found ONE.

The Fiestaware stackable cereal bowl at 8.5 ounces. Had to buy them from the manufacturer. No one sells them at the stores.

When we eat chicken breast -- it's one breast cut in half to feed two people.

And the sugar thing? If you drank a 6 ounce glass of juice -- maybe you're right -- but people have 16 ounce glasses now and they aren't going to measure out 6 ounces -- they are going to fill the glass. And hey -- it's healthy isn't it? Not at that rate.

I'm not anti sugar, but because people aren't educated on nutrition anymore, and crazy diets get on Doctor Oz all the time, and people never seem to have moderation brain power -- it's either all or nothing... we have to demonize something all over again.

I was reading a website a while back where someone who claimed to be a cardiologist said that carbs turn into sugar in our bloodstream. BUT PROTEIN DOESN'T. (She was anti wheat, by the way)

Everything we eat turns into glucose, which is what our body uses for energy. If you are diabetic, eating a balanced diet means you won't get insulin spikes. If you think of your stomach as an incinerator, you toss in a sugary snack, it burns right up. Blood glucose spike. If you toss in protein, it burns much slower. If you put them in together, it burns just right.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:36 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
And the sugar thing? If you drank a 6 ounce glass of juice -- maybe you're right -- but people have 16 ounce glasses now and they aren't going to measure out 6 ounces -- they are going to fill the glass. And hey -- it's healthy isn't it? Not at that rate.
You are absolutely right about this! I finally got rid of our 12-oz. glasses after fighting constantly with my family about filling them to the brim with milk and juice. I also packed up the large dinner plates and started using the luncheon size for the same reason.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:13 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Whenever we have orange juice we try to buy the low-sugar variety which is hard to find but they're out there.

We gave up cow's milk about a year or so ago when we got sick of being gassy and bloated every time we drank it. We use Almond milk now and it's delicious. No gass or bloat, either.

Just switched to almond butter too, in place of peanut butter, which has a lot of sugar in it. Very tasty.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:07 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Whenever we have orange juice we try to buy the low-sugar variety which is hard to find but they're out there.
The juice you're buying is not "low sugar"; it's juice that's watered down to reduce the calorie content per ounce. You can do that yourself at home, for a lot less money.

Quote:
Just switched to almond butter too, in place of peanut butter, which has a lot of sugar in it.
Not if you buy peanut butter with no ingredients other than peanuts.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:12 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
Wow. It's come to my attention lately just how much sugar is in one glass of milk, and other dairy products.

For instance, 11 - 12 grams average per glass of milk, 2%, and whole, even organic. Even though it's not listed as one of the ingredients, it's listed under the nutrition content. And because it's used in the making of other dairy products, you may be looking at 6 grms of sugar in your 2/3 of a cup of organic, plain, fat-free yogurt. Or, how about 2 grms of sugar per 2 tbsp of sour cream? Pretty crazy huh?

Or those little tiny juice boxes for kids lunches weighing in at around 28 grms per box! Whoa!

Even something like some weak tasting organic lemonade, .. figure there can't be a whole lot of sugar to this one .. yup, 30+ grms per cup. Does make you sit up and wonder how much sugar you consumed in that last margarita or two you ordered.

So you figure you're helping the kids out by skipping the soda pop that contains what, something like 8 tbsp of sugar and give them milk instead. Much better of course, but if they're to drink a glass or two or three ..

No wonder obesity is on the rise. All the hidden sugars in foods that you wouldn't expect to contain sugar, such as milk!

Who would have thought? 60 Minutes had a real eye-opener on sugar recently, if you have the chance to see it sometime, it's pretty darn interesting, as well as astonishing.
Being someone who is not fond of sweetness, I guess that's why I never liked either one.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink