Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 12:13 PM

4,178 posts, read 3,378,886 times

Advertisements

How do you like it?

I'm thinking of a multi-function type that I saw today which includes slow cooker, browning and rice-maker functions.

Do these work well? Got any favorite recipes? It looks interesting for the possibility of making a fast pasta-with-meat dish!

The old types scare me, but the electrics look tame. I'm sure everyone has a horror story about old stove-top pressure cookers!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 04:00 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,417,287 times
ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!! You could have EVERY item in my kitchen except for my food processor, my coffee maker and now the electric pressure cooker, and I would be able to survive.

This from the Queen of kitchen gadgets!!! LOL Have found great recipes online as well as bought 2 really good cookbooks exclusively for electric pressure cookers from Amazon and am amazed at the money saved using less costly cuts of meat and being able to come home from work and cook vs going out or grabbing food on the way home because it would take too long to make.

I can even stick frozen chicken and meat straight from the freezer and still have dinner in less than an hour.

VERY safe, nothing at all to worry about like the old stove, unregulated temp kind. These have multiple safety valves and stop gap systems to ensure no explosions.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:29 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,262,189 times
Yup, I have this one:

Amazon.com: Fagor 670040230 Stainless-Steel 3-in-1 6-Quart Multi-Cooker: Electric Pressure Cookers: Kitchen & Dining

Love it! We use ours a lot.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:20 AM

Last night I made short ribs in mine, I seared the meat, browned the onions and carrots and then cooked all in the one pot. 35 minutes later, the most tender, tasty shortribs you could want. All I added to mine was some soy sauce, ginger, onions, garlic, carrots and salt and pepper for Asian style ribs. Once done, I took the meat out, added some brown sugar and corn startch to the broth remaining in the pot and reduced. Sprinkled with sesame seeds after plating. Both son and hubby LOVED it. Rice cooker pot and electric pressure cooker pot were the ONLY two cooking cleanup's needed.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:00 AM

16,175 posts, read 32,410,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!! You could have EVERY item in my kitchen except for my food processor, my coffee maker and now the electric pressure cooker, and I would be able to survive.

This from the Queen of kitchen gadgets!!! LOL Have found great recipes online as well as bought 2 really good cookbooks exclusively for electric pressure cookers from Amazon and am amazed at the money saved using less costly cuts of meat and being able to come home from work and cook vs going out or grabbing food on the way home because it would take too long to make.

I can even stick frozen chicken and meat straight from the freezer and still have dinner in less than an hour.

VERY safe, nothing at all to worry about like the old stove, unregulated temp kind. These have multiple safety valves and stop gap systems to ensure no explosions.
Paka, thank you for this and your other post in the thread. Would you mind sharing the names of the two Cookbooks you got on Amazon? I have an electric pressure cooker that I want to use more often.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:08 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,262,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Last night I made short ribs in mine, I seared the meat, browned the onions and carrots and then cooked all in the one pot. 35 minutes later, the most tender, tasty shortribs you could want. All I added to mine was some soy sauce, ginger, onions, garlic, carrots and salt and pepper for Asian style ribs. Once done, I took the meat out, added some brown sugar and corn startch to the broth remaining in the pot and reduced. Sprinkled with sesame seeds after plating. Both son and hubby LOVED it. Rice cooker pot and electric pressure cooker pot were the ONLY two cooking cleanup's needed.
We make rice in ours, too. 6 minutes under pressure, and voila.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:11 AM

4,178 posts, read 3,378,886 times
Ditto that! My electric pressure cooker should be coming this week.

And thanks, Paka!

Old 09-14-2014, 11:53 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,019,185 times
So, these are safer? I remember the ones from my childhood, they scare me.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:31 PM

Yes! These are MUCH safer....everything that could go wrong with uncontrolled temps has been thought of and addressed. A 10 yr old could cook safely with these units that are electric.

The two cookbooks I got were "Great Food Fast" by Bob Warden and the other was "Miss Vickies Big Book of Pressure Cooker Recipes". Both from Amazon. If you go to Amazon and put in "Electric Pressure Cooker" you will find 100's of cookbooks and reviews, but I chose these two because of the positive reviews. I will review both as positive myself, so recommend them. I depend heavily on the reviews (numbers of and ratings) when ordering there.

Hope this helps, but I am telling you, making chili in 20 minutes that tastes like it cooked all day is sooooooo awesome! Not to mention, taking something rock hard frozen and still being able to cook dinner at home in less than an hour.....that is less time than it takes to drive to a diner and wait for a table and to be served....forget the expensive and drive home!

Old 09-14-2014, 12:35 PM

Don't forget your corn on the cob....it will come out SOOOOO wonderfully sweet because the flavor is locked in with the water as it steams vs being boiled or cooked out!

We have steamed Lobster, crab legs, corn on the cob, mussels, made homemade soups (tomato/basil and French onion are our favs!), clam chowder and even love steaming the sausages in it because the flavor locks in and it all plumps up vs drying out while cooking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink