Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 01:28 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,200,111 times

Advertisements

Is anyone paranoid about eating out? I'm particular about how my food is cooked to taste, but I feel that the standards are being lowered or that restaurants are so overwhelmed that they may overlook cleanliness.

There was a story today about a couple of kids eating a turkey sandwich from a restaurant, one died and the other is in kidney failure. They got the sandwich from a roadside restaurant.

I have gotten food poisoning from takeout chicken from a Chinese restaurant before. I could taste something was wrong and ignored it and ate it anyway . I just ignored that voice, but never again, worst 24 hours of my life. I feel like there may be poisons we don't know about, without taste (like the lye in the iced tea incident) and we are taking a chance anymore by eating out and trusting strangers with what we put in our bodies.

Do you feel it's safe to eat out anymore, or would you just as soon cook it yourself no matter what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 01:42 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,813,501 times
My good friend's son nearly died in 2008 from e- coli. He was two years old and survived after weeks in the hospital, but has permanent kidney damage.

The e-coli wasn't from a restaurant, it was traced to bagged spinach that she bought at Kroger. The investigation showed that the spinach field was near a major cattle operation, and e-coli washed into the field from the cow manure.

There have been beef recalls due to e-coli as well as turkey and other foods. So it isn't just restaurant food that you need to be concerned about. It could also be lurking in the food you purchase at the grocery.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:54 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,238,736 times
Nope. Not paranoid at all. I eat out all the time. I can't live my life in fear of every little thing.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:55 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,511,298 times
What about crossing the street? Do you know how many people get runover each year. Some were on the sidewalk!

Best to stay under the sofa.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:59 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,009,174 times
It's something to think about, especially hepatitis a.

After watching Kitchen Nighmares on tv, and seeing the state of some of those kitchens, it's a concern.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:00 PM

bg7 You can see cars coming and look both ways. Those little bacteria are hard to see without a microscope

Old 09-10-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
My good friend's son nearly died in 2008 from e- coli. He was two years old and survived after weeks in the hospital, but has permanent kidney damage.

The e-coli wasn't from a restaurant, it was traced to bagged spinach that she bought at Kroger. The investigation showed that the spinach field was near a major cattle operation, and e-coli washed into the field from the cow manure.

There have been beef recalls due to e-coli as well as turkey and other foods. So it isn't just restaurant food that you need to be concerned about. It could also be lurking in the food you purchase at the grocery.
This is scary! I'm glad your friend's son recovered. We eat spinach from Walmart all the time. I just wash it in soapy water, but I think I will add the vinegar rinse to that as well. There have been a lot of spinach recalls. I looked and nearly all the produce in Walmart is from another country and they just don't have the same standards. Thanks for the input, it's better safe than sorry.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
It's something to think about, especially hepatitis a.

After watching Kitchen Nighmares on tv, and seeing the state of some of those kitchens, it's a concern.
I watch Restaurant Impossible, maybe that's part of my problem. Not knowing what goes in the kitchen gave me peace of mind, lol.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:25 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,813,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
What about crossing the street? Do you know how many people get runover each year. Some were on the sidewalk!

Best to stay under the sofa.
Look both ways before you cross the street. But you can't look at your food and see e-coli.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:56 PM

22,311 posts, read 11,819,749 times
We eat out a couple of times a week. Except when we're on vacation, we eat out all the time then. When we go on vacation we feel that we are getting away from the everyday chores and don't want to be cooking meals.

As other posters pointed out, you can prepare your food at home and still get food poisoning.

My husband says that most restaurants know that if they kept poisoning people, people won't eat there anymore. So, most owners know that it is in their best interests to keep the place clean and properly store perishable and non-perishable food.

Sometimes, upon entering a restaurant, you can get an immediate feel as to how clean it is. If the front of the house is filthy, it's safe to assume that the back of the house is also. If the place smells bad, then don't eat there. Obviously, if you see insects or rodents turn right around and leave. Too many people ignore basic warning signs and still eat in questionable places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink