Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 06:37 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times

Advertisements

Egads, this is reminding me of my sister. She asks me to make CHILI CON CARNE with NO peppers. I explain to her that you cannot make it without peppers. She responds, "sure you can, just use Chile powder." I ask her, "what do they make Chile powder out of?". Her response, "I don't know. I buy it in the supermarket."

This is why I generally let my brother do the cooking ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 06:40 AM

4,691 posts, read 3,467,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Egads, this is reminding me of my sister. She asks me to make CHILI CON CARNE with NO peppers. I explain to her that you cannot make it without peppers. She responds, "sure you can, just use Chile powder." I ask her, "what do they make Chile powder out of?". Her response, "I don't know. I buy it in the supermarket."

This is why I generally let my brother do the cooking ....
Ouch! That hurt my head!

Old 09-23-2014, 07:05 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,267,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
You missed my point.

Hash Browns and Home Fries HAVE NO ONIONS. The OP was SPECIFICALLY mentioning "home fries". Breakfast was mentioned, too.

Who is eating onions before work?

Did you click my link?

I'm from Philly/NJ. DINERS galore. NONE of them use onions.

No onions:

https://www.google.com/search?q=home...w=1239&bih=801

I think we just learned from Tallysmom that some people are calling these POTATOES by the wrong name.
I have onions before work. The place where I get breakfast twice a week or so makes potatoes with onions and peppers. It's very common for breakfast. And they're usually called home fries. It's their restaurant, so they get to decide what it's called. .

I've seen them done with onions and peppers for breakfast in all parts of the country, so it's not just a southern thing.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:07 AM

223 posts, read 300,152 times
Another onion and garlic lover here! Bring them on! Food would be tasteless without them.

Restaurants can't just stop putting them in food just because a few people don't like them. They can't just put them on the table to be added by those who do like them. Cooking them into the food gives it awesome flavor. A bowl of raw onions on the table wouldn't be the same.

Those who don't like them or get gastric distress from them will just have to pick them out or bring some Beano along. That may relieve the distress. I have lactose intolerance, but I don't expect restaurants not to serve things with dairy. I just bring along Lactaid.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:25 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,553,503 times
Nothing is going to change, onions are way too popular.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:54 AM

53 posts, read 67,382 times
Like the rest of us, if you have "food issues", you have to pick and choose your restaurants carefully. If they can't make your order and omit any problematic foods/spices for you, you have to go elsewhere. I got hit with a gluten intolerance several years ago, (which is in EVERYTHING), so that dictates where I can/cannot go out to eat. It just is what it is. And as time goes on, restaurants will be doing more and more "custom" dishes if they want to stay in business, as the food intolerances, allergies, etc. are only going to continue to rise, so more and more of the population will have these issues.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:23 PM

810 posts, read 1,341,760 times
It seems to have reached a point where virtually everything nowadays regardless of type of dish is becoming too similar. The repeated mantra of "There's no such thing as too much garlic" started by TV chefs back in the late 90's has definitely hit a critical mass with no signs of slowing down anytime soon.

Onions are definitely a bit easier to avoid, and thankfully not quite as pungent as garlic can be. Way too many recipes call for heaping amounts of onions and garlic cloves (1/2 cup of each for instance). Then you have the common addition of onion powder + garlic powder. The public has been conditioned to believe this is the best.

Would someone put nestle quik in chocolate milk? No, that would obviously be too much chocolate, and most could agree on that, but there's an inability with garlic or onions to draw the same conclusion.

You'll always hear about certain dishes being "too spicy", but rarely about them being "too garlicky/too many onions" - although it does happen. This entire thread for the most part has basically been 9 pages in defense of the excessive use of onions and garlic, or both in conjunction. No surprises there.

Without exaggeration, at this point, even a derelict could make a world-class mean the ways things are. Just pile on the onions and garlic with little regard for anything else.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:14 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,553,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
It seems to have reached a point where virtually everything nowadays regardless of type of dish is becoming too similar. The repeated mantra of "There's no such thing as too much garlic" started by TV chefs back in the late 90's has definitely hit a critical mass with no signs of slowing down anytime soon.

Onions are definitely a bit easier to avoid, and thankfully not quite as pungent as garlic can be. Way too many recipes call for heaping amounts of onions and garlic cloves (1/2 cup of each for instance). Then you have the common addition of onion powder + garlic powder. The public has been conditioned to believe this is the best.

Would someone put nestle quik in chocolate milk? No, that would obviously be too much chocolate, and most could agree on that, but there's an inability with garlic or onions to draw the same conclusion.

You'll always hear about certain dishes being "too spicy", but rarely about them being "too garlicky/too many onions" - although it does happen. This entire thread for the most part has basically been 9 pages in defense of the excessive use of onions and garlic, or both in conjunction. No surprises there.

Without exaggeration, at this point, even a derelict could make a world-class mean the ways things are. Just pile on the onions and garlic with little regard for anything else.

That's right, the majority is wrong, its the hypersensitive that should be catered too and what the majority of people enjoy comically referred to as excessive.

And your reductio ad absurdum argument is very convincing.

Where is the too many shallots thread I wonder? Probably in the too much flavor section.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:32 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,309,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
One of my sons is an onion hater, too. He is a good cook, but his recipes would be better with the addition of onions, IMO. I love them, and tend to add more than recipes suggest. A plate full of sliced onions sauteed in butter is my idea of a luscious indulgence. Don't understand the hate some people have for them, but to each their own.
In many cases it's not a matter of hate. I like the taste of more than one thing that gives me indigestion.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:05 PM

810 posts, read 1,341,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
That's right, the majority is wrong, its the hypersensitive that should be catered too and what the majority of people enjoy comically referred to as excessive.

And your reductio ad absurdum argument is very convincing.

Where is the too many shallots thread I wonder? Probably in the too much flavor section.
Don't forget the overusage of garlic butter/garlic olive oil/ garlic mustard in addition to the garlic cloves and garlic powder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink