Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cuisine do you prefer?
Chicago 30 49.18%
Philadelphia 24 39.34%
Both/Tie 7 11.48%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 06:15 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times

Advertisements

Chicago and Philadelphia are well known for having some of the best cuisine in America. Which city do you prefer when it comes to their local cuisine? Here are some examples.

Chicago

Chicago Italian Beef

Head here when next Chicago craving hits | Iowa City Press Citizen | press-citizen.com

Chicago Hot Dog

National Hot Dog Month: Fun Facts About Hot Dogs: Associations Now

Chicago Deep Dish Pizza

UChicago College Admissions, Chicago Deep Dish Pizza Recipe (mmmmm

Philadelphia

Philly Cheesesteak

http://www.dininginutah.com/diningim....lake.city.jpg

Philly Roast Pork Sandwich

A Philadelphia Sandwich Tour, Part Three | Movement Point

Stromboli

Guido's Premium Pizza, Pasta, Subs, Salads & Bread Waterford, MI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 06:25 PM

19 posts, read 43,996 times
PHILADELPHIA-- soft pretzels, thin crust pizza, roast pork sandwiches, water ice

Old 09-27-2014, 06:28 PM

53 posts, read 67,202 times
I mean Chicago is absolutely world class, they have Mexican food as good as LA, and the American molecular gastronomy scene is Chicago. But if we're going strictly off each cities' iconic foods as presented here... roast pork gets my vote every time. So underrated.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:52 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,513,048 times
I do like the dishes in the OP from both cities, but I consider Chicago to be a great food city. In fact, I think Chicago is the second best food city in America.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:15 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
I like Chicago style hot dogs. Just you can't find eateries in the northeast that has them. I prefer some sauce on a steak sub or hoagie and green peppers and I'm not fond of a cheese wiz type of cheese. So a Chicago Italian Steak sub or hoagie is my preference. For pizza I like all styles. But I prefer the thin CRISPY crust Pizza most common in Chicago neighborhoods to wimpy thin crust I find most common by me in the northeast. Contrary to popular reasoning? Deep Dish pizza isn't the most common pizza in Chicago neighborhoods.
--This Chicago-Style Hot Dog is a meal ��

Last edited by steeps; 12-29-2014 at 04:04 PM..

Old 09-27-2014, 08:00 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Overall, Chicago is the far better restaurant city. But since the OP asked about local...

"Wiz" is disgusting. So are Steak-Umms.
The OP didn't mention cheese fries. Ugh. They used to sell those at the Vet. Not sure if they do in Citizens.
Maybe stromboli was created near Philly, maybe Spokane, but I grew up with 'em in Connecticut and NY, so I don't associate it with any specific city. Nor do I associate pierogi with Chicago.
A roast pork sandwich is always a winner (but doesn't beat a Cubano in Tampa or Miami).
Pizza... I'm originally from the Northeast. I want to give that title to Philly, but honestly, I've had some excellent pizza (non-deep dish) in Chicago. The Philly pizzas I've had would be on the lower end of NYC/Hoboken scale.
A Chicago dog beats all other dogs period. And if you desperately needed to find a dog that was better than a Chicago dog, you'd go to Hot Doug's, which happens to be in Chicago.
A warm Philly soft pretzel is the pinnacle of pretzelness.
Um, scrapple... it's not bad. It's also not something I'd go out of my way for.

I think if I were forced to live on only the types of foods each city is known for, I'd go with Chicago in a heartbeat. And that the Mexican and Asian street food is outstanding only make Chicago all the better.

Oh, and before I forget... Intelligentsia, Dark Matter, Metropolis >>>> LaColombe.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:29 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Oh no, not another Philly versus Chicago thread! I much prefer Boston versus Philly threads because these two cities have more in common, being big cities of the Atlantic northeast with long and rich histories ... Puritan Boston versus Quaker Philadelphia.

First of all the traditional cuisine of Philadelphia includes much more elaborate dishes that comprise Shad, Shad Roe, "Pennsylvania Dutch" dishes, pepperpot soup, Snapper (snapping turtle) soup with sherry, Shoo-Fly pie, Lebanon Bologna, Scrapple, etc. So I guess my point is that equating Philly cuisine with cheesesteak sandwiches is dismissive and fatuous. In the 18th Century, when Philadelphia was the largest city in the British colonies and second largest English speaking city (after London itself) the docks were bustling with ships from all over the world: Europe, the Caribbean, Asia, Africa, etc. Spices, wines, victuals and ingredients were being unloaded daily. Amish and other farmers known for their excellent produce sold their goods in Philadelphia.

Does anyone know why the most popular brand of cream cheese - not just in the US but in many countries around the world - is called "Philadelphia Brand" Cream Cheese? Philadelphia Cream Cheese was never made in Philadelphia or even in Pennsylvania. (It was made in upstate NY) It's because in the Victorian and Edwardian eras (from about 1840 - 1914) Philadelphia was known world wide for it's high quality restaurants and hotel eateries. The very name "Philadelphia" signified the highest quality food.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:31 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The very name "Philadelphia" signified the highest quality food.
In the same way that "Philadelphia lawyer" meant shyster?

Old 09-27-2014, 10:04 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
This isn't even a competition, lol
Chi-town all the way

Old 09-28-2014, 12:44 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
Chicago: I'd love it, even though they can't make a hot dog worth eating.

Philadephia: Not one thing I'd ever eat there; cheesesteaks are worst in the entire country.

Winner, by a landslide: Chicago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink