Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2014, 03:57 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times

Advertisements

• I buy a ten piece from the store frozen.
  • During the drive home it will partially thaw of course (fifteen minute drive).
  • Get it home, put it in the freezer.
  • Want to cook a few pieces, it is still the frozen lump of ten that it was at the store. Individual pieces cannot be distinguished or separated.
  • Take it from the freezer to the fridge...
  • After 3 hours or so in the fridge, I open the package and can separate them with mighty feats of strength, they are still fairly frozen.

So at this time, I am cooking two pieces, must all the other go into the refrigerator to be cooked over the next week? Or can some go back into the freezer to wait another week, this time in separate bags?

I am looking for comments from experienced cooks - not people who read from the internet and then post here... I have already read the net comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 04:03 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
I would definitely put it back in the freezer, as long as it isn't completely defrosted. When I stock up on kitchen breasts during sales, they certainly began the day frozen. Sometimes half the pack is still frozen in the case. I clean them up, rewrap them, and refreeze. I've never noticed any issues with taste or quality. Come to think of it, even if it completely defrosts, if it's done the same day I bought it, I'm refreezing.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:07 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,304 times
Place the package under running cold water in your sink. This should help to thaw it enough to break it up. It will take some time for this to happen. DO NOT use warm or hot water to speed things up. You can then re-portion into freezer bags and place it in the freezer.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:29 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Well, I am an experienced cook and I would not buy frozen chicken (who knows when that chicken was packaged?).
Buy the pieces parts you want, and separate them into baggies. Thaw an individual serving when you need it.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:50 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,601,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Place the package under running cold water in your sink. This should help to thaw it enough to break it up. It will take some time for this to happen. DO NOT use warm or hot water to speed things up. You can then re-portion into freezer bags and place it in the freezer.
Totally agree with this. Also, in the future, see if that store carries IQF chicken pieces (individually quick frozen). Many do, and if yours does, then stick a cooler in the back of your car and put the frozen chicken in that for the ride home. Then you can re-portion the pieces without them having fused together from the car ride.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:54 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Separate the chicken pieces into smaller batches as soon as you get home, then refreeze. As long as the entire piece has not thawed completely, it can go back into the freezer.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:04 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Thanks

Old 09-29-2014, 04:12 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,762,210 times
We switched to the 5 or so pound bags from BJs that are individually wrapped breasts. They are more expensive but we had too many issues with sticking like you said. That way we just leave the whole bag in the freezer and just pull what we want. They are flash frozen and very juicy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink