Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 08:09 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,283,348 times

Advertisements

Salt as a preservative. Before refrigerators, meat was stored in buckets of salt. This method of preserving meat in the pre-refrigerator days is burned into my mind from John Steinbeck's novel The Grapes of Wrath. One of my favorite books ever.

I met someone recently, a gorgeous man with a gorgeous youthful face. He looks fantastic but he's not as young as he appears. He told me he has a lot of sodium in his diet and acknowleged that is not a healthy way to eat, but speculated maybe salt as a preservative has helped to delay his aging process?

I'm certified in nutrition and I know that salt is not a good thing to pile onto everything all day long. But this man is an adonis so I'm in rapture and am curious if a bit of sodium in one's diet could possibly contribute to a youthful-looking (well-preserved) face.

Or maybe (more likely) he's just gorgeous and can't help it and even poor eating habits can't stand in the way of his beauty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 08:21 AM

61,105 posts, read 85,909,223 times
Never heard about such thing! If anything - salt restriction may delay human aging.
This guy youthful face is probably a product of his genes. Some people look good for their age, some not. His salt intake has nothing to do with it.
Salt protects food against bacteria, mold, and spoiling. Basically, salt works by drying food. Salt absorbs water from foods, making the environment too dry to support harmful mold or bacteria.
So, if salt absorbs water, then theoretically it should make skin look dry and wrinkled...
Not only does salt dehydrate the body, but excess salt also contributes to kidney disease, high blood pressure and interferes with bone metabolism. Lowering salt intake could slow down the aging process of cells.

Maybe he uses salt externally? It's exfoliating, if he uses it as a scrub. It takes dead skin cells off the surface of the skin, leaving the skin smoother and more able to absorb moisture and nutrients.

Last edited by elnina; 09-30-2014 at 08:49 AM..

Old 09-30-2014, 08:32 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,283,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
If anything - salt restriction may delay human aging.
This guy youthful face is probably a product of his genes. Some people look good for their age, some not. His salt intake has nothing to do with it... Basically, salt works by drying food...
So, if salt absorbs water, then theoretically it should make skin look dry and wrinkled...
I agree. Thank you for talking science & sense :-)

He's gorgeous

Old 09-30-2014, 10:35 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,172,719 times
I think most people have no idea how much sodium they actually consume. Most processed foods today contain loads of salt, much more than most people would put onto any homemade foods. So this means that someone who mostly eats pre-made meals is likely to be eating a lot more sodium than someone who is making meals from scratch, no matter how much salt they add while cooking.

Anyways, salt should be part of everyone's diet, and unless your doctor tells you to cut your sodium intake you shouldn't worry about it. I doubt your friend's youthful looks having anything at all to do with salt - it's probably just genetic.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:03 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,501,820 times
Keep yourself hydrated that's the best advise I could make for those who wants to look healthy.

Salty foods don't help but drinking lots of fluid does.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:08 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,192,281 times
I think salt makes you retain water, so that may give you a youthful appearance.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:13 PM

15,084 posts, read 14,251,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Salt as a preservative. Before refrigerators, meat was stored in buckets of salt. This method of preserving meat in the pre-refrigerator days is burned into my mind from John Steinbeck's novel The Grapes of Wrath. One of my favorite books ever.

I met someone recently, a gorgeous man with a gorgeous youthful face. He looks fantastic but he's not as young as he appears. He told me he has a lot of sodium in his diet and acknowleged that is not a healthy way to eat, but speculated maybe salt as a preservative has helped to delay his aging process?

I'm certified in nutrition and I know that salt is not a good thing to pile onto everything all day long. But this man is an adonis so I'm in rapture and am curious if a bit of sodium in one's diet could possibly contribute to a youthful-looking (well-preserved) face.

Or maybe (more likely) he's just gorgeous and can't help it and even poor eating habits can't stand in the way of his beauty.
Smoke is also a preservative. Perhaps he should take up smoking.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:22 AM

19,957 posts, read 30,001,004 times
so this guy is a handsome guy and well kept for his age, and this may be because of eating lots of salt???

because salt is a preservative??

o.k. I'll go with that, im giving salt licks away for Christmas this year !!

Old 10-01-2014, 08:37 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,996,121 times
I'll guarantee this guys good looks have nothing to do with his salt intake.
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Gettin...87_Article.jsp

Old 10-01-2014, 09:58 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,680,637 times
Salt, fermentation, ice and fat were the preservation modes before refrigerators. Obviously ice and cool areas were used as well when weather permitted. Don't mistake their lack of appliances for a lack of knowledge. Ancient peoples understood food, in my opinion, better than people understand it today. They would ferment foods to help keep longer, they would also sprout and soak foods because they knew that doing so would be a means to better digestion and nutrient absorption.

Salt and acid is also a way to slowly cook and preserve food. Nordics would take salt, cut open a fish and salt the fish for a few hours then eat it raw with the salt on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink