Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .....
Yes 33 55.00%
No 27 45.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 07:35 AM

352 posts, read 324,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Oh thats at Upper East Side, what do you recommend from there?
Honestly, I only ate the Black and White cookies there, but they were so good that I made a return trip there (after sampling the supposed 5 best black and whites in the city) and brought several home with me. Even 1.5 weeks after purchasing and storing in a plastic bag, they were still amazing. In fact, I'm getting married in December and one of my groomsmen is tasked with bringing me some of those incredible cookies with him here to San Diego.

From what I saw, their bread looked amazing too, and there was a bit of a line considering the time of day I was there. NYC has so much amazing food. While there I also tried the soup from the Soup Nazi which lived up to the hype for me and was a surprisingly good bargain considering the hype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 07:38 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
No. IMO there is nothing in this world, let alone food, worth waiting in long lines. I'd either wait and try it when there wasn't much wait, or I would go without. Either way would be fine.
+1. That also goes for being put on a waiting list for a table at a restaurant. About 30 minutes is my limit, no matter how great the restaurant supposedly is.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:44 AM

19,529 posts, read 9,546,813 times
Think it was CalTorts in WDC during lunch break but in fairness, the line moved rather quickly.

A few times closer to home when new restaurants open. One can expect a wait. The people up front (seaters) often times will predict an extra 5 - 10 mins it seems so that when you are called, it seems like a shorter wait. Mr C and I usually just go to bar area and hang out until our name/# or beeper thing goes off.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:52 AM

948 posts, read 922,021 times
Many people in Japan assume that if there's a long line in front of a restaurant, that must mean it's good, so they get in line too. But some shops have been rumored to capitalize on this by hiring people to stand in line in front of their shop, to lure other people into joining the line.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:10 AM

43,675 posts, read 44,416,401 times
No and I never would also I was forced to.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:20 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,880,136 times
The only time I ever waited in a long line for food was when a tour bus I was traveling in got stuck in a remote area for 5 hours and, after transfer to another bus, we arrived at a tiny gas station with a vending machine. Everyone else on the bus was standing in the line, and I would have had to stand around anyway, so I figured might as well not faint from not eating for the rest of the journey.

I would never stand in line to get some trendy food (rolling my eyes here) or take out when there were other options.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:26 AM

235 posts, read 299,132 times
Yes. Back when I worked in the city these two Chilean guys operated a small food cart where they made these grilled chicken and steak sandwiches on some kind of flat bread with vegetables. Sounds pretty basic, but they were amazing. I don't know if it was the marinade or the sauce they used or what, but it was literally the best sandwich I've ever had. The line would be down the block but it was so worth it.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:36 AM

2,061 posts, read 4,136,290 times
While I was stationed on USS Midway we had to plan to send our workers to lunch so they had about 2 hours to eat because lines were about 1 1/2 hours. The line to cut the line was about 45 minutes long. Night before coming into port after a long cruise was even longer as it was a meal worth waiting for (won best mess afloat while I was on). Nearest alternative food was a walk on water away. When I got off this ship (3 years 2 months 9 days) I swore I'd never wait in a long line again~ miss a few great things but don't care to stand in lines.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:42 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times
Yes, but never because of the presumed "quality" of the food served.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:13 AM

152 posts, read 458,213 times
Yes, I have for a few places already mentioned in this thread:

Garrett's popcorn (Chicago): worth it!
Sprinkles cupcakes (L.A.): very overrated, wouldn't buy them again even if there was no line at all
Cafe Du Monde (New Orleans): definitely worth the wait

And there was a pizza place in Boston that I can't recall the name of right now, but it was very good and also worth waiting in a line that snaked around the block.

But now that I have a preschooler who has very limited patience when it comes to hunger, I tend to skip any place that requires longer than a 10 minute wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink