Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .....
Yes 33 55.00%
No 27 45.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 06:44 AM

15,948 posts, read 12,306,708 times

Advertisements

no... I make it a point to go when most people do not... hit up places right when they open or at 2:30 in the afternoon. Same with going to the park or whatever... everyone herds in there at 6:30pm... with my unusual work schedule I take delight in going at 1:30pm or starting my vacations on a Monday morning in September to avoid the high hotel prices and masses of tourists...

when on the interstate I make it a point to drive a speed that keeps me by myself away from the clumps of traffic..
most people have a herd mentality whereas I want my space....

nothing worse than going to a walmart at 6:30pm and having a line for the self checkout... give me 9am instead... or even 3am for that matter if I happen to be adjusted to night shift.... God bless 24 hour grocery stores like hyvee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 07:06 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,661,262 times
I don't. My limit is about 15 minutes, and only if it is something special.

I do find the idea that people who seek out what is supposed to be the best of a cuisine and wait in line for it are "mindless sheeple" when the mud slinger has a limited palate and culinary background to be mildly amusing.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:33 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,299,741 times
Successful chains that have good quality food with excellent service and fair prices are going to have long waits. Chick-fil-A, McDonald's and Taco Bell are examples.

If long lines are a product of understaffed restaurants, that would be serious corporate issues undermining service, quality of the product, and lost revenue.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:50 AM

16,397 posts, read 30,314,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
nothing worse than going to a walmart at 6:30pm and having a line for the self checkout... give me 9am instead... or even 3am for that matter if I happen to be adjusted to night shift.... God bless 24 hour grocery stores like hyvee.
The problem with 24 hour supermarkets is that MOST of what makes a great supermarket great (deli, repaired foods, bakery, butcher, etc.) is generally closed after 7 pm. And that includes HyVee.

Will be in HyVee on Wednesday ...

Old 10-03-2014, 11:04 AM

32,669 posts, read 48,139,958 times
Many years ago, we used to drive 30-40 miles to go to Dudley's Bakery in Julian (S CA). Then stand in line for a very long time. There would be long lines for all of the 10 cashiers who worked as fast as they could.

We'd buy 10 loaves of bread and some cookies, and then go hiking or sight seeing. If it was the right time of year, we'd buy local apples.

That was the very best and freshest bread ever. Their jalapeno bread was to die for. I'd go stand in line again, just to get some, except now it would be a 20 hour drive to get there.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:48 AM

168 posts, read 274,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I stood in line at Dreamland BBQ in Tuscaloosa, Alabama on A-Day one year. It was a great experience. I took a friend from California, and we really got to know several of the folks in front of us and behind us.
"Ain't nothing like em, nowhere". I've never waited at Dreamland, but always avoided game days and went early. That cinder block building holds lots of great memories!

Old 10-03-2014, 11:51 AM

758 posts, read 1,641,808 times
I waited in a 15 minute line (to order...then had to wait for the food) at some hamburger place in Hawaii. I didn't realize there would be such a wait, but my mom insisted that I had to try the burgers. I guess that they are famous. Not that I even recall the name of the place.

And, also in Hawaii, I've waited in a 10 minute line to order malasadas at Leonards.

But hours? Absolutely not.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:01 PM

168 posts, read 274,900 times
I wanted to try Pecan Lodge in Dallas and went at 4pm on a Saturday. Still had a 50 minute wait, but it was worth it. Best BBQ in Dallas and always ranked in top 5 in Texas. Next trip to Austin, I might give Franklins a try.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:38 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,706,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Successful chains that have good quality food with excellent service and fair prices are going to have long waits. Chick-fil-A, McDonald's and Taco Bell are examples.

If long lines are a product of understaffed restaurants, that would be serious corporate issues undermining service, quality of the product, and lost revenue.
Are you kidding? Junk food joints have lines where you live? A few years ago Sonic opened a shop in Roseburg, the first one in the area. For the first month you couldn't get within a block of the place. After the lines went away I sampled one of their burgers, and it was a lowly 2 on a scale of 1-10. I never went back. That seems to be the general consensus, because the place is empty almost all the time now. OTOH, there is a Mexican restaurant (not Tex-Mex) across the street that is always full. Most times you can get a table, and you end up waiting 20 minutes for your food, but the drinks come right away. Sometimes we order take-out there. They have a 32" nacho tray that will feed 20 people at a pot luck. It features fresh Pico de Gallo and 3 different kinds of salsa, along with the traditional olives, fresh tomatillos, refritos, sour cream and chips. The prices are about the same as you would pay at Taco Bell.

I can't believe there is a town of over 10,000 people anywhere in the USA that doesn't sport a decent Mexican restaurant. Why would you eat that tasteless chain store crap?

Old 10-03-2014, 12:47 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,824,301 times
I have been to two of the restaurants in that list--Pinks Hot dogs and The Pantry Cafe, both in Los Angeles. I didn't have to wait in a long line because it was probably after 2AM when we got there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink