Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 05:59 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,440,154 times

Advertisements

Brussels sprouts in bacon and balsamic vinegar....lordy, lordy what a wonderful treat. We have them every Thanksgiving.

question for those of you who have mentioned that you buy good bacon....may I ask, what brand? I usually only buy bacon once a year at the holidays. I am going to be looking for a really good brand. Love bacon but we dont eat a lot of it. When we do, we want the best!! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 06:23 AM

4,176 posts, read 3,367,930 times
Brands aren't what they used to be. Mom stuck with a certain brand for soecial occasions, and when I bought it more recently it was garbage.

I just go by what's on sale and what the package looks like.

This morning we shredded a small home-grown potato and fried the shredded patty in pepper bacon grease. It was awesome.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:21 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,837,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Brussels sprouts in bacon and balsamic vinegar....lordy, lordy what a wonderful treat. We have them every Thanksgiving.

question for those of you who have mentioned that you buy good bacon....may I ask, what brand? I usually only buy bacon once a year at the holidays. I am going to be looking for a really good brand. Love bacon but we dont eat a lot of it. When we do, we want the best!! Thanks.
don't get Gwaltney regular- so thin it tears- thick is just OK. stick with name brands and not store brands. I don't buy Smithfield on principle but usually buy name brand on sale and freeze a bunch of it.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:16 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,130,382 times
I usually buy thick cut bacon from the butcher counter not prepackaged stuff. Today I did buy a package of Cracker Barrel bacon which was $7.99 for 20 oz on sale for $7.19. Then I had a dollar off coupon for it so $6.19 the prepackaged 12 oz was $4.99 and up. So fatty too I can't imagine what it looks like under the packages hope this center cut CB bacon will be meaty all the way through.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:21 PM

187 posts, read 194,202 times
I'm originally from Montana and love to fly fish. When out camping and fly fishing we would always have a jar of bacon grease with us to use when pan frying brown and rainbow trout that we caught out of the stream.

There's absolutely nothing like eating a couple of trout fried in bacon grease in a seasoned iron skillet over a roaring camp fire at dusk in the mountains of Western Montana.

Yes, the scenery is as good as the fish.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:53 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,509,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapruder View Post
I'm originally from Montana and love to fly fish. When out camping and fly fishing we would always have a jar of bacon grease with us to use when pan frying brown and rainbow trout that we caught out of the stream.

There's absolutely nothing like eating a couple of trout fried in bacon grease in a seasoned iron skillet over a roaring camp fire at dusk in the mountains of Western Montana.

Yes, the scenery is as good as the fish.

That sounds perfect. Of course, I'm imagining no mosquitoes.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:46 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,135,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
Ok foodies, who among you takes part in this old-timey way of using bacon grease to cook in?

Squash patties:

2 cups zucchini squash, grated
1 egg
1 package Mexican cornbread mix

Combine ingredients.
Roll into balls, then flatten into patties (or flatten with a rollin' pin & cut with a cookie cutter).
Pan-fry the patties in bacon grease.
Serve warm.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:44 PM

22,643 posts, read 6,396,557 times
Only rarely, if we have bacon, eggs fried in it taste good (but a bit greasy of course).

Old 11-28-2014, 10:32 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,740,811 times
I love bacon gravy.

Mix 3 tbsp bacon fat with 3 tbsp flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper. Cook till lightly golden. Stream in 2 cups of milk stirring with a whisk over medium heat till thick and bubbly. If I have slices of cooked bacon, i crumble one in. It's my version of country gravy.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:02 AM

19,497 posts, read 22,389,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
That sounds perfect. Of course, I'm imagining no mosquitoes.
Keep imagining that- they're here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink