Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 09:20 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,823,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
I work in the healthcare field and we rarely eat out. Just knowing the contagious diseases that people are walking around with makes me stay frugal and eat at home. There are certain things like TB and Hep B & C that are endemic in certain countries. Those people come to the US and work in the food industry, etc. Since we know that only 1 in 20 wash their hands properly... I don't want to think of the statistics in the low paid food service business.

There was a time when we did eat out without thinking about it. But after getting sick a few times (we ended up in a DC hotel once for 5 days with an ER visit after my husband ate fast food, told the hotel to firebomb our room when we left!) it is rare that we eat out anymore. If we are feeling the need for fast food we will usually stop at the grocery and pick up some frozen stuff and add a salad to it while waiting a few minutes for it to cook at home. If we are traveling we either take a cooler (by car) or pick up some things nonperishable that will survive in our backpacks and hotel room (by air). It's amazing how well we do with protein bars, a few pieces of fruit, and some bottled water! And pretty much anything goes if we are packing the cooler...we make it very nice, like a good picnic.

Just think about the level of education of the average food service worker. Only at the finest of restaurants are you more likely to find workers who are paid a livable wage and are supervised by someone who is educated enough to follow the health laws.

Just sayin' that I have seen my fair share of positive test results and I just don't want to gamble on where they happen to be working...or touching my food.

I have no doubt that this is true. You made excellent observations. My wife and I very rarely eat out. Maybe once, or twice a year, and never at the "chains." As for washing of hands, I sometimes wash mine 2, or 3 times in the course of making a meal. Sanitation is paramount for safety when cooking, I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 12:02 PM

88,002 posts, read 83,827,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
We used to go out every weekend, with the kids. total bill could be ~ $50 with the kids eating from the kids menu, and we would just get water, let the kids have soda. But, as time went on, it became more and more expensive and less and less enjoyable.

Of course, the "kids" are now teenagers and certainly don't eat from the kids menu anymore! My son can put away 2 slabs of ribs before I've even cut into my grilled chicken Last time we all went out to eat it came to $100+, not including tip!

But it would still be worth it if we enjoyed ourselves as a family. They will be gone too soon as it is, I would like to have some quality time with them, but it seems those days are past. They are simply glued to those damned phones The minute we walk into a restaurant they are checking for Wi-Fi, and literally don't stop fiddling with those things through the whole meal. I've tried asking them to please put the phones away and chat with us, then, they "hide" the phone under the table and continue texting, surfing, whatever. They can literally eat with one hand and text with the other. I mean, why even bother taking them out? What really hurts the most, they are usually keeping up a constant chatter about how they're stuck with their parents, eating out again, even talking about how we're dressed----Dad's a fat old man, I'm a dumpy old lady, who looks like she found a sale at Sears....we keep trying to act like we care about them, we're sooooo phoney, trying to suck up to them by taking them out for "fun". Hey, look, I saw that accidently and just asked for the meal to go, I had tears in my eyes, guess they tweeted about that, too.

Look, who paid the bill? The fat old man and the dumpy old lady! Oh, and they did enjoy their meal, we let them pick out the place, its not like we were stuck at a Luby's for 2 hours.

Ok, now, DH and I still enjoy one night out a week. We just don't bother with the kids, obviously, that's not their "thing". We do the afternoon lunch which is cheaper, try to use coupons, specials, etc Life's too short not to enjoy as we go along. I guess if I sat in the dark and ate a can of beans bought on sale I would save some money, but to do what with? I've already bought my grave plot
Who pays for their phones? The people they are trashing?

Old 10-14-2014, 02:11 PM

802 posts, read 636,312 times
Quote:
We used to go out every weekend, with the kids. total bill could be ~ $50 with the kids eating from the kids menu, and we would just get water, let the kids have soda. But, as time went on, it became more and more expensive and less and less enjoyable.

Of course, the "kids" are now teenagers and certainly don't eat from the kids menu anymore! My son can put away 2 slabs of ribs before I've even cut into my grilled chicken Last time we all went out to eat it came to $100+, not including tip!

But it would still be worth it if we enjoyed ourselves as a family. They will be gone too soon as it is, I would like to have some quality time with them, but it seems those days are past. They are simply glued to those damned phones The minute we walk into a restaurant they are checking for Wi-Fi, and literally don't stop fiddling with those things through the whole meal. I've tried asking them to please put the phones away and chat with us, then, they "hide" the phone under the table and continue texting, surfing, whatever. They can literally eat with one hand and text with the other. I mean, why even bother taking them out? What really hurts the most, they are usually keeping up a constant chatter about how they're stuck with their parents, eating out again, even talking about how we're dressed----Dad's a fat old man, I'm a dumpy old lady, who looks like she found a sale at Sears....we keep trying to act like we care about them, we're sooooo phoney, trying to suck up to them by taking them out for "fun". Hey, look, I saw that accidently and just asked for the meal to go, I had tears in my eyes, guess they tweeted about that, too.

Look, who paid the bill? The fat old man and the dumpy old lady! Oh, and they did enjoy their meal, we let them pick out the place, its not like we were stuck at a Luby's for 2 hours.

Ok, now, DH and I still enjoy one night out a week. We just don't bother with the kids, obviously, that's not their "thing". We do the afternoon lunch which is cheaper, try to use coupons, specials, etc Life's too short not to enjoy as we go along. I guess if I sat in the dark and ate a can of beans bought on sale I would save some money, but to do what with? I've already bought my grave plot
That is one of the saddest things I've ever read.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:13 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,004,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I know I have and have saved a little over 100 a month not eating out . and if you add that up at the end of 12 months I will have enough for a cruise ...much more worth it than eating out .
Are you subtracting the food that you have had to purchase and your TIME preparing it? Judging from the cost of groceries I doubt that you have saved as much as you think you have.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-14-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngID View Post
They should consider moving out of state one day while the kids are at school.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:31 PM

802 posts, read 636,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
I don't eat out at all, mainly because I do not trust the under-payed un-educated slobs to prepare germ free meals. Saving money and eating better are just the bonus.
Wow! Bet you were a treat to wait on. That is pretty much the most classless comment I've seen on the internet. And that's saying a lot.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:01 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,822,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngID View Post
Yet it's so common.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
I don't eat out at all, mainly because I do not trust the under-payed un-educated slobs to prepare germ free meals. Saving money and eating better are just the bonus.
What if they are educated enough to spell "underpaid" and "uneducated"?

Old 10-14-2014, 05:52 PM

19,957 posts, read 30,001,004 times
Quote:

phones are a part of life now,,,however if my kids disrespected me the same way id take their phones and stomp on them,,,tell them "im done" you want a phone you pay for it"

Old 10-14-2014, 06:08 PM

10,103 posts, read 19,302,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
I work in the healthcare field and we rarely eat out. Just knowing the contagious diseases that people are walking around with makes me stay frugal and eat at home. There are certain things like TB and Hep B & C that are endemic in certain countries. Those people come to the US and work in the food industry, etc. Since we know that only 1 in 20 wash their hands properly... I don't want to think of the statistics in the low paid food service business.

There was a time when we did eat out without thinking about it. But after getting sick a few times (we ended up in a DC hotel once for 5 days with an ER visit after my husband ate fast food, told the hotel to firebomb our room when we left!) it is rare that we eat out anymore. If we are feeling the need for fast food we will usually stop at the grocery and pick up some frozen stuff and add a salad to it while waiting a few minutes for it to cook at home. If we are traveling we either take a cooler (by car) or pick up some things nonperishable that will survive in our backpacks and hotel room (by air). It's amazing how well we do with protein bars, a few pieces of fruit, and some bottled water! And pretty much anything goes if we are packing the cooler...we make it very nice, like a good picnic.

Just think about the level of education of the average food service worker. Only at the finest of restaurants are you more likely to find workers who are paid a livable wage and are supervised by someone who is educated enough to follow the health laws.

Just sayin' that I have seen my fair share of positive test results and I just don't want to gamble on where they happen to be working...or touching my food.

My kids both have food handlers permits, required to work in fast food. I was shocked at the requirements---just spend x amount of time staring at the information, no test, nothing to indicate you understood a word of it. Then, pay $10 and you have your permit. A chimpanzee could get a permit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink