U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 06:02 AM

77,800 posts, read 98,068,611 times

Advertisements

When I couldn't sleep last night because of all the thunder storms and rain this came to my mind: I thought and thought: here is what I came up with:

the best single meal: the Rainbow room in NYC many years ago. It might not have been the very best, but they had a fixed price meal with good choices, a band was playing and the price was not nearly as expensive as we had been led to believe. The best food anywhere for us, was our second trip to Hong Kong. We were there a week and have fantastic food every day and night, including Asian of course, French and continental.

I think our worst was also in NYC. We looked and looked for a really good deli place, but it had to be close to our hotel. Well we found a diner and I just knew they would have the best pastrami sandwiches in the world: I guess I don't know much, cause they certainly didn't. The worst on a vacation was the 8 nights w spent a couple of years ago in Toronto. The first four nights we were in a time share and I did most of the cooking, but we did go out for lunch a couple of times. We hit a very busy Chinese buffet and thought it would be great. Except for the atmosphere it was no different than any Chinese buffet but with a price tag twice as high as in America. Our hotel, the last 4 nights was an airport location, but actually about 5 miles from the airport with nothing around it. We did eat in downtown Toronto 2 nights or late afternoons, the places we chose were anything but a happy memory. Normally we would have grabbed a taxi and found someplace meaningful but the cost of taxies in Canada would almost double the cost of the meal. In all fairness, this was a vacation that was somewhat a budget one, so we didn't seek out the top dining choices. All I know is the food in Montreal, a few years earlier was much better. The best thing we had in Toronto was a hot dog and fries from a little food truck. The fries were freshly cut and deep fried, not frozen and there must have been 6 condiments to put on the dog, which was a polish link, not just a cheap hot dog.
Rate this post positively

Old 10-10-2014, 06:58 AM

25,626 posts, read 34,736,502 times
Best: French Laundry

Worst: French Laundry

Both for the same paradoxical reason.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:56 AM

5,653 posts, read 6,535,101 times
Best was at Cin Cin in Auckland. Two of the three courses were orgasmic. The other was a top 5.

Worst was in Bologna. I don't recall the name, but it was near the train station and as it was a late Sunday afternoon, there weren't many places open. Service was very slow despite us telling the waiter we were hoping to eat relatively quickly as we had a train to catch. And then the waiter broke a wine glass into my wife's salad, spilling wine all over the place. He took away the salad, then brought back a new one, with blood from his bleeding hand all over the edge of the plate. We got up and left.

We've had food poisoning at a couple of places, horrendous service at others and numerous awful meals. But waiter's blood on a plate definitely made that restaurant "special".

Old 10-10-2014, 08:13 AM

7,844 posts, read 12,518,426 times
We've had many "best meals". We no longer exchange gifts for our birthdays and anniversary so we go out to a high end restaurant and treat ourselves. One of the best meas was at the Four Seasons in NYC. The food was excellent but the ambiance and service was by far the best experience. Same with Teller's in Islip NY. It's an old bank converted into a beautiful chophouse. The "vault" is magnificient. It's filled with an array of wines. Service is outstanding as well. We found a meal can be mediocre but when you have fantastic service, it trumps the dry burger.

We've also had a few "bad meals". One that I recall most was at a Brazilian restaurant. We waited a good 15 minutes before a server came by. Service was very slow and the meats were just "meh". The buffet that is served with the bbq meats had nothing extraordinary. They never asked how our meal was nor did they ask if we wanted another beverage so we stuck with the water refills. Then it took them a good 20 minutes to bring our check. We almost considered a "dine and dash". When they finally brought the check we threw the exact change on the table and left. That was probably the first time ever, and only time, that we didn't leave a tip.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:10 PM

26,150 posts, read 18,379,586 times
Best: Ponderosa (I love thier mac salad)

Worst?? -- I dunno.......... Probably when I joined my family for Dinner @ this place called something PASTA (I cant remember the name) -- Disgusting!!

Old 10-10-2014, 12:51 PM

6,040 posts, read 5,537,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

Would love to hear more.

My best is a 2-way tie.

One was at a formal Russian restaurant in Montreal one night during a terrible ice storm. We were staying in a hotel very nearby. Nobody was on the roads or streets and accordingly, we were the only customers in the restaurant. The food was sublime but mostly I remember how amazingly comfortable they made us feel, the waitstaff, musicians, etc. VERY gracious in an awkward circumstance.

The other was at a rustic taverna on the island of Naxos. Suffice to say it was "farm to table" in the truest sense of the phrase. Watching the owner pick our tomatoes and greens and point out the nearby sheep from whose milk our cheese was made...and it was all spectacular.

The worst? I tend to forget those.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:05 PM

577 posts, read 862,283 times
Best meal eating out was at a yacht club in MA. I had a pasta with salmon doused in an olive oil that was phenomenally fragrant and flavored. I've never been able to find an olive oil that good and I've tried many mainstream & specialty brands... any suggestions?

Second best was an italian restaurant in Manhattan, since closed, they served a marsala chicken pizza. Sounds weird but it was unbelievable, more of a crisp foccacia with a bit of brown sauce and tender chicken, no cheese and some fresh herbs.

Worst would be an Italian restaurant in Astoria Queens that had been incredible but changed hands... such awful, disgusting, bland food and it took more than an hour to get to the table. Blech. We should have refused to pay. What was supposed to be a risotto /chicken piccata dish looked and tasted like uncle ben's with a hunk of flavorless boiled chicken. Gross.

Sorry but can't remember the names of the places...

Old 10-10-2014, 01:12 PM

7,672 posts, read 11,914,786 times
Best meal was in Jamaica. Everything was local, sizzling and delicious. I crave that meal! In fact, some of the best foods I had were in Jamaica! (people's houses, tiny shacks that passed as restaurants and farms)

Worst meals-really almost all chain restaurants lately. In fact the last one I went to was Olive Garden as it was the friend's choice of venue for her birthday. I ordered the mushroom ravioli something other. Pasta on the ravioli was barely cooked and dry, inside was cold. (since it was barely cooked!) Sauce was congealed to a jelly blob that wiggled when the plate was set in front of me. No thanks.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

I can understand that, just like our best and worse vacation was a cruise.

I also have to agree with momofthree: most chain restaurants are getting pretty bad. I still like Bonefish and the last time we ate at Outback it was ok, not gourmet, but for the price I don't expect top of the line

Last edited by nmnita; 10-10-2014 at 01:54 PM..

Old 10-10-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Best was at Cin Cin in Auckland. Two of the three courses were orgasmic. The other was a top 5.

Worst was in Bologna. I don't recall the name, but it was near the train station and as it was a late Sunday afternoon, there weren't many places open. Service was very slow despite us telling the waiter we were hoping to eat relatively quickly as we had a train to catch. And then the waiter broke a wine glass into my wife's salad, spilling wine all over the place. He took away the salad, then brought back a new one, with blood from his bleeding hand all over the edge of the plate. We got up and left.

We've had food poisoning at a couple of places, horrendous service at others and numerous awful meals. But waiter's blood on a plate definitely made that restaurant "special".
OMG, I hope you eventually got something decent to eat that night...I am sure we have all gotten food poisoning from someplace and just thought it was a 24 hour flu bug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink