Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 03:26 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
Denny's is a better option for late nite... if you do not want to wait, fully expect cold dead food that's been sitting around for an hour or so..
Burger places were never really designed to cater to a late night crowd of a few intoxicated stragglers..
For that you need steam table type operations such as Taco Bell, where they cook everything 10 pounds at a time...
But when I eat that type of food it is usually because it's late at night, and there is nothing else open. Denny's is not an option. The only Denny's around here closed about 10 years ago.

The time of day could have had something to do with it. The woman was doing double duty working both the drive-thru and the counter. But I don't see it much better in the day time either. At lunch time they may have two or three cashiers at the counter, but only one at the drive-thru. Unless they have a double drive-thru, which are pretty rare.

I guess the solution is pretty simple. If you really believe that drive-thru service is so superior, then use the drive-thru. But I have a feeling you are just going to be frustrated when you see people at the counter getting their food before you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 05:04 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Cattle call. In and out and you aren't trashing up their restaurant area! Probably costs less to serve drive thru!

Old 10-12-2014, 06:03 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,988 times
No indoor problems if you and your family stay in the car....You're not messing up the dining area,
your kids aren't throwing food on the floor and you are not stashing tons of napkins in your purse.
No one is creating a dirty bathroom...or spilling soda on the floor so someone will slip and claim your
place is unsafe....Many reasons to have people stay in their car...and they like the product handed to
them so they don't have to get out, especially in bad weather.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:22 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,424,323 times
I'm not frustated at all... I'm not the op... I was a fast food general manager for many years when I was younger. .

I am merely stating facts as I know them to be true... from experience. .

Old 10-12-2014, 07:35 PM

183 posts, read 322,860 times
I rarely go to fast food places around here unless I'm with someone who wants to eat there but it seems like the drive thru is so much busier that it has to take priority. As someone posted from the counter you can see what chaos is truly like and what it must be like to work in a place like that.

One time a friend of mine said that he always parks and goes in just to make himself (and kids even if along) get out of the darn car! I thought that was just brilliant and have followed it ever since. Way to many people seem to live out of their front seat these days as we seem to have drive thru for everything around here. And also a high percentage of overweight, sedentary people.

All the McDonalds around here spent a small fortune making their insides modern and hip like a Starbucks or something with nice seating, TVs, WiFi, even conference tables for large groups, etc. and it seems like nobody goes inside! We practically get it all to ourselves. The irony is that it was all probably paid for with the drive thru income!

Old 10-12-2014, 07:38 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Follow...the dollars...

Watched a big special on this.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:42 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,380 times
I used to do phone call orders - not at fast foot places, but at places like AppleBees. Worked out well. These days I don't eat out much because I watch my sodium. I have become very skilled at cooking low sodium, healthy dinners. I eat a Mediterranean diet, mostly fresh produce, fish, and whole grains. But a doc told me I have to eat red meat occasionally. Instead of a burger joint I treat myself to some awesome broiled rib eye steak or New York Strip steak - became very skilled at that also.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:03 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
One rant I've meant to go on and will today, since this happened again today--why do some fast food places seem to give ALL the attention to people in drive-thru while being content to make people at the front counter wait all the live long day?

Apparently the assumption is that people in drive thru are in a hurry, and dine-ins are in less of a hurry. I can say for sure, in my case anyway, such is not the case. Sometimes, in fact, I go inside because the drive-thru lines are long and I'm trying to circumvent them. Either that, or I'm going inside because it's my lunch break at work and I want to leave the premises of my job for awhile for eating purposes, yet I'm still in something of a hurry because I have only so much time and want to get "settled" in, and can't until the food is ready. On top of all that, I have been in drive-thru where you get stuck behind someone ordering $35 worth of food, surely they can't expect to be done in a hurry.

Yet, invariably, if I'm inside, they seem to pay 95% of their attention to drive-thru while I at the front get the shaft. Heck, it's been awhile, but I've worked fast food before, and when I did, I made a point to treat all customers equally important, and if someone in drive-thru had ordered $35 worth of stuff and complained I would say to other persons "they ordered $35 worth of food, what they did think was going to happen?"

Remarks?
Because most places the parking lot is part of the drive thru -- and if they let the drive thru pile up it will affect the walk ins and hurt business, because all the parking will be blocked by the drive thru line.

Have to say, all the fast food places I've seen have dedicated drive thru clerks. It doesn't affect the walk in crowd at all.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:28 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
I have always wondered about In-N-Out drive through. When I go inside to order it's usually a 10-15 minute wait. Yet the cars are flowing thru the drive thru. I wonder if the staff people designated for the drive thru?

Going forward I'm not ordering inside anymore. Go Animal.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:15 PM

419 posts, read 846,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Substitute "drive-thru" with "phone" ... and substitute "fast food places" with "so many retail establishments" ... and I've got the same question and rant as you have.

How is the person on the phone -- who is comfy on their couch, in their pajamas, I imagine -- more important than the person who dragged their tush into the store, who also has questions or wants to pay for their whatever-they-want-to-buy? It's so simple to say "Would you mind holding for a moment?" and deal with the person who is in front of your face, and was already talking to you before the phone even rang.
Just visited a national retailer who answered their main phone line, said there were (physically) other people waiting in line ahead of the callers. Then the customer service rep gave the callers a choice to hold or to get a call back later.

That was a refreshing change!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink