Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 10:10 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,570,751 times

Advertisements

If you read the label, there are a lot of chemicals in canned soup. That, along with the sodium content, is a concern.
Many people are now focusing on eating whole, unprocessed foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 11:00 AM

420 posts, read 704,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I remember church cook books with whole chapters dedicated to "a can of condensed ..." Never tried it as it looks not overly appetizing when it plops out of the can. SO is very sensitive when it comes to sodium. So - a bit of cream in any shape, for or size and whatever flavorings here. Have you tried the site of Campbell's?
When I first started cooking I was living in Arkansas and got my recipes out of those church cookbooks and Southern Living recipes, and yes! almost every soup and entree recipe calls for a can of cream of whatever-is-on-hand. I use to keep cream of chicken and mushroom stocked in my pantry, but now it is such a rare occasion that I use it that I never really thought of it as an issue.

When I was at the store in the stock section I did see that there was a box of "cream starter" which I had never seen. I played with using it, but then decided not to.

I also could have sworn they had low sodium alternative to the cream of chicken, but could not find it.

I ended up getting the cream of chicken and making the recipe. I had to tweak it it quite a bit, but it ended up turning out very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

Honestly, I don't understand why people would be "appalled" at using canned soups or say "don't, just don't." Yes, it would be healthier if we all made our own everything, but that's not real life ... at least not for me.
Yeah, peoples response to the recipe was something along the lines of "I would NEVER give 5 stars to something that calls for cream of chicken!"

I love being healthy as well, but sometimes convenience wins out for me.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:51 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Tuna casserole is great with some noodles, a can of tuna, a bag of frozen mixed vegetables and a can of condensed cream of mushroom. It's fast, cheap, edible and nutritious. Sometimes I add chopped onion and use cream of celery instead.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:16 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
I don't think I ever had a tuna casserole.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:20 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
The amount of sodium you will consume in a few servings of that dish is not going to do any more damage to your health than eating at a fast food place once in a while.
It isn't like you are going to eat it daily for every meal the rest of your life.
Your other choice is to make your own cream of chicken soup.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:33 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The amount of sodium you will consume in a few servings of that dish is not going to do any more damage to your health than eating at a fast food place once in a while.
It isn't like you are going to eat it daily for every meal the rest of your life.
Your other choice is to make your own cream of chicken soup.
Mmmm....that reminds me. It's been years since I made Cream of Leek soup. I hope I still have my mother's killer recipe.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:22 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Not everyone has a problem with sodium. My blood pressure is always low and my cholesterol is always on the low side of normal. At 67, my doc says I have the arteries of a 20 year old. I can eat as much salt as I want with no health concerns. I do use the half and half potassium/sodium chloride, more because it keeps my electrolytes balanced better than from any need to avoid salt.

I do sympathize with people who have atherosclerosis or renal disease, but prescribing a low sodium diet without even a physical exam is nonsense.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:45 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I agree with everyone else, that soup is full of sodium, yada, yada, and I'm not a fan of convenience foods at all. However, there are several stand by recipes I use throughout the year which use canned creamed soups and I wouldn't dare deviate because they are family staples.
These are, Tuna Casserole, which uses Cream of Celery, Paula Deen's Beef Stroganoff, which uses Cream of Mushroom, "the dreaded" Thanksgiving green bean casserole which uses one of them, and the Hash Browns Cheese casserole we have every Christmas with Cream of Chicken.
Could I make another version? Sure, but I don't want to. I doubt very much that my guests will be plunged into hypertension over a few holiday dishes. Would I feed salt laden soup to my kids everyday? No.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:47 PM

997 posts, read 1,060,503 times
When I first got married over 25 years ago, and was just learning to cook, I often used canned cream of chicken soup in dishes. As the years passed, and I became a far better cook, I learned that I prefer to cook meals using better ingredients.

If it's something that you like, and your diet is not restricted, then by all means go for it. Then, look into ways to replicate the taste you crave using fresh ingredients where you can regulate the fat & sodium content.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:10 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,783 times
there was a time, as some have mentioned, when cooking with canned cream soups was very popular.

We call those recipes "anna canna"...... tuna, noodles, frozen peas anna canna cream of mushroom soup Maybe some crushed potato chips on top before it goes in the oven.

It can make a good hearty dish quickly. I would enjoy it occasionally for the nostalgia factor.

Now I use sour cream, butter, schmaltz, etc, and my own seasonings to get the same effect. Not exactly health food

To me, low sodium canned soups are inedible blech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink