Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 08:41 AM

11,940 posts, read 8,263,141 times

Advertisements

BBQ in MN is a mixed bag. I do like John Hardy's BBQ in Rochester, MN. The original owner came from Alabama.

DH does some smoked baby back ribs that are pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 02:31 PM

20,859 posts, read 28,189,865 times
There was a BBQ joint in Laurel Delaware that we would go to when we went down there (BIL has another home down there) Best Ribs I ever had, homemade raspberry Iced tea, great sides an inexpensive. Last time we went to visit we went there. Sadly the place closed I think the place was called the Pit. It was a small whole in the wall place.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:11 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,147,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
We tried a bunch of different BBQ restuarants while in KC last summer. Jack Stack was my least favorite. I ordered burnt ends, but was given sliced brisket. When I mentioned this, both the server and manager insisted that the sliced meat on my plate was actually burnt ends. The brisket wasn't bad, but I would never go back to a place that treats their customers like idiots. Plus their sides weren't good.
Wow. What location was that? Their burnt ends and brisket look nothing alike, although burnt ends do come from the brisket portion. The brisket is, like you say, sliced meat, and the burnt ends are cubes. I've always had excellent customer service, so kind of surprised that you experienced that.

I'm not really a fan of cubed burnt ends, though. I prefer TRUE burnt ends that are actually crispy little pieces as opposed to cubes, but true burnt ends are hard to find because there is such a demand for them that restaurants "make" burnt ends cut from brisket. Joe's KC does serve true burnt ends on Wednesday nights and Saturday mornings while they last. Zarda used to have good true burnt ends, but that was years ago.

Q39 is good. And I like Joe's. Jack Stack is our favorite/go-to, though. We order baby back ribs for two, which comes with big three sides to share. They don't charge to swap sides even to premium sides, so we usually get a combination of loaded baked potato, veggie kabob with horseradish sauce and either baked beans or coleslaw or side salad or broccoli with garlic butter or potato salad. I'm not a fan of their cheesy corn or cheesy potatoes, but lots of people love the corn especially.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:26 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,934,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Wow. What location was that? Their burnt ends and brisket look nothing alike, although burnt ends do come from the brisket portion. The brisket is, like you say, sliced meat, and the burnt ends are cubes. I've always had excellent customer service, so kind of surprised that you experienced that.
I'm not familiar with the different locations, we were over near the WWI museum.

Yes, I have had burnt ends many times before at bbq restaurants in St. Louis. Since they are supposed to be a specialty of Kansas City bbq, I wanted to try them at an actual KC bbq place. At first, I thought they had my order mixed up since I knew what the burnt ends were supposed to look like. It definitely ruined the meal when I was told that the brisket was actually what their burnt ends looked like. I don't know if they were just out of them, or what the deal was... but it was weird to be lied to like that. I'd prefer they admit that my order was rung up wrong, or that they were out of something than to treat me like an idiot who knew nothing about what I had ordered.

Joe's Kansas City was good, but I didn't think they were better than the bbq places I enjoy here in Saint Louis- Sugarfire, Bogarts, The Shaved Duck, or even Pappys.

Old 03-09-2022, 03:56 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,769,526 times
Default Are there really regional differences in BBQ

Are there really regional differences in BBQ styles?

The main four that MSM always touts is NC, Tex, KC, and Memphis. I believe each states, and or region/city likes to tout their own if you go local enough. But does each place mostly stick to its regional style?

I have tried BBQ restaurants in northeast states, small towns in Cali like Tehachapi, Austin, Houston, and in Kansas. Cant say I detect any differences between the places. In fact there seems to be more difference between each local restaurant within a given area.

I ate at the Salt Lick, but they apparently arent Tex style BBQ. Then I been to this other place in Austin, and they much saltier, but was told is more authentic Tex BBQ. I went to Houston, and ate at Pappas BBQ which is a chain. It tasted no different from BBQ spots in the Northeast. The Northeast does not really tout its own style though. I ate at a KC restaurant, then I go to place called Smoked Creation in a small town in Kansas called Ottawa and I cannot detect what makes it different from anywhere else yet were different from each other.

Old 03-10-2022, 04:58 AM

23,809 posts, read 33,297,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

The main four that MSM always touts is NC, Tex, KC, and Memphis. I believe each states, and or region/city likes to tout their own if you go local enough. But does each place mostly stick to its regional style?

I have tried BBQ restaurants in northeast states, small towns in Cali like Tehachapi, Austin, Houston, and in Kansas. Cant say I detect any differences between the places. In fact there seems to be more difference between each local restaurant within a given area.

I ate at the Salt Lick, but they apparently arent Tex style BBQ. Then I been to this other place in Austin, and they much saltier, but was told is more authentic Tex BBQ. I went to Houston, and ate at Pappas BBQ which is a chain. It tasted no different from BBQ spots in the Northeast. The Northeast does not really tout its own style though. I ate at a KC restaurant, then I go to place called Smoked Creation in a small town in Kansas called Ottawa and I cannot detect what makes it different from anywhere else yet were different from each other.

I'm in NJ, seems like a lot of places are moving away from what is "traditional" BBQ of say wet ribs, they're smoking them or using a dry rub. My hub had gone to Texas 10+ years ago, dry rub was big back then. I turn on BBQ shows, most seem to favor dry rubs or smoking.

To me, if it isn't "sauced" it's not traditional BBQ.

I make a mean country style wet rib that has a small kick to it. Everyone loves them.

Old 03-10-2022, 05:27 AM

936 posts, read 812,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
To me, if it isn't "sauced" it's not traditional BBQ.
I'm sorry, but you don't understand BBQ at all. Many people have that misconception that BBQ is all about the sauce. It's not. BBQ is about taking some of the crappiest and worst cuts of meat and transforming them until they taste like a very expensive cut of meat. It's like turning cheap $5 hamburger into $75 prime rib. That's the art of real BBQ. That's why some the best BBQ restaurants in Texas and Kansas City serve their BBQ naked (with sauce on the side). They have nothing to hide. They're showing you what you paid for, and the best BBQ doesn't need any sauce at all. Only amateur pit masters drown their BBQ in sauce, praying and hoping that you won't notice that you're eating lousy BBQ.

Last edited by RDM66; 03-10-2022 at 06:02 AM..

Old 03-10-2022, 07:19 AM

5,804 posts, read 6,850,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Our friends from Harnett County do a good job 'splaining things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY

Old 03-10-2022, 07:33 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,351,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
I'm sorry, but you don't understand BBQ at all. Many people have that misconception that BBQ is all about the sauce. It's not. BBQ is about taking some of the crappiest and worst cuts of meat and transforming them until they taste like a very expensive cut of meat. It's like turning cheap $5 hamburger into $75 prime rib. That's the art of real BBQ. That's why some the best BBQ restaurants in Texas and Kansas City serve their BBQ naked (with sauce on the side). They have nothing to hide. They're showing you what you paid for, and the best BBQ doesn't need any sauce at all. Only amateur pit masters drown their BBQ in sauce, praying and hoping that you won't notice that you're eating lousy BBQ.
I live in Texas and have for about 25 years so I've had my fair share of Texas BBQ.

Every single BBQ place I've ever been to serves plenty of sauce on the side. I like most BBQ sauces, regardless of the flavor, and regardless of the cut of the meat or how it's cooked or whatever. For the record, I prefer a brisket but I also really like ribs (either pork or beef, doesn't matter). Chopped, sliced, you name it, I like it! And I'm not even a big meat eater generally.

I don't want drier BBQ.

I went to Memphis a few years ago (also St. Louis) and tried the BBQ there. Big differences regionally and there are also big differences throughout the very large state of Texas. Some places prefer a dry rub of many spices, some prefer a dry rub of just salt and pepper, and some prefer a sweet sauce over a very slow cooked meat. It was all good but I personally prefer the East Texas type of BBQ.

https://www.masterclass.com/articles...texas-barbecue

Old 03-10-2022, 11:28 AM

32,514 posts, read 47,541,342 times
I think the big difference is in the barbecue sauce. The meat itself isn't going to be too much different. It might vary from restaurant to restaurant due to differences in the rubs, but the rubs aren't regional to any sort of discernible extent.

Basically, a big chunk of meat is slow smoked in a smoker and that is true all around the country. It appears to me that some of the southern states like a vinegar sauce and as you go north you are more likely to encounter tomato based sweet barbecue sauces, so that is a regional difference.

Everyone uses the same big chunks of meat: brisket, pork butt, ribs. It doesn't matter where you put those on a smoker for 12 hours, they are going to come out much the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink