Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 09:23 PM

256 posts, read 342,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
BBQ pork can be dressed with vinegar or served with no sauce at all. I've been BBQing pork for twenty+ years and I've perfected several variations, depending on the group I'm feeding.
pulled pork with vinegar and toast.... now... thats some good eats! Maybe i'll add tangy bbq sauce if in the mood, but doesn't need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 12:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
An easy way to do it is
simmer a couple of pork loins in a big pot of water with a splash of liquid smoke for about 2 hours, at this point they will be very tender, take em out of the water,shred em and mix in your favorite BBQ sauce and you now have a reasonable BBQ pork.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:50 AM

810 posts, read 1,449,538 times
I came down to NC and I don't get this BBQ thing at all. To me it's just oatmeal but with meat instead of oats.

Up in the Rust Belt they knew how to make blue collar food.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
I am more of a carnitas guy myself, but how did bbq pulled pork become the new big food trend in the US. I see it alot at parties now...

and chain restaurants like Subway, Hometown Buffet, Wendys, etc all have a variation of this as a new food item on their respective menus

How did the trend start?

https://www.wendys.com/en-us/chicken...-pork-sandwich

https://www.subway.com/menu/Product....&ProductID=270
Like so many things, it just got a reputation and became the trendy thing to serve or sell. I remember the first time I herd the phrase, pulled pork. It was at our sons wedding reception in N.C. They had an outdoor barb b cue event with the main food; pulled pork sandwiches. Then of course pork shoulder and butt was so cheap and tasty more people started using it instead of more expensive cuts. I would say, it replaced brisket as a outdoor family eating event. One thing led to another and now, as you say, it is everywhere. We love it, but enough is enough.

Of course we can say the same about a lot of foods: what about Cesar Salad? Hardly anyone heard of it til about 15 years ago. And how about using fresh herbs, how many grew up using basil in so many dishes or cilantro for that matter? I think we could go on and on, foods, like so many other things can be very trendy, just to did a slow death.

Jambo: pulled pork isn't the same if you use loin and certainly not try pulled pork if you boil it. Slow roasting, I mean slow will do if you can not smoke it. In desperation have seen it done for hours in the crock pot, still not the same.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:54 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Because everyone wants to be as cool as North Carolina.
And Virginia.

Here, we call it "barbecue"!

Yummy!

Pierces' in Williamsburg, Virginia is a local eatery devoted to making the world's best barbecue!

Old 10-19-2014, 12:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
My wife tried this once... those Hawaiian sweet rolls in the red/orange bag (which are really good for sliders) with BBQ pulled pork, it was to much sweet on sweet since the BBQ sauce used was very sweet. And then with the sweet baked beans, there was just to much sweet going on that night for me, I told her thanks but never again.
That would be too sweet for me too. My BBQ sauce is not very sweet, because of the large percentage of vinegar in it. The recipe took me 15 years to develop, trying to duplicate my favorite family-operated BBQ place in Oakland CA. I hear a few years ago the place went out of business because the patriarch died without giving anyone the sauce recipe. My cole slaw is not sweet either, with mustard and vinegar in it.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:44 PM

256 posts, read 342,830 times
I have to say that if you think BBQ, and/or pulled pork, is trendy then you sure aren't a southern! :P
Its more of a way of life.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:53 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
I like BBQ, but the origin of it is quite funny. Everyone back in the day used to know they would take the worst cut of meat and slow cook it to tenderize it.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:23 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
pork shoulder butt is one of the cheapest cuts on the critter, it is well marbled, which means its tasty!

so, its cheap and tasty, why wouldn't it be a great item??

more and more folks are using there slow cookers,,, which they are making more and more pulled pork- because it will fall apart and tender

maybe the rest of the country is catching up with the south!!

I've always liked pork butts and slow cooked/smoked them- always had good luck,

its the same with ribs, more and more people are slow cooking/smoking them for fall off the bone tenderness and flavor
again,,,maybe the rest of the country is catching up with the south

more fresh briskets are selling too- to slow cook/smoke
but briskets are quite expensive !! (over 3.00lb sometimes 4.00lb)

Old 10-19-2014, 02:24 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,950,818 times
I'm originally from Memphis, & all this "pulled pork" stuff irritates me. First of all, the term "pulled pork" was never used until a few years ago. It was always referred to as barbecue. We always laugh about it. If you were to go into a real BBQ joint/restaurant, not only would the aroma of hickory-smoked meat hit you, you would also hear the unmistakable sound of a cleaver in constant motion--a rhythmic bam bam bam sound of the pork shoulder being chopped. Chopped--not pulled!

Real Memphis BBQ is pretty much the same thing as carnitas. Slow smoked pork, chopped.

Hopefully, this "trend" will fade away. It's sad that some people's only exposure to BBQ is the sugary sauce-drenched stringy "pulled pork" being sold to the masses.

Now don't get me started on "chicken & waffles", "hot chicken", or shrimp & grits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink