Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 09:33 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,543 times

Advertisements

You are seeing pulled pork everywhere not because it is a popular food item, per se, but because the pork industry influences food chains to push pork. Of course there are people who genuinely like it, but we are being told what to like more than we know or like to admit. Remember a year or two ago when bacon was on everything, including on ice cream sundaes? Bacon lovers pizza, the Baconator, bacon, bacon, bacon! The pork growers are very influential. Plus, restaurant suppliers will push whatever they can make the most profit on. Believe me, those who supply the food you will be liking next year are already busy planning it.

And whoever said carnitas is pulled pork...yes, it is pork, but not at all the same dish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 09:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transdimensionalhottie View Post
I have to say that if you think BBQ, and/or pulled pork, is trendy then you sure aren't a southern! :P
Its more of a way of life.
and this might be true, but it has become trendy. Years ago, the only place you heard of pulled pork was in the south (barb b cue has been around for years) now pulled pork is everywhere, yes, it is trendy. You would never have seen a fast food restaurant advertise pulled pork sandwiches 15 or 20 years ago, not even 10 years ago. That is why the term "trendy". It is just like Thai food: it is trendy, but has been served in Asia for years.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:36 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
I like BBQ from Speedy's in Lexington, NC

Old 10-20-2014, 01:16 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
You are seeing pulled pork everywhere not because it is a popular food item, per se, but because the pork industry influences food chains to push pork. Of course there are people who genuinely like it, but we are being told what to like more than we know or like to admit. Remember a year or two ago when bacon was on everything, including on ice cream sundaes? Bacon lovers pizza, the Baconator, bacon, bacon, bacon! The pork growers are very influential. Plus, restaurant suppliers will push whatever they can make the most profit on. Believe me, those who supply the food you will be liking next year are already busy planning it.

And whoever said carnitas is pulled pork...yes, it is pork, but not at all the same dish.
Very true. The food industries also use health to push many products, funding "research" that shows how there is some chemical in the food that is a great antioxidant or boosts the immune system, or whatever. Thus the sudden explosion of enthusiasm for oatmeal, olive oil, chicken, lean tasteless pork, etc. (the only lean pork that tastes good is ham, imo).

Old 10-20-2014, 01:59 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
BBQ in Texas is still Beef Brisket.
BBQ in Texas is beef brisket, pork ribs, beef ribs, pork sausage, beef sausage, chopped pork, chopped beef, barbacoa, chicken etc.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:03 PM

520 posts, read 775,902 times
I don't know about the rest of you, but I must say that the more mediocre pulled pork I encounter, the less I like it in general.

When you go to a good barbecue place and they serve properly smoked and seasoned/sauced pulled pork, that's one thing.

However, WAY too many restaurants seem to take the cheapest cut of pork they can find, cook it until it falls apart and use it as their meat du jour. I have had lousy and bland pulled pork in cuban sandwiches, on pizza, at Tex-Mex Restaurants and everywhere else that has jumped on this unfortunate trend.

It seems like pulled pork is appearing in many places instead of properly sliced roast pork. I can't help but think that the reason for this is the lack of a good enough cut of meat and/or proper cooking technique. When I see pulled pork outside of a barbecue joint, I think the chef must be lazy, cheap or incompetent.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:11 PM

4,186 posts, read 3,400,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
It is Mexican pulled pork but it tastes IMO much better than the sweet stuff being served in most places as BBQ pulled pork. Does BBQ pulled pork always have to be on the sweeter side, or are there different variations.?

At my house, if you want that candyfied stuff, you can add it yourself with your sammich. We do a rub, moderate smoke, plenty of bark, no sauce.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:41 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
At my house, if you want that candyfied stuff, you can add it yourself with your sammich. We do a rub, moderate smoke, plenty of bark, no sauce.
Same here. I enjoy it without sauce as well as with a little bit of sauce. But pulled pork is about the only thing I enjoy with a wet sauce anyway. I eat every other kind of barbecue dry.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:32 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Because everyone wants to be as cool as North Carolina.
Because NC is the only place pre-2012 you could find BBQ as they call it.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:47 PM

6,503 posts, read 7,533,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
I'm originally from Memphis, & all this "pulled pork" stuff irritates me. First of all, the term "pulled pork" was never used until a few years ago. It was always referred to as barbecue. We always laugh about it. If you were to go into a real BBQ joint/restaurant, not only would the aroma of hickory-smoked meat hit you, you would also hear the unmistakable sound of a cleaver in constant motion--a rhythmic bam bam bam sound of the pork shoulder being chopped. Chopped--not pulled!

Real Memphis BBQ is pretty much the same thing as carnitas. Slow smoked pork, chopped.

Hopefully, this "trend" will fade away. It's sad that some people's only exposure to BBQ is the sugary sauce-drenched stringy "pulled pork" being sold to the masses.

Now don't get me started on "chicken & waffles", "hot chicken", or shrimp & grits.

Hahahha, I was only pointing out the new phenomenon that I notice nationwide and wondering what it can be attributed to and there have been pretty good responses so far.

But it doesn't anger me like it sounds like it does you. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink