Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 05:17 AM

1,198 posts, read 661,569 times

Advertisements

This is actually a really hard exercise for me to do, because my brain has been trained/wired for so many years to reject food and see it as good and bad, healthy and unhealthy. Eat for pleasure? Fun? Taste? without guilt or shaming? without deserving it? But I will give it a try.

thick slices of homemade white bread, still fresh from the oven, lathered with butter and honey

chocolate milk, full fat

soft glazed donuts and fancy coffee

homemade macaroni and cheese

cornmeal/parmesan/garlic crusted whitefish sandwich with a little mayo and onion on bun
sweet potato fries on the side, and maple roasted Brussels sprouts (which no one in my family eats)

as many bananas and strawberries as my heart desires, maybe with some shaved dark chocolate in a bowl, or with chocolate hummus

torn between chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, or carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, so maybe both lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 07:36 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
One of many options for a great birthday meal:

Appetizer of fresh mozzarella, home grown tomatoes, a bit of olive oil and freshly ground pepper, accompanied by a freshly baked sourdough bread. A light white wine to accompany.

A second course of gazpacho.

Main course, steak florentine, lightly roasted vegetables, a thick dark bread. Chianti of course, but I would be ok with mixing regions and substituting a dark Rhone valley red.

Salad to clear my palate. Nothing fancy.

For dessert, a cheese plate, heavy on the bleus and stiltons, with more red wine to accompany.

Looking at other posts, I am a bit surprised at all of the lobster items. Shellfish does nothing for me, and I would be incredibly disappointed if that were to be the feature of my birthday dinner.

Last edited by fishbrains; 01-20-2019 at 08:18 AM..

Old 01-21-2019, 06:18 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
All I would want is unlimited steamers, with butter, and cold beer....and it would be a must, to have it on my back deck. Unfortunately, my birthday is in January.
My husband and I used to put clams and oysters on the gas grill in the winter. We'd bundle up and stand by the heater, grill, and eat hot bivalves dipped in hot butter. You should try it some time.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:03 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
love this post...

I put out a facebook blast of a 1 1/2 inch thick rib eye steak - dubbed it a birthday steak 5 years ago (you get 10% off on your birthday) and a few stores are doing this now.

lobsters and prime rib would also be my picks and love love steamer clams in butter.

my birthday was last week ( 324 in dog years) and I had lobsters n prime rib cooked it myself ...mmm mmm good

growing up my dad was a lobsterman.....id work on his boat in the summer... up to my elbows in bait...smelled like a herring ...but we would cook up lobsters everyday with melted butter.....never got sick of them...

Old 01-22-2019, 05:18 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,717 times
Prime rib
Lobster

Scallops wrapped in bacon
Filet mignon wrapped in bacon

Martini dry with two olives

Great thread !

Old 01-22-2019, 08:43 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,928 times
Wow, so many amazing choices. Mine would be a flaky breakfast pastry, slathered with European butter, fresh strawberries, European yogurt, with a cup of Alto Grande or fresh ground Blue Mountain.
Lunch would be a Thai shrimp salad, sushi, or a trip to a great Italian restaurant for some fabulous homemade pasta.
Dinner would be someplace like Ruth’s Chris, a sizzling steak with lobster mac and cheese, a couple glasses of a good Oregon Pinot Noir and slice of cake with real buttercream frosting. Maybe finish with an Irish coffee or good desert wine like eiswein.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:12 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Eggplant Parmesan, side of pasta and a piece of garlic bread. For dessert, probably a few, maybe chocolate layer cake w/ an eclair. I never eat this much ever though.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:20 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
I couldn't eat it all in one day, but these are things I'd like to eat. I wouldn't break it up into meals; just eat all day.

Ribeye
Crab legs with lots of drawn butter
Crab bisque
Homemade and noodles (homemade egg noodles)
Crispy fried potatoes smothered in cream gravy, preferably made from bacon grease
Shrimp scampi with angel hair pasta
Big chopped salad with white balsamic dressing
Crème brulee

Old 01-24-2019, 06:32 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,042,790 times
One dozen Wellfleet oysters
20 oz Ribeye
1 LB King crab legs w/lots if melted butter
Creamed spinach
Whipped cream fresh strawberry and banana birthday cake from Cieslak's Modern Bakery in Lindenhurst, NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink