Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 07:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
PS: Worse mistake a cook can make is chopping an onion and putting into a dip
or a salad....where it over powers the flavors
and can actually burn the tummy a bit. (Ruins the palate for awhile)

Solution:

Chop or slice the onion and place in a bowl of ice water for 10 minutes while chopping other things.
They will turn as sweet and mild as ever.

OR prepare an onoin for future use by peeling it, root off, cutting a big
one in half or quarters...and storing
it in a baggie in the refridgerator.
Voila! SO much milder...ready for any salad.

Great topic!
thanks for the tip. I am going to give this a try. We are never to old to learn and they say, you can not teach as old dog new tricks? Little do they know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 07:56 AM

709 posts, read 955,165 times
Quote:
PS: Worse mistake a cook can make is chopping an onion and putting into a dip
or a salad....where it over powers the flavors
and can actually burn the tummy a bit. (Ruins the palate for awhile)

Solution:

Chop or slice the onion and place in a bowl of ice water for 10 minutes while chopping other things.
They will turn as sweet and mild as ever.

OR prepare an onoin for future use by peeling it, root off, cutting a big
one in half or quarters...and storing
it in a baggie in the refridgerator.
Voila! SO much milder...ready for any salad.

Great topic!
I like a little raw onion(red especially) in my salad. I don't want it muted. So really can't say it is the "worse" mistake a cook can make.
Different strokes for different folks.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:04 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
I like a little raw onion(red especially) in my salad.
I don't want it muted. So really can't say it is the "worse" mistake a cook can make.
Different strokes for different folks.
If it is very thinly sliced, freshly peeled I can maybe take it.
But, you are right...different strokes. I do love onions.

A warmed artichoke dip in a crock pot at a Gallery opening was ruined bec the owner
didn't know to do the 'cold thing'...all you tasted was strong onion...no other flavors...
you would have loved it...
Many didn't, tho. First bite, you knew.

And I use superlatives way too much!

Old 10-30-2014, 09:23 AM

88,570 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I cook with yellow onions for their robust flavor, I use sweet onions when I'm preparing a dish that requires a mild raw onion (burgers, sandwiches), and I use red onions for pickling and when I want a bit of "heat" in raw onion dishes and salads.

I avoid using white onions entirely, unless they are very young - I find them bitter.
I could have written this. Love a nice slice of Vidalia on a burger.

I use red onions in salads; otherwise, I buy the regular yellow onions for soups and stews and pot roast.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:13 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,290 times
Default I saw Willlard Scott ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh my, have you ever really tasted the wonder of a great sweet onion? Our favorite in Vidalias which are only available in the spring, but there are other wonderful sweet varieties year around. A yellow onion is what we use for cooking and the reason for red onions, in my opinion, is simply for looks. I don't think they are much different than a standard yellow onion but they are pretty and sometimes more mild. We use them in salads and sometimes on a sandwich. I am a huge onion user. Rarely do I use white onions, I am not crazy over the taste and they are usually more expensive. I have no idea why.

...you remember? Smucker's 100 y/o birthday greeter persona/1st McDonalds Clown? eat a Vidalia Onion like an apple on air.

You know you can.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:45 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
If I am caramelizing, I use reds. I love love love the flavor when it's deliciously browned.

If I am charring, such as on grill etc, I use white. I love the bite of the white onion with the meats. It holds up to grilling as well.

For rest of the dishes, I cook with small yellow onions. It's the nicest combo of being sweet without being too sweet. It sautes quickly but doesn't turn to mush.

Sweet onions I rarely use, too sweet for me. At least the ones we get here. Plus no or too little onion flavor for me personally.

I actually prefer to use shallots for most things as it's my absolute fave. I have all kinds of shallots, fried, baked, dehydrated and fresh in my pantry at all times. (I got the first three at the Asian markets)

Old 10-30-2014, 10:47 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
I don't use red onion in cooking or salads, it is too sweet for me and Mr. CSD.
We prefer the flavor of the onion adding to that particular dish so when cooking I use white or yellow onions.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:48 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
If I am caramelizing, I use reds.
I love love love the flavor when it's deliciously browned.

If I am charring, such as on grill etc, I use white.
I love the bite of the white onion with the meats. It holds up to grilling as well.
You do? Only reds caramalizing...I must do that!

Old 10-30-2014, 11:18 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
In the early spring you can find young vidalias with the green stems attached (the bulbs are a bit larger than a golf ball). Remove the root threads, sprinkle with olive oil, and toss a bunch of those on your grill and let them cook until soft. Season with salt and pepper, some folks also drizzle with balsamic vinegar or lemon juice - what a yummy treat.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:24 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
Quote:
You do? Only reds caramalizing...I must do that!
All onions can caramelize, some better than others etc. So not only reds, but I personally prefer only reds when I caramelize.

Especially for french onion soups or souvlaki.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink