Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 06:34 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times

Advertisements

About table location-a couple of diners in our town have closely spaced two seater tables, where we're practically sitting in the lap of the strangers eating next to us. Just because we're a couple and not a family of four or more doesn't mean we should be punished by having to hear every word of another couple's conversation (nor they ours). I always ask for reseating in those cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 06:48 PM

587 posts, read 915,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Someone has to say it, but screaming/crying babies and kids.
Another good one! In fact, you can combine kids + tables with so little space between them that you might as well be sitting with strangers and that would describe our last experience at an expensive trendy restaurant in Boston. Last and only! I wish we *had* walked out of that place -- it was so expensive for food that was as greasy and salty as a truck stop.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:19 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,127 times
Restaurant in the Phoenix area. No air conditioning - in the middle of summer.
Health department should have shut them down. It was that bad.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:42 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
We usually don't walk out. We endure and do a Yelp review later.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:49 AM

59 posts, read 82,939 times
When could be so many reasons to a person to get out from the restaurant that can be because of he didn't like the food or may be he got some important work to do etc..

Old 11-03-2014, 06:41 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlowvart View Post
Would you have stayed?
Smart move. I would have left as well.

I usually leave it the employees are texting instead of taking care of the customers. As soon as I see a phone come out and people waiting for anything, it is time to go. I don't go out as much as I used to because the service of this new generation is horrible, due to the addiction of media. They can't stop themselves.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:41 AM

810 posts, read 1,448,997 times
Smell will do it for me. If they wiped the table with a cloth that's dirtier than the table was (salad dressing!) or mopped the floor with water that was dirtier than the floor was, I'm out of there.

I went to a Taco Bell once where apparently the bathroom exhaust fans were exhausting to right where you stood to place your order. That was bad. At that particular time, real bad.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:02 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Last time I walked out of a restaurant was a little more then three years ago. We were visiting the Eastern Shore of Maryland and Virginia. We stopped at a place on Chincoteague. It was fairly empty but it took forever to get seated. We ordered a couple beers and a milk for my son from the hostess. Sat down, looked around, only other people in the place looked like hardcore alcoholics. Glanced at the table and dead flies were on it. I pointed it out to my husband. We walked out. I will not compromise on cleanliness, ever.
A restaurant we used to go to all the time changed hands but kept the same menu so we decided to give it a try under the new owner. We placed an order for our usual when we were seated. Once we were settled in - noticed how really dirty everything was, the table was sticky, the glasses had spots, floor was fithy, dead bugs in the windo sill ...etc.
So we just got up and left

Old 11-03-2014, 08:42 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,414,660 times
Default What makes you walk out of a restuarant?

When my wife lifted her partially eaten steak only to find a dead cricket under it...(she's my ex now. I think it's funny).

When a waitress at a small cafe greated me when I first came in then visited with her friends at another table then decided to wait on me 20 minutes later. I waited until she finally came to wait on me and I didn't say a word. I just got up and left...

In Dallas, at a restaurant that had only one waitress. I left when the only cook quit after getting into an argument with the waitress in front of all of the customers.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:34 PM

44 posts, read 47,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlowvart View Post
We went out for breakfast this morning. Our favorite place was too busy so we decided to try a new place. We walk in and stand next to the Please Wait to be Seated sign. We are ten feet from the counter where two people are cooking. No one says hello. A waitress looks at us, says nothing. We wait five minutes. No one greets us. The place is half empty and no one seems particularly busy.

We sit at one of the empty tables- maybe they forgot to move the sign after the rush? The waitress comes up and asks us if someone had sat us. We said no. She says that it'll be a few minutes and walks off.

We decided to cut our losses at that point and just leave. Would you have stayed?
I absolutely would NOT have stayed. I might have explained why we sat down... and then left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink