Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 12:11 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,712,128 times

Advertisements

What do you put on yours? Do you bake the crust first for crispness (I love thin crust crispy). Is the pepperoni from the deli ok to use or does it have to be the small ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 04:04 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,991 times
http://home.nc.rr.com/bad_mojo/10312008_pizza.jpg (broken link)

Just made this one tonight.

My crust routine is a pain. I first take my oven up to 500. I have the bottom lined with unglazed quary tiles, so it takes awhile to get up to 500. Then, once it hits 500, I turn it off and immediately kick on the broiler. I first use pan with a dusting of corn meal, and put the pizza under the broiler until I get some color on the crust and cheese, then I take it out, transfer it to a pizza peel (that wooden thing the pizza is on) and use that to get it onto the tiles, where it gets crispy in about 5 minutes.

Toppings are always light - I like it loaded, but the wife doesn't, and I like it just as well fairly simple, so that's what I do. One half of the above is plain, the other is mushroom.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:35 PM

424 posts, read 1,676,214 times
Default It depends on my mood and what I have on hand

I am NEVER in the mood for pepperoni so I can't help you out there (pepperoni gets all icky and slimey when it is cooked on a pizza...now on the other hand I like it in calzone, pizza bread, or just sliced and eaten uncooked). But it you want it on your pizza, I imagine any form would do, just sliced thin.

I usually make my own dough.

As for the crust, and the pizza itself, I usually prebake it on some tiles or stones in my oven as hot as it will go...remove it from the oven, apply my ingredients, and then pop it back in the oven. Now here, I'm talking about a thin crust type or even a thick crust.

As far as what I put on it, that will vary. I like pizza without a red pizza sauce much of the time, so I make a "sauce" of melted butter and olive oil (with fresh minced garlic, usually) for this type. I slather it on the dough and put my preferred toppings...typically crumbled (cooked) Italian sausage, mushrooms, onions, and tons of mozzarella and other typical Italian cheeses. I like to put some Asiago, Parmesan, Fontina,and Romano on the top if I have them. This same basic pizza with nothing but the cheeses is also great. Thrown on some fresh basil leaves if you like...or some oil-packed artichoke hearts, rosemary,spinach, etc., if you like.

I also like a red sauce at times. Usually with that type I like meats, cheeses, and the usual other toppings. I like a good mix of herbs in this type sauce. I usually don't put spinach or artichokes on this type, but onions, mushrooms, peppers, and olives work OK.

I vary sometimes whether I put the main cheeses beneath the ingredients (and sauce) or on top.

Sometimes I like to make a flavored crust...with some garlic, toasted sesame seed, or rosemary, etc.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:18 PM

513 posts, read 897,153 times
I usually buy fresh pizza dough or make it homemade then put on a pizza stone. I top with home made pizza sauce, cheddar and pizza cheese, vegetables or pepperoni. Cook at 450 degrees for about 16 minutes. I also do a breakfast pizza, top dough with cooked scrambled eggs top with cheese, sausage, greenpepper, bacon etc.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:14 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
I don't pre bake the crust, but I have the oven real hot, and I put cheese on the dogh before I add the sauce. That helps to keep it from getting soggy...And any kind of pepperoni will work, though it's not one of my typical toppings.Lately it's been roasted garlic, artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes..

Old 10-31-2008, 08:12 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
Pillsbury dough crust works fine, if your in a hurry. Just cook it for 5-8 minites, before putting your pizza sauce on, and toppings.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:21 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,952,205 times
I make my dough in the bread maker, on dough only cycle. Then I spread it on my wooden peel after dusting it with cornmeal. Spray the dough with Pam, add sauce, then cheese and anything else you like, parmesan cheese, oregano etc. I like onions also. The last one I made was a Margarita, tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil. I prefer homemade pie to store bought and I hardly ever eat frozen.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:42 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Hamburger with the pizza sauce stirred into it.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:04 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,698,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Pillsbury dough crust works fine, if your in a hurry. Just cook it for 5-8 minites, before putting your pizza sauce on, and toppings.
Boy, wish I had read this the other day! I bought some of the Pillsbury dough crust to try. I usually don't make pizza myself....I should as my family loves it!
I cheat and buy take out... It's my evening away from the kitchen!!

The pre-cooking the crust might of helped my poor pizza out, I think or maybe not!!!
Thanks for the idea, I give it one more chance....

By the way good thread.... maybe I'll become a stay home pizza maker! Good information!!

Old 11-03-2008, 02:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,592 times
Default Homemade pizza

When you make homemade pizza,you know what goes into it.There are no additives or harmful ingredients like high-fructose corn syrup.This homemade pizza recipe gets its gourmet flavor from only the freshest,organic tomatoes,an all-natural homemade pizza dough and special gourmet cheeses:fontina and smoked mozzarella.
Classic Pizza Recipes:
I will be adding some mouth watering Classic Pizza dishes to the recipe section such as Margherita,Funghi,Pepperoni, Salami, Toscan and many more.
-------------------------------

[url]www.drivenwide.com[/url]

Last edited by rosejenifar; 11-03-2008 at 02:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink