Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 07:27 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,810,057 times

Advertisements

I ordered my first rib roast for the very first holiday dinner I was hosting at my new home. I was very excited and ordered it at a butcher shop where I just started to shop at being new to the neighborhood. I consulted with the butcher as I had no idea how much to order. I did show him how it was recommended to get rib number x through x (can't remember now)

Day of holiday they were open for pick ups only for brief time. I get my brown paper wrapped order and rush to the register as I was anxious to get home and slow cook it before guests arrived as my grandfather wanted to eat at 2. I get to the cashier to be told it was just shy of $200. I gaped at her stunned and said was that correct? Sure enough... that was the price. I paid for it as it was a custom order. I just never thought in a million years it was going to be so pricey.

Turned out that it was prime AND dry aged. My family loved it saying it was like butta. Grandfather said I actually got a great price on it for the quality. I can't imagine what it would be on today's prices. This was 16 years ago.

What would you have done? Have you had sticker price at a food item? Nowadays, I ASK first. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 07:33 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,320 times
I would ask the cost first before I ordered!

Old 11-03-2014, 07:38 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,082 times
Why weren't you aware of what it would cost? Butcher shops often list price per pound, and the butcher helped you figure out how many pounds you needed. Basic math.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:11 PM

I was a lot younger, never bought a rib roast and price just never came up. It was a custom order so it wasn't like I picked out something in the case.

Now I of course know a lot better!

Old 11-04-2014, 02:45 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I ordered my first rib roast for the very first holiday dinner I was hosting at my new home. I was very excited and ordered it at a butcher shop where I just started to shop at being new to the neighborhood. I consulted with the butcher as I had no idea how much to order. I did show him how it was recommended to get rib number x through x (can't remember now)

Day of holiday they were open for pick ups only for brief time. I get my brown paper wrapped order and rush to the register as I was anxious to get home and slow cook it before guests arrived as my grandfather wanted to eat at 2. I get to the cashier to be told it was just shy of $200. I gaped at her stunned and said was that correct? Sure enough... that was the price. I paid for it as it was a custom order. I just never thought in a million years it was going to be so pricey.

Turned out that it was prime AND dry aged. My family loved it saying it was like butta. Grandfather said I actually got a great price on it for the quality. I can't imagine what it would be on today's prices. This was 16 years ago.

What would you have done? Have you had sticker price at a food item? Nowadays, I ASK first. Lol

prime is the top grade, and add "aged" on that and you have a very expensive piece of meat,

it was still cheaper than going out to eat

ive been a butcher for decades and have taken those orders from customers, but have also told them the retail price, so it is no surprise,,,this also give you the chance to say ,,,I want a ham, or I want "choice" grade which is cheaper but still good

im having a tough time figuring this thread,,, sounds like you are complaining about food costs- but you bought one of the most expensive meats available
that's like going to look at Mercedes benz cars and complaining about the prices - what do you expect?

here's a suggestion for rib roasts- look for front page advertised specials , look for grade "choice"
buy bone in roasts, have a butcher "bone & tie" and don't overcook it

choice rib roasts will probly be 7-8.00lb this yr, maybe more (demand drives price)

you an also buy "select grade" for 5- 6.00lb and this sis still good, as long as you don't overcook it

sometimes its cheaper to buy the whole bone in rib eye (20lbs ave) no labor to them,,,
call and ask them what the cheapest rib roast do they have ??

Old 11-04-2014, 05:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
I guess we all live and learn. I can't imagine ordering anything without asking the price first, but after you ordered it, you are pretty much stuck. Yes, I guess you could have refused it, but you couldn't show your face in that butcher shop again. it would have been nice if the butcher would have discussed the price with you ahead of time.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I guess we all live and learn. I can't imagine ordering anything without asking the price first, but after you ordered it, you are pretty much stuck. Yes, I guess you could have refused it, but you couldn't show your face in that butcher shop again. it would have been nice if the butcher would have discussed the price with you ahead of time.
Exactly and add the fact I was very young and eager. Lol. And there was a few funny times where I got caught by surprise at the register with food items. In fact last week kids asked for apples. I let them run to the apples part while I did the rest of my shopping. Got to the register and saw the price for 5 apples, $22. Stopped the cashier and asked her to take them off. Cashier also remarked that for being in season and not organic, wow!!!! And said that was ridiculous. Things like that are what I was attempting to ask all posters. Have you gotten to the register and got caught by surprise as it didn't occur to look at prices. Granted the rib roast example was extreme but I still laugh about it years later at my youthful mistake. (:

Maine broker man

I wasn't complaining about the price, just that I got caught by surprise. And as I said in my OP, now I know and ask. It wasn't anyone's fault my by own and my own ignorance.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:35 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,241,477 times
If the cost of something you are buying is important, why would you not inquire about the price? How is it someone else's fault that you get to the register and are surprised by what something costs?

Old 11-04-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
If the cost of something you are buying is important, why would you not inquire about the price? How is it someone else's fault that you get to the register and are surprised by what something costs?
Youthful ignorance as price never entered my mind. And where on earth did I say it was anyone's fault?

Old 11-04-2014, 10:40 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I was a lot younger, never bought a rib roast and price just never came up. It was a custom order so it wasn't like I picked out something in the case.

Now I of course know a lot better!

I would have looked at them like they were stupid, asked if the price was correct and paid for it since I did custom order it.
The next time I would have been much more careful in what I order and how I ordered it.

So I would have done the same thing you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink