Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 06:31 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
We used to make that when we were in college. (SOS). Fry some ground beef, add some milk, some flour to thicken it up add some salt and pepper to taste and serve over buttered biscuits ( Bisquick). LOVED IT!
Oh yea! Bisquick biscuits with starvation gravy. A depression era recipe I got from my Dad. Growing up, my Pop always had a pot of Navy beans and ham on the stove too. We just re heated it each day, and each day it got better. Thicker, more flavorful. Same with stew and chili. Just keep it on the stove and pop on the heat when you come in for the night. Don't get much easier than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 06:32 PM

163 posts, read 247,330 times
My go to is a chicken taco. However, I have to make the 'mix' which takes a little prep but it stays good in a tupperware container in the fridge for a week.

2 pounds chicken breast
chicken taco seasoning
can of black beans
can of corn

Cook chicken with mix. When done add beans and corn.

All I have to do is get a burrito shell, scoop some in, put some cheese and hot sauce on it and nuke it.

If I'm ambitious I'll wrap one up and throw it on a hot pan with some oil for a better texture.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:42 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Oh yea! Bisquick biscuits with starvation gravy. A depression era recipe I got from my Dad. Growing up, my Pop always had a pot of Navy beans and ham on the stove too. We just re heated it each day, and each day it got better. Thicker, more flavorful. Same with stew and chili. Just keep it on the stove and pop on the heat when you come in for the night. Don't get much easier than that.
My grand dad used to make it for us. So simple to make, but so good!

Old 11-05-2014, 06:42 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,398,755 times
After a very late night it used to be,many years ago, boiled hot dogs and eggs in the same pan. Most times too foggy to make the coleslaw that was the other balance ingredient. (Don't fall asleep while boiling.....smells very bad, dontcha know)

Old 11-05-2014, 06:44 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times
spaghetti mostly but usually either a cold cut sandwich or (what we called) "poor man's pancakes" (toast with butter and syrup).

Old 11-05-2014, 06:46 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsmith680 View Post
After a very late night it used to be,many years ago, boiled hot dogs and eggs in the same pan. Most times too foggy to make the coleslaw that was the other balance ingredient. (Don't fall asleep while boiling.....smells very bad, dontcha know)
depends on what kind of eggs. I mean i can see hard boiled eggs but if youre cracking eggs into a pot of boiling hot dog water trying to make them sunny side up.......

Old 11-05-2014, 07:06 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,364 times
angel hair pasta, olive oil, parmesan

Old 11-05-2014, 07:06 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Dumping spinach, carrots, and whatever fruit is going mushy into my Nutribullet. I add sliced almonds and vanilla Greek yogurt for protein and flaxseeds or whatever antioxidant is in my pantry and I'm good to go. If I'm really hungry I'll add a protein bar.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:17 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
We must have all learned this one in
grade school...I rem getting excited that day. Ha...
'Hmm-hmm good' as the ad sent.
Really is good... but for me -- heartburn city.... something in the tomato soup.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:02 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,230,381 times
I rarely feel like eating but have Type 2 diabetes; thus, I MUST eat. *sigh* A few of my throw-togethers are:

Dean's Fat Free Cottage Cheese and Dole's crushed pineapple, with a sprinkle of sugar if the pineapple doesn't taste sweet enough (not usually)

chicken fried rice microwaved (I don't recall the brand, but it's only $1 and cooks in about 5-6 minutes)

tuna (salted to make it less fishy) and Zesta crackers

Wal-Mart brand toaster pastry (brown sugar cinnamon or wildberry), generally "raw", not toasted, with a glass of skim milk or just water (what I generally drink throughout the day)

If I really don't want to eat, I mix chocolate Instant Breakfast with skim milk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink