Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 07:55 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times

Advertisements

Well, by cooking it for the cat you are killing all the wonderful enzymes...
the 'power foods'...the first thing an animal eats after the kill before
another animal may come.
Just saying...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 08:50 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
You have innards and you're not making pâté with them? I cook and then freeze all my giblets until I have enough to make a decent sized pâté. Seriously, that's the best possible use for liver.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:54 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
With chicken, I save the neck, giblets, heart and any big wads of fat in bags in the freezer. When I get enough and have some aging carrots, celery, onions, it all goes in a pot for great stock.

Occasionally, I freeze some of that chicken fat that I skim off the top of the stock. This is called schmaltz and makes the best matzoh balls!

Turkey, it's the same internals but I cook it up the day before I cook the bird,and use the stock for making the gravy.

I used to save the liver for pate, but rarely bother anymore since I can get wonderful pate with black truffles at Trader Joe's.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:54 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
I save mine for making broth but sometimes I'll snack on the heart and liver if I have a way to cook them while I'm preparing the rest of the meal. I take all my leftover chicken parts - necks, backs, wing tips and innards and put them in a ziplock in the freezer. Once I have a decent amount, I boil them with onion, garlic, carrots and celery and seasonings for homemade chicken stock.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ok, what does one do with those "innards" you find inside a chicken? In turkeys, they are usually taken out and put in a little pouch. I do know, from my mother, to remove the liver or if you cook with that inside it will ruin the turkey, the bile comes out and is bitter I imagine the same for a chicken......

Tonight I'm roasting a 6 lb chicken, and, remembering Mom's cooking, I poked inside and found the "innards" This must be a chicken for advanced cooks, they were NOT put in a separate baggie!

Ok, so I pulled out what appears to be a heart, liver, neck, altogether, appears to be at least 1/2 pound of "stuff" I put it in a baggie in the fridge, wondering, WTD with it?

Besides cook it up and give to the cats
First I have (only once) forgotten to take the innards, as you call them out and no, it will not ruin your turkey, but there are ways to use them that are a heck of a lot better than leaving them inside. I use the turkey gizzards to make our gravy. I boil them with a little garlic, onions and carrots, just like dad did. Then I chopped them With a chicken I would save them and use them to make broth. When the chicken is gone, put the bones, and the gizzards along with spices, onion, carrots, celery, whatever in a crock pot or pot on the stove, simmer for several hours, strain and you have wonderful broth to freeze and use to make soup, cook rice in, whatever

Old 11-05-2014, 12:02 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
I save the "innards," wing tips, and carcasses and freeze them. When I have enough I boil them with onions, garlic, celery, carrots, and fresh thyme to make a tasty stock.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:09 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times
I haven't bought a whole chicken in awhile. When I did, the offal was cooked and given to my cats. It was a great treat for them.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:33 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
You have innards and you're not making pâté with them? I cook and then freeze all my giblets until I have enough to make a decent sized pâté. Seriously, that's the best possible use for liver.
I make pate also and have two good recipes. One is rumaki style.

Livers are also tasty dipped in a light batter and deep fried. A broasted chicken place we used to eat at served them as appetizers.

Otherwise I throw the innards in the freezer and later use them with the turkey carcass to make soup. Carcass. Doesn't sound very appetizing does it?

If I need extra liquid for my turkey gravy I use a can or two of good quality, unseasoned chicken broth.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:07 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,522,451 times
Stock pile them for a cold winter day

Put them in a pressure cooker, browning first then add a bit of water and
one chicken bouillon cube or 1/2 tsp. of chicken bouillon paste.

After the pressure process is complete make a gravy and pour over
REAL Mashed Potatoes

Old 11-05-2014, 02:08 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Stock pile them for a cold winter day

Put them in a pressure cooker, browning first then add a bit of water and
one chicken bouillon cube or 1/2 tsp. of chicken bouillon paste.

After the pressure process is complete make a gravy and pour over
REAL Mashed Potatoes
Whoa, now that is smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink