Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2014, 10:47 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times

Advertisements

Have any of you ever tried this? I've tried it a couple of times and failed (sitting here eating the miserable results right now):

Perfect Fried Eggs Recipe - America's Test Kitchen

You can't see the recipe unless you're a member, but you can watch the video.

Here is another site detailing someone else's attempt to do this:

The Bitten Word: Perfect Fried Eggs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 11:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
If I want perfect fried eggs with nice yolks I just steam them. No, I don't mean poach, but we do that as well. I put them in the pan with a little butter. When the whites get just a little crispy I add a little water and cover the fry pan. All it takes is a couple of minutes, the eggs are beautiful and just perfect. This is not the same as sunny side up either.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:26 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
I like Aldo Buzzi's method described in The Perfect Egg.

First, separate the eggs and place each yolk into a small bowl. Set aside.

Then heat plenty of butter to medium low and add an ounce of water. Use a large enough pan. Cook them until they're almost done without burning the edges. Place rings (I like very small cans opened at both ends) over the egg white. Gently slip a yolk into each ring and let heat until warm. If the yolks don't stick to the whites you're overcooking the whites.

Season the whites with pepper when you first put them into the pan, but do not add salt until you're ready to take them out. Salt earlier in the cooking makes them tough.

A browned edge is a sign of failure.

When using a wood-fired cookstove, the best way by far, have enough room on top to allow moving the skillet to areas of different temperature, right at the edge when you add the yolks.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 11-15-2014 at 12:48 PM..

Old 11-15-2014, 12:44 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If I want perfect fried eggs with nice yolks I just steam them. No, I don't mean poach, but we do that as well. I put them in the pan with a little butter. When the whites get just a little crispy I add a little water and cover the fry pan. All it takes is a couple of minutes, the eggs are beautiful and just perfect. This is not the same as sunny side up either.

This is basically a basted egg. Great way to have set whites, a little bit of crispy lace and nice runny yolks.

Last edited by Old Town FFX; 11-15-2014 at 01:14 PM..

Old 11-15-2014, 01:02 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Have any of you ever tried this? I've tried it a couple of times and failed (sitting here eating the miserable results right now):

Perfect Fried Eggs Recipe - America's Test Kitchen

You can't see the recipe unless you're a member, but you can watch the video.

Here is another site detailing someone else's attempt to do this:

The Bitten Word: Perfect Fried Eggs
That's almost what I do. I have been finishing them over a very low flame though. I'll have to try taking them off the heat because the yolks are always a bit firmer than I'd like.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:04 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This is not the same as sunny side up either.
Why not? What are the differences? I'm not really up on egg terminology.

So anyway, you're saying your method does produce runny yolks? 'Cause fried eggs just have no taste without runny yolks (like the ones I ate for lunch today while I started this thread!).

Old 11-15-2014, 09:15 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Why not? What are the differences? I'm not really up on egg terminology.

So anyway, you're saying your method does produce runny yolks? 'Cause fried eggs just have no taste without runny yolks (like the ones I ate for lunch today while I started this thread!).
A "Sunny Side Up" is just that. An egg that has been put on medium heat and the topside never really sees any heat, except for what's come from the bottom.

Most eggs, the heat will start setting the yolk if you want to get the full whites, and the albumin set as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink