Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 04:31 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Girl Scouts are adding digital marketing to their formidable arsenal of charm, cuteness and perseverance to sell millions of boxes of Thin Mints, Samoas and other longtime cookie favorites.

After years of prohibiting Internet sales, the Girl Scouts of the U.S.A., the group’s national organization, has approved “Digital Cookie,” a platform for scouts to sell and ship the colorfully boxed cookies to friends and relatives around the country.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/01/te...oved.html?_r=0

Old 12-01-2014, 05:54 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
This is not really in their best interest, in my opinion. Let's face it, Girl Scout cookies are not really very good. The only reason why people buy them is because cute little girls ask sweetly and they can't refuse. If you take the sweet little girl part out of it, nobody will buy them.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:07 PM

367 posts, read 697,110 times
Order online and you will have to pay shipping and handling.Why not just buy from the girl scout standing outside the grocery store?

Old 12-01-2014, 09:57 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
The real problem that I see with the internet sale is that you will probably be cutting out the local troops who really need the money for programming.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:06 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Girl Scout cookies haven't been tasty in a good long while. Ever read the ingredients list? Scary frankenfood.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:24 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The real problem that I see with the internet sale is that you will probably be cutting out the local troops who really need the money for programming.
My nephew did some of his Boy Scouts popcorn sales online. My sister posted a link on Facebook that went to his specific popcorn selling page. I would think the Girl Scout cookies would be the same way. It won't be that you can order online straight from the manufacturer, but that you would be buying from a specific girl scout.

It's just the modern day version of mom/dad taking the cookie order sheet to work with them. Now they can just get their friends and family to buy through a Facebook link.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:16 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
I preferred the door-to-door pitch (and, yes, if parents can accompany kids on Halloween, they can for this, too). Now they're at every store entrance and exit (with their parents), hawking cookies to people who either ignore them or feel obligated to tell them on entering that they already purchased them (to be repeated on exiting the store).

What a big imbroglio-- Gone are the days when it was a fun, neighborhood project, with kids at the door, people filling out the order sheet (and taking a quick peek at their neighbors' orders). Maybe they should move entirely online.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:24 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I preferred the door-to-door pitch (and, yes, if parents can accompany kids on Halloween, they can for this, too). Now they're at every store entrance and exit (with their parents), hawking cookies to people who either ignore them or feel obligated to tell them on entering that they already purchased them (to be repeated on exiting the store).

What a big imbroglio-- Gone are the days when it was a fun, neighborhood project, with kids at the door, people filling out the order sheet (and taking a quick peek at their neighbors' orders). Maybe they should move entirely online.
Girl Scouts have been selling in front of stores for awhile now, it's just a way for them to raise more money for their troop. When I was in Girl Scouts, the troop leader always let us decide if we wanted to sell cookies in public, as well as the door to door sales. Those kids aren't just doing one or the other, they're doing both. Online sales aren't going to replace door to door either, it just allows the troops to raise more money. The more money a troop raises, the cooler the activities they can do with the girls. What's so horrible about that?

And are you confused as to why young girls would have their parents with them when selling cookies out in public in front of a large store? It seems like common sense to have an adult with 7...8...9 year old girls in a public place handling cash.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:59 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Now, if only they could be made at Burry's again.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I effing HATED selling Girl Scout cookies. I hated selling candy bars to fund band trips, I hated all of it. Hated going door-to-door, hated staking out the front of the grocery store and manning a table, hated it all. Nothing is worse than leaning on your family and neighbors to buy crap from you because you are pressured to do it so that you can participate in things you are already paying to participate in in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink