Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 10:44 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I clean it out every few months. If I can't remember when I bought it, it gets tossed. I have however vinegars that had been over a year in my fridge.
For things I might not use right away (staple items, etc.), I use a Sharpie to mark the purchase date on the container/can/jar label.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 11:27 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
That's gross! I clean my fridge out form top to bottom at least once a month. I'm famous for pitching things. I don't need any antiques in my fridge. That's nasty. YUCK!

Old 12-08-2014, 11:30 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,527 times
About 15 years ago when I still had kids young enough for Easter baskets I bought those boxed chocolate Easter bunnies that were about 9 inches tall. I bought 2 too many so I put them in the pantry. About 2 years later someone in the neighborhood was having a party and was doing a scavenger hunt for their guests. A couple knocked on our door and explained and showed us their list. One of the items was a chocolate Easter bunny so I gave them one.

We sold that house and the remaining bunny moved with us 2 more times. We have been in our current house for 9 years and about 6 months ago I realized that the bunny had been in my refrigerator all this time. When you put chocolate in the fridge for a long time it gets this whitish look to it. So it was finally time to throw it out. I can be too sentimental at times and keep silly things that remind me of the past and this was one of those things but it was definitely time to let it go.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:32 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I've only been in this house for about a month, so, yeah.

Yay, military, and moving a lot.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:33 PM

339 posts, read 777,821 times
I have a 39 year old 12 ounce bottle of Pepsi in my fridge. Got it out of a vending machine at work. It is a 1950's vintage bottle and I've never had the urge to open such a classic.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:58 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times
Nice Hawk!!!!

I Used to have a box of instant mash potatoes in my fridge for 8 years.
It was ONE of the first grocery items I bought when I moved out of my parents home into my own apt.
I finally threw it out after a move.
I still have my wedding cake top layer in my freezer. It hassurvived 4 moves across Texas and up to Georgia since 2001.

My mom said if that cake is ever destroyed, so is your marriage!!!
It may be an old wives tale, but I still guard that cake with my life.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:03 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Nice Hawk!!!!

I Used to have a box of instant mash potatoes in my fridge for 8 years.
It was ONE of the first grocery items I bought when I moved out of my parents home into my own apt.
I finally threw it out after a move.
I still have my wedding cake top layer in my freezer. It hassurvived 4 moves across Texas and up to Georgia since 2001.

My mom said if that cake is ever destroyed, so is your marriage!!!
It may be an old wives tale, but I still guard that cake with my life.
You and your spouse are suppose to eat it on your one year anniversary.

Never heard of saving the top layer in the freezer for the entire marriage.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:08 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
You and your spouse are suppose to eat it on your one year anniversary.

Never heard of saving the top layer in the freezer for the entire marriage.
Not what my momma told me.
back at ya

Old 12-09-2014, 12:15 AM

421 posts, read 411,185 times
I think you do what youwant. Lots of people save their cake without eating it! It sounds like you are really in love.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:45 AM

388 posts, read 307,499 times
One thing. I have an amazing turtle that was carved out of a giant carrot by my favorite sushi chef back in MA. I loved the thing so much that I took it home, put it in a jar and pickled it. A year later we moved and it came with us, and it's been sitting in its jar of vinegar in this fridge for just over two years. I imagine it will continue to live in there as long as as it doesn't start looking disgusting, which may be forever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink