Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 02:35 PM

20,866 posts, read 28,221,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
They don't sell game in stores? We have bison and pheasant and boar in the meat section of our grocery stores.
Other than bison burgers, lamb, occasionally duck and one time I was able to get rabbit legs we really don't have wild game by us. I could probably get it from a specialty butcher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 04:32 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,270,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Other than bison burgers, lamb, occasionally duck and one time I was able to get rabbit legs we really don't have wild game by us. I could probably get it from a specialty butcher.
I didn't know lamb was a wild game meat.
You learn something new every day!

Old 12-12-2014, 05:20 PM

11,951 posts, read 8,275,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I didn't know lamb was a wild game meat.
You learn something new every day!

". . .
He followed her to school one day,
Which was against the rule,
It made the children laugh and play
To see a lamb at school.

And so the teacher turned it out,
But still it lingered near,
And waited patiently about,
Till Mary did appear. . ."

That was a wild lamb - breaking the rules, not minding the teacher and all.

I use my mom's recipe for pheasant. It keeps it nice and moist and makes a mean gravy.

Cut up the pheasant, dredge in flour, salt, pepper and brown in half butter/half cooking oil. Place in buttered Dutch oven.

Pour a generous amount of half and half over all of it, cover and roast at 325 degrees until done.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:55 AM

19,533 posts, read 22,414,955 times
We harvested a mess of geese this weekend. I'll be making some goose pastrami this winter!

Old 02-01-2015, 04:27 PM

We just got finished grinding up 45lbs of venison burger and putting it up in the freezer. My neighbor does custom slaughtering so I had all the beef fat I could ever need. Ground it at a 90/10 mix.

In the next few weeks we'll put up about 20-30lbs of various sausages. Porticini mushroom and garlic venison sausage, some hard salami, maybe some goose sausage as well. February is usually our time to go through the fall harvest and prepare our meals for the next year.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:19 PM

50,096 posts, read 63,480,500 times
It is Restaurant week in Savannah, which is held a few weeks a year, and many of the restaurants offer a 3 course meal for $30. One of the restaurants is offering an appetizer containing lion. That was a new one to me, and not one I want to try.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:54 PM

17,436 posts, read 15,014,207 times
As I mentioned in another thread.. We have a wild game restaurant here.. Ostrich and Buffalo are always on the menu, other items rotate.. Kangaroo.. Elk.. Emu.. I've had them all.. All are good, so long as they're prepared right. They had rabbit on the menu last time.. I didn't try that as i've had it before.

Most wild game meats are incredibly lean.. Ostrich as an example.

Many years ago, we actually had an Emu and Ostrich farm local. Wish I had known how good it was when that place was in operation.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:09 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,800,117 times
I've cooked and eaten pretty much everything including Armadillo (not recommended). My favorite is venison. I lay the steaks out and pound them with the top of a Coke bottle (it HAS to be the top of a Coke bottle), then soak them in buttermilk overnight. Then drain, drench in a milk egg wash, then flour seasoned with salt pepper and seasonings, then deep fried in peanut oil. Very tasty.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:45 PM

I've got 4 goose breasts that are curing right now for a venison pastrami recipe. A friend of mine followed this recipe and it was simply awesome!

2 skinless Canada goose (or domestic goose) breasts
Kosher salt (see recipe notes)
3 grams Instacure No. 1 (good for up to 3 pounds of goose)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon caraway seed
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon crushed juniper (optional)
1 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup brandy, red wine, vinegar or water
1 tablespoon ground coriander

Weigh your goose breasts. For every pound of goose, you’ll need 22 grams of kosher salt, which is about 1 1/2 tablespoons. It’s OK if you are a little off on this measurement. Mix the salt, curing salt, sugar as well as the thyme, celery seed, caraway, juniper and the teaspoon of black pepper and grind them all together in a spice grinder. Pack the goose breasts with this mixture, massaging it into the meat. Put the goose into a closed container in the fridge for 24 to 36 hours.
The next day, rinse off the goose and pat it dry. It’s fine if you have a little bit of the cure stuck to the meat, but you don’t want too much. Put the goose breasts on a rack in the fridge and let them dry uncovered for a day.
Dip the goose into the brandy — or really any other liquid you want — and then coat thoroughly in the remaining black pepper and ground coriander seed. I like to grind this myself so the texture is a little coarse, a little fine.
Smoke the goose breasts until the interior hits 145°F, which takes me about 3 hours.
Let the goose pastrami cool and eat as lunch meat, or on crackers or whatever.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:01 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,217,318 times
I do love game, when I can get it. They sell elk (moose) and reindeer in the shops but its expensive so I don't buy it often. Usually make käristys which is a traditional reindeer or elk stew. But one year my uncle gave me a good sized chunk of elk (he hunts) and I roasted it, was lush.

Would love to try pheasant, they're everywhere here (almost got close enough to touch one the other day, dumb birds) but I don't see them sold anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink