Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 08:28 PM

366 posts, read 433,015 times

Advertisements

I got tired of the Sandwich potlucks. Generally held during the spring and summer months. It was often cheaper than grilling hamburgers and hot dogs. During these, management would pay for the catering from some sandwich shop, and would ask the employees to supply the sides. We would usually end up with 25 bags of chips (usually great value brand from Walmart), 40 jars of salsa or French onion, store bought potato and macaroni salad (yuck) and maybe store bought cookies (great value). Of course, we ended up with a surplus of chips and dips and they would end up in our break room for months. Most of the time, some underpaid and hungry employee would end up taking them home.

During Christmas time, we would have hams in Crockpots. St. Patricks day was corned beef and cabbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 10:43 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Not a fan of them.....I'm a reallllllly picky eater and always struggle to find one or two things to eat whenever I've had to attend a potluck. I usually eat before I go because I know that I will have a hard time. At least once, all I ate were some baby carrots on a veggie platter.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:57 PM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Love them. Had one today. Two different sets of empanadas, perogies, two kinds of chicken, a cornbread and corn casserole, lobster bisque with garlic bread, shrimp, cheese and pepperoni and crackers, salad, stuffed mushrooms, several types of cookies, banana pudding pie, Cuban pastries, and fruit.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:19 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Not a fan. Every year at this time, people break out experiments to impress others. I'll pass on the homemade hollandaise diarrhea. Maybe if everyone cooked chili or pot roast--dishes where the main ingredients are cooked above minimum temperature for maybe 10x what is needed--it would be OK.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:25 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,215,635 times
Not a fan. Just don't like to eat food made by someone I don't know.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:27 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet*Tea View Post
Not a fan. Just don't like to eat food made by someone I don't know.
So you don't eat out much.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:07 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
Although I know that restaurants can have dirty employees and dirty work surfaces, I appease myself by banking on the fact that they are inspected regularily by the ministry of health.

As for pot luck, if I don't know who made something or if I know something is made by someone less than clean, I won't eat the food. Call me cautious or obsessed, but I have an image in my mind of a dirty person scratching themselves "down there" or using a toilet, and then not washing their hands before they prepare food. Gag!

Old 12-13-2014, 05:20 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,282,640 times
"No like" is not strong enough for me. I loathe them.

An example - one of the last potlucks I was somewhat forced to take part in I bought hummus and pita bread which hardly no one touched. I mentioned this to a co-worker who told me verbatim: "You should have fried it." Of course he was joking but his point was taken.

Another - I spent good money on healthy salads, way more than the average person spent. That was the only thing I ended up eating at the potluck luncheon. I couldn't find anything I wanted, same with the other example. Plus, I had a lot to take home with me, most of what I brought.

As you all can see I am a very healthy eater (usually) but at the same time I do not feel I am that picky. I'd rather not take part in one for that reason.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:32 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,672,933 times
I love potluck dinners. My neighborhood usually has one each month and it's a feast because we have some really good cooks. I also belong to a Bunco group that does a pot luck each time we play. Lots of good cooks there, as well, and the people who don't cook or bake bring store bought goods. I seldom eat chips or wings, so I appreciate them every once in awhile.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:41 AM

4,587 posts, read 4,215,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
So you don't eat out much.
I do eat out but consider that to be different. I may not know the chef and kitchen staff personally, but I do know that sanitary and health standards are in place to protect me. (although I AM not so naive as to believe they are always followed)

I don't make a big deal of not liking potlucks and most people are not aware I dislike them. I can always find something to eat (store bought items or something made by someone I know) so there is never a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink