Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2014, 07:59 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I visited my sister for dinner and she served one of those "super healthy" margarines to spread on the steaming hot baked potatoes. I put a pat of that margarine on my potato and it absolutely refused to melt. I kept exclaiming in amazement, "It won't melt!?!?! It won't melt?!?!" She got annoyed with me for criticizing her margarine choice. But I think that proves the "margarine is plastic" crowd is correct.
I don't know what kind of crap your sister was using, but it sure wasn't normal margarine. I would never EVER use anything other than Parkay or Blue Bonnet. And of COURSE margarine melts. It's the other "hearlt healthy" stuff that doesn't melt, such as Smart Balance, (which are more accurately called "spreads" that don't behave/taste like butter (or margarine) and you can keep those!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 09:32 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Default Japan faces a shortage of butter for Christmas

Japan's Butter Shortage Whips Its Cake Makers Into A Frenzy : The Salt : NPR

Old 12-17-2014, 09:45 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Like many, I grew up on margarine. In fact we called it butter. Older generations called it "oleo".

My wife uses Smart Balance. Is that margarine? I only know it's not butter and it's sold in the butter aisle.

I hear tell that in the state of Wisconsin, a big dairy state, margarine was not allowed to be dyed yellow until some time in the 1950's. Prior to that, wherever it was sold they gave you a yellow dye pack to mix into the white stuff to make it look like butter! In the 1930's, state food boards began allowing dye to be added at the factory.
Earlier than that it was a red/pink dye.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:07 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I only buy butter. It is a natural food, margarine isn't.

Sometimes I'll make a healthier, cost-cutting butter spread by combining a pound of butter (at room temperature) with a cup of grape seed oil, which is tasteless (unlike Olive oil) and just as healthy as Olive oil.
Nutritional value of grape seed oil: Grape Seed Oil Nutritional Information |

Place your butter and oil into a large mixing bowl along with 2 tsp of salt (or more or less to taste) and using an electric mixer, whirl at high speed until well combined. Then divide it into small tupperware containers, store them in the fridge, leaving one on the counter for use. When left at room temperature, it spreads like butter and tastes just like butter. It is also good to fry food in since grape seed oil has a moderately high smoking point.

If the room temperature mixture starts to separate during hot weather, just pop it into the fridge for 5-10 minutes and give it a few quick stirs with a fork.
I started doing that in the 1970s. It wasn't grape seed oil at the time, but something else. You couldn't find grape seen oil in a store at the time. The "recipe", which I found in a cookbook, was named Better Butter.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:02 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,135,306 times
Grew up using real butter~ know it was as I had to milk the cow and shake the jar to form the butter. Do not use real butter now as Dr. told me not too a few years ago. She suggested using margarine if I wanted to spread something on my bread. Guess this advice is frowned upon by many of the posters on this site but I'll stick with following my Dr's orders.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:29 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
Of course people still buy and use margarine. Just because a few health nuts or naturalists or whatever they call themselves had some real butter doesnt mean the masses banned margarine from being consumed by others. I use margarine as well as does practically everyone else in my family plus friends and neighbors. I also eat processed foods and go to McDonald's on occasion.

I dont see how its a problem. Unless its one of those "I buy the best so I think everyone else should too" beliefs.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:09 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Occasionally I use a margarine like product which has no hydrogenated oils, zero transfat and is 60% whipped vegetable oil spread.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:17 AM

997 posts, read 1,061,200 times
I buy margarine once a year - to make my Thanksgiving pie crusts with. Everything else is made / served with real butter.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:28 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
Grew up using real butter~ know it was as I had to milk the cow and shake the jar to form the butter. Do not use real butter now as Dr. told me not too a few years ago. She suggested using margarine if I wanted to spread something on my bread. Guess this advice is frowned upon by many of the posters on this site but I'll stick with following my Dr's orders.
A friend ate toast dry...I thought, ick!
Now I order my toast dry, TOO...(when I EVER do carbs at all, that is)...at home I have
spread peanut butter or
some other Health Food Store nut butter...if I even had bread in the house!

Old 12-18-2014, 07:34 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Of course people still buy and use margarine.
Just because a few health nuts or naturalists or whatever they call themselves had some real butter doesnt mean the masses banned
margarine from being consumed by others
I use margarine as well as does practically everyone else in my family plus friends and neighbors.
I also eat processed foods and go to McDonald's on occasion.

I dont see how its a problem. Unless its one of those "I buy the best so I think
everyone else should too" beliefs.
This is a friendly conversation and thread.
Not currents events, religion or the political section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink