Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2014, 06:52 PM

874 posts, read 632,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
That was an interesting post. Thanks!
Thanks. There is something to be said for being old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I only buy butter. It is a natural food, margarine isn't.

Sometimes I'll make a healthier, cost-cutting butter spread by combining a pound of butter (at room temperature) with a cup of grape seed oil, which is tasteless (unlike Olive oil) and just as healthy as Olive oil.
Nutritional value of grape seed oil: Grape Seed Oil Nutritional Information | LIVESTRONG.COM

Place your butter and oil into a large mixing bowl along with 2 tsp of salt (or more or less to taste) and using an electric mixer, whirl at high speed until well combined. Then divide it into small tupperware containers, store them in the fridge, leaving one on the counter for use. When left at room temperature, it spreads like butter and tastes just like butter. It is also good to fry food in since grape seed oil has a moderately high smoking point.

If the room temperature mixture starts to separate during hot weather, just pop it into the fridge for 5-10 minutes and give it a few quick stirs with a fork.

Grape seed oil is a great idea. Butter burns so easily. I put a little vegetable oil in the pan with my butter to up that smoking point if something has to cook/fry very long - like sautéing onions. But, grape seed oil is a better solution. Thanks.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:13 PM

675 posts, read 639,649 times
Boy! It would be interesting to do a taste test. Some products are gag-inducing. Others I like.

I will say that I am lactose intolerant, so whatever I use, I use sparingly. Usually only on breads. Veggie oil or steam for cooking.

My product of choice is Brummel & Brown. It is not margarine (though, frankly, I'm not sure what is. I go by brand name). It is partially yoghurt. Nut sure if that helps the lactose level, but I love how it tastes and sits with my stomach. I discovered it at a breakfast party at my uncle and aunt's house on Lake Union in Seattle in 1991, and thought it was a special brand unique to Pike Place or some fancy cheese shop in the U-district. But no, it's everywhere.

I do love unsalted butter, but don't buy it too much at all. I never have dinner rolls on hand.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
man made margarine; God made butter;
used sparingly, I'm with butter.
I spent a lot of hours on the business end of a churn. I want to see this butter that God made.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Transplant View Post
Boy! It would be interesting to do a taste test. Some products are gag-inducing. Others I like.

I will say that I am lactose intolerant, so whatever I use, I use sparingly. Usually only on breads. Veggie oil or steam for cooking.

My product of choice is Brummel & Brown. It is not margarine (though, frankly, I'm not sure what is. I go by brand name). It is partially yoghurt. Nut sure if that helps the lactose level, but I love how it tastes and sits with my stomach. I discovered it at a breakfast party at my uncle and aunt's house on Lake Union in Seattle in 1991, and thought it was a special brand unique to Pike Place or some fancy cheese shop in the U-district. But no, it's everywhere.

I do love unsalted butter, but don't buy it too much at all. I never have dinner rolls on hand.
Yes, I ,too, love Brummel and Brown. It tastes a lot like the clabbered milk butter of old. It is because of the yoghurt. No, I don't think that helps much with lactose levels since yoghurt is a milk product.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
The links clearly state that margarines are not really plastic....now....could they have
TRACES of trans fat they do not have to reveal?
I would say good chance...but I do not know.
I'm not a trusting person when it comes to food companies.
Margarine is hydrogenated vegetable oil. If you infuse (in this case, shoot in) hydrogen into liquid oil, it becomes a solid. Since we breathe hydrogen from the air all around us, it is not harmful. If you take a bottle of Crisco Oil and infuse it with hydrogen, you get Crisco shortening (the solid one). If you take a stick of margarine, put it in a bowl, and set it on the counter for a few days in a warm room, it turns back into a liquid because the hydrogen escapes back into the atmosphere. Actually, the bowl doesn't have anything to do with anything. You don't have to use a bowl, but if you don't you have a big mess on your counter.

Have you ever made homemade whipping cream? That stuff is to die for. It is just the buttercream from the milk and you use an electric mixer to "beat" it until it is fluffy. (it is like egg whites. First they are liquid and then they are solid and thick and fluffy) Be sure your mixing bowl and beaters are very cold (I put mine in the freezer a few minutes before beating). The whipping cream (just buy "whipping cream" in a little carton at the grocery store in the milk section) should be very cold, too. Add a little sugar to the cream and beat until fluffy - about 2 or 3 (maybe 4) minutes until it is a solid and fluffy.
Butter cream is very sour. You must add the sugar. How much depends on how sweet you like it. Put it on top of anything that you would put Cool Whip (boo, hiss) on.

Once it is a solid, if you keep beating it with your mixer, it will turn into butter.

Last edited by Ella Parr; 12-18-2014 at 10:43 PM..

Old 12-18-2014, 10:42 PM

25,354 posts, read 17,004,259 times
Quote:
That's all...I don't know anyone that buys it.
Anyone use it still and how come?
(I was thinking health wise, it probably tastes good.)
I had a friend who had migraines, once. But I don't.

I don't think eating helps at all.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:49 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,606,171 times
Quote:
A friend ate toast dry...I thought, ick!
Now I order my toast dry, TOO...(when I EVER do carbs at all, that is)...at home I have
spread peanut butter or
some other Health Food Store nut butter...if I even had bread in the house!
For most of my adult life I've never had butter or margarine in the house. I never saw the need for it. I like dry toast. And I don't bake. If a recipe for something calls for butter I just leave it out or use olive oil and it's never been a problem.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:51 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,298,429 times
I use tubs of whipped margarine as a "dipping sauce" for hot pockets, bagel bites, etc.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:50 AM

479 posts, read 2,216,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
I use tubs of whipped margarine as a "dipping sauce" for hot pockets, bagel bites, etc.
Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink