Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2015, 12:02 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
witt....

I can find reports that vegan fanatics have killed there own kids thru mal-nutrition too

Seems what some people can't grasp when they decide to 'go vegan' is they can't simply toss out all of the "forbidden" foods and expect to be healthy. People need protein, calcium, etc.
I've known vegans who know how to substitute so they do get essential nutrition, but I don't think it's very common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 12:27 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
witt....

opinions are like a-holes everyone has one,,,,but nobody has to agree,,
Which is the great thing about science -- we can look at data rather than opinions.

Quote:
i can find studies that support red meat is part or a healthy diet
Please do, and please share them.

Quote:
and i can find studies, that bigfoot exists
No, you can't.

Quote:
I can find reports that vegan fanatics have killed there own kids thru mal-nutrition too
An anecdotal report is in no way comparable to a scientific study.

Quote:
I eat lots of steak,,, one of my favorite foods, and my bloodwork is fine,,,chlolesterol levels are fine

if i get hit by a truck tomorrow ,,,i will go having enjoyed my food in life,,
and don't start in on ice cream,,,
Good for you. There are also some 95 year-old smokers. I'm not claiming that red meat kills everyone, just that it isn't healthy and has been scientifically shown to increase one's risk of various cancers.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
3. If you say there is "no way around the fact that red meat is unhealthy," I hear that you believe it is something that should never be consumed.
No, I don't think there's probably much harm in eating four or five ounces of red meat per week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
For example, I would choose an non-GMO ear of corn on the cob with butter, over Fritos made with cornmeal and soybean oil, as being the superior food, even though at a chemical level they may be virtually identical. Which would you choose?
I can't imagine anyone -- myself included -- who would think the chips would be healthier. They are nowhere near the same chemically, either.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Seems what some people can't grasp when they decide to 'go vegan' is they can't simply toss out all of the "forbidden" foods and expect to be healthy. People need protein, calcium, etc.
I've known vegans who know how to substitute so they do get essential nutrition, but I don't think it's very common.
In my experience, that is far more likely to be true of vegetarians than vegans. Veganism is extreme enough that most vegans have no choice but to meal plan and prepare most of their meals themselves. When doing that, it isn't difficult to get protein or calcium or any other vital nutrient or mineral.

There is more protein in 2500 calories of whole grains than there is in a 24 oz. steak, soy milk has 50% more calcium than regular milk, and most vegans eat far more produce than the average person.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:04 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine
I buy margarine for baking....
I use margarine also....... I just had my FIRST BOX of clear value mac and cheese IN 2 YEARS!!!!!

It was delicous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-04-2015, 01:57 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,131,769 times
I used to use margarine for cooking and baking. But now all I find the "spreads" which have a lot of water and do not work well at all. Does anyone still make "real" margarine anymore?

Old 11-04-2015, 02:01 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I use margarine also....... I just had my FIRST BOX of clear value mac and cheese IN 2 YEARS!!!!!

It was delicous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mac and cheese in a box - I would rather gouge my own eyes out with an icepick. I simply cant look at Ready Meals without seeing lines of numbers like that guy on Numbers, except the numbers I see are Food Additives.

Soon there will be headlines "mac and cheese in a box proven to Cause Cancer"

My kids ate it though, only as a snack.

They would request homemade as a meal. Because mine is Real Macaroni Cheese with milk and real cheese. Its still their favorite next to my lasagna.

Pain in the butt to make, but Worth Every Minute.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:39 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chidogs View Post
I used to use margarine for cooking and baking. But now all I find the "spreads" which have a lot of water and do not work well at all. Does anyone still make "real" margarine anymore?
Yes, they do. The 1# boxes of margarine are by the butter.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:05 PM

14,762 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Only use real butter for eating...or baking and cooking. The very thought of margarine sort of makes me want to gag.

But, I grew up on margarine...(.people back in the day thought that was the healthy alternative!)

Old 11-04-2015, 03:20 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,450,103 times
I only use real butter for baking and cooking and eating, although I was raised on margarine (except for baking) - that's one of the things that is cool about being a grown up. I get to choose my own butter!

Husband only uses Country Crock. But he's weird. If I have the butter out for making something else with it, he'll use it to saute mushrooms or onions or something, but if it's not on the counter, he uses his big ole tub. My youngest inhales food too fast to notice (and now he's the Navy's problem so they can decide - although I refused to teach him how to cook anything using margarine so when he makes his own meals, that's what he probably uses), and my oldest is a chef so he wouldn't even bother with anything but real butter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink