Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 12:08 PM

20,549 posts, read 30,292,835 times

Advertisements

I use margarine for rice crispy treats.

Hmm…I'll have to try the margarine trick to see if it helps with spreading of cookies. Maybe I can try half margarine and half butter.

I try all kinds of tricks…more flour, chill the dough, make sure eggs are room temperature, butter at room temp, different kinds of butter, more baking powder, wait until pans cool completely…..grr…..sometimes I still get flat cookies and I have no idea why. It is frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 12:13 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,049,938 times

Old 12-16-2014, 03:11 PM

4,526 posts, read 12,345,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
No way.

Ain't that stuff one molecule away from plastic
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Margarine is made from vegetable oil. Nothing plastic about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
That's because of the plastic.
I visited my sister for dinner and she served one of those "super healthy" margarines to spread on the steaming hot baked potatoes. I put a pat of that margarine on my potato and it absolutely refused to melt. I kept exclaiming in amazement, "It won't melt!?!?! It won't melt?!?!" She got annoyed with me for criticizing her margarine choice. But I think that proves the "margarine is plastic" crowd is correct.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:37 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,604,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I also grew up on margarine, mostly because it was cheap, with 9 of us kids. My sister the nutritionist at a hospital warned us that margarine is far worse for you that real butter. She recommends using olive oil as a better substitute, or butter, in moderation. They both have the same number of calories, but many margarines contain trans fats, worse for the heart than saturated fat, and also increases cholesterol. And it tastes lousy compared to butter.
I don't see how olive oil can be used as a substitute for butter. I use butter for the flavor, which is nothing like the flavor of olive oil. I use olive oil where olive oil is called for.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:38 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,923,061 times
I was raised on margarine and I never liked it. I was blown away the first time I went to Europe and ate real butter. I have always bought butter since then. Preferably unsalted.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:50 PM

23,885 posts, read 32,179,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
That's all...I don't know anyone that buys it.
Anyone use it still and how come?
(I was thinking health wise, it probably tastes good.)
I hate it. I was raised on Breakstone whipped butter. I can taste transfats in foods and I find the taste repulsive. My son is a strict vegan and these days I do buy Earth Balance, with is a butter substitute and is edible.

For a baked potato, and with bread, I still use a bit a whipped butter.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:53 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,898,983 times
In the '40s, butter was rationed and very hard to get. My Gram had to use margarine for her weekly baking. A bag of white shortening with a pellet inside that was massaged in until the color resembled butter-yellow.

Once the war ended and butter became available again, no more oleo for us.

She did use lard for pie crust, though. Nothing better.

I use butter exclusively. I only use a pound every six or eight weeks, except when I'm baking Christmas cookies.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:06 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,174,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Like many, I grew up on margarine. In fact we called it butter. Older generations called it "oleo".

My wife uses Smart Balance. Is that margarine? I only know it's not butter and it's sold in the butter aisle.

I hear tell that in the state of Wisconsin, a big dairy state, margarine was not allowed to be dyed yellow until some time in the 1950's. Prior to that, wherever it was sold they gave you a yellow dye pack to mix into the white stuff to make it look like butter! In the 1930's, state food boards began allowing dye to be added at the factory.
I use smart balance made out of olive oil. I never put butter on food, or margarine, but do use it in cooking, sauting mostly, so it works well. Butter is wasting money for me since the ones I bought ended up being tossed since I never got around to using them.

I make a sauted mix of onion and garlic and other stuff as a toping and you wouldn't be able to tell if there was butter there, and it might burn.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:06 PM

36,979 posts, read 40,955,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I visited my sister for dinner and she served one of those "super healthy" margarines to spread on the steaming hot baked potatoes. I put a pat of that margarine on my potato and it absolutely refused to melt. I kept exclaiming in amazement, "It won't melt!?!?! It won't melt?!?!" She got annoyed with me for criticizing her margarine choice. But I think that proves the "margarine is plastic" crowd is correct.
The margarine I use melts just fine. I've never seen one that would not.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:22 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,174,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I don't see how olive oil can be used as a substitute for butter. I use butter for the flavor, which is nothing like the flavor of olive oil. I use olive oil where olive oil is called for.
One reason I really like smart balance made with olive oil is it retains the taste. I love the taste of olive oil but cooking with it is dicey. I use canola oil to saute things. We didn't use butter and I don't find the taste bad but nothing special either. A little of the olive oil spread in canola oil will give you the flavor without watching it so close for burning much as you can do with butter if that is the taste you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink