Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 04:32 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If the restaurant served one dish made to order would you go at least once to try it then continue to go if you liked it, even if they continue to serve one dish?

In addition to the one dish which would be sold by serving or batch the only beverage available would be regular coffee (no decaf), ice water, carbonated water, 2% Milk and iced tea (sweet or not).

You can eat there or take it home but the seating would be very limited in the beginning and the only other item available would be white bread with real butter or garlic bread.
No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 05:03 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
If the dish was Steak, especially Rib Eye Steak I would go all the time....

Old 12-17-2014, 05:08 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
One of my relative in restauration told me this.
Most of the restaurant offer many dishes but i was more talking about the restaurant who propose really a lot of different dishes.
In general restaurant bought in huge quantity their ingredient, so if their is some less order dishes maybe some fish or meat can stay in fridge many days.

If you look gastronomic restaurant they offer around 5 starters and 5 main plate, not more.
Well 5 is certainly more than one.....I never said a place should have a huge menu...but chefs can cook more than one dish ando keep stock rotated.

Ps: Since English doesn't seem to be your native tounge....there is no word 'restauration' ....one works in restaurants or is 'in the restaurant business' or if one owns the restaurant they are a restauranter.... and a 'cooker' is on old informal term used in only parts of the US to mean an oven or stove....sometimes a smoker. A person is either a chef or a cook. I couldn't figure out why you thought a stove couldn't fix more than a few dishes.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:17 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
Dick's Drive In in Seattle, WA serves just a few things. Hamburgers. French Fries. Milkshakes. Soda. You can't even get your burgers customized, it's eat it or starve lol. It works fine for them, they always have people lining up to eat there.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:43 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Okay, how about a restaurant that served Macaroni and Cheese, homemade sauce and pasta shells?
The only thing you could order with it is white bread and real butter or garlic bread and a very limited choice of beverages.
If you'd have just said that to start with, you'd have seen some more relevant responses.
My relevant response is: white pasta, white bread, cheese. butter? No, hell no.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Went to a restaurant the other day that only served Shanghai soup dumplings,
We also have many places that just serve various incantations of noodle soup (Pho)
Great places that do their one product right, but not places i would frequent on a daily basis.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:57 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
One dish? Sure, if I liked that one dish.

Now, if the place only had one dish as in one plate that had to be washed after you finished eating so the next person could use it then thatd be a bit weird.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:41 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times
Quote:
If the restaurant served one dish made to order would you go at least once to try it then continue to go if you liked it, even if they continue to serve one dish?

In addition to the one dish which would be sold by serving or batch the only beverage available would be regular coffee (no decaf), ice water, carbonated water, 2% Milk and iced tea (sweet or not).

You can eat there or take it home but the seating would be very limited in the beginning and the only other item available would be white bread with real butter or garlic bread.

Absolutely! If it is truly delicious.

Most of my "favorite" eateries have one dish that brings me back.

In fact, I got take-out from a restaurant last night that I actively DISLIKE, except for their Somasa chaat (Indian food). That's ALL I get if I eat there. Somasa chaat. Fortunately, it is delicious and filling and is a full meal for a cheap price.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:04 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I totally get Hoss's point, though. There's one thing that lures Hoss to those places and so that's the purchase.

I'm like that with a lot of places. When I zero in on a good dish at a restaurant, that's what I'll order every time I go there because I know that I like it. It doesn't matter what else is on the menu -- I'm getting THAT.
Agreed. I rarely eat at a fast food place, but when I do, it is for a very specific item. I only eat the grilled wraps at McDonald s. Only fried chicken st Hardee's, only biscuits at Bojangles.... etc. I prefer home-cooked food, but obviously have to make do when traveling.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:07 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Agreed. I rarely eat at a fast food place, but when I do, it is for a very specific item. I only eat the grilled wraps at McDonald s. Only fried chicken st Hardee's, only biscuits at Bojangles.... etc.
Not just at a fast food place, though. There's a seafood pasta dish at a place in MA -- that's the only thing I'll get there because I love it. The Friendly Toast in Portsmouth, NH -- grilled cheese (cheddar and bleu) and the fish burrito. Dozens of restaurants (from casual to fine dining) in Montreal get the same treatment from me -- when I like THAT dish, THAT's the dish that I'm going to order EVERY time that I go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink