Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 08:38 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times

Advertisements

I believe some people get food poison easily with certain combination of food and a weak stomach.

Drinking a fruit smoothie and then eating a cheeseburger has got to be the worst combo that can cause upset stomach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 05:58 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
In the 70's I became ill after eating a hot dog at an Angels baseball game at Anaheim Stadium. A game President Nixon (whose only redeeming trait was that he was a big Angels fan) and his family attended. The news the next day was full of reports that Tricia had become violently ill. Since a presidential daughter spent the night driving the porcelain bus someone did an investigation. Bad batch of dogs.

I kept eating hot dogs at Angels games but it was the last time I ate one when Nixon was there. Nixon's bad karma extended to the snack bar.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:34 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
OMG, does it really matter? Are you a doctor?? Nice way to derail a thread!
Actually, it does matter if you're trying to get treated accurately for your malady. And it matters when people insist to their medical professionals that they have one type of illness, when they in fact have another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Today I must ponder what I ever did without your netdoc skills
I'm a home canner, not a "netdoc", whatever that is. If you want to dismiss years of food preservation and safety research, then that's your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I believe some people get food poison easily with certain combination of food and a weak stomach.

Drinking a fruit smoothie and then eating a cheeseburger has got to be the worst combo that can cause upset stomach.
And then you have people throwing in food sensitivities and "upset stomach" into the mix. It's no wonder old wives' tales abound, and that no one knows what the hell actual foodborne illness is.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
OMG, does it really matter? Are you a doctor?? Nice way to derail a thread!
Just noise in the forum as usual ;talking to themselves.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:48 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly. It is very difficult to know for sure if you have food poisoning. There are many reasons. One is, people digest food at different rates. Another is that different foods contain different bacteria, and although some can make you sick, most don't. And even if they contain whatever bacteria, different levels of bacteria affect different people in different ways. Some people would be affected and others not. Also, the incubation period of food poisoning can be quite long indeed, so it may be a long time before the ingestion of a poisoned food affects a person. People tend to blame the food they have eaten most recently, when it may be a completely different food, or no food at all. They actually have another gastrointestinal issue going on. All these reasons are why when a person sues a restaurant for causing him/her food poisoning, they usually lose. There simply isn't enough proof that X food from Y restaurant caused him/her the symptoms that made the person sick.
Yep. I know a couple who insisted they had food poisoning. They had eaten the same food that six other people had eaten and no one else got sick. So out of eight people only those two got sick. If it WAS food poisoning, it must have been something the two of them ate that the rest of us didn't. I guess it's possible, but not very likely - especially when the other six people also ate leftovers and still didn't get sick.

I ate pizza from a local restaurant in the last year and I felt completely fine. Before I finished the second piece my stomach was cramping and I was in the kind of pain where you don't even want anyone to talk to you, look at your or touch you. I went in the bathroom and closed the door, felt clammy and sweaty, actually felt like I might pass out and had the most horrible stomach (not intestinal) cramping. After a while it passed but I didn't eat any more of the pizza; I'd lost my appetite by then. A few months later my husband talked me into order the pizza and again my stomach started to hurt when I ate it, but not nearly as severe as the first time. I realize that it probably wasn't the pizza at all, but I still have no desire to eat it again.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:35 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,147 times
Stuffed turkey rolls. My family and I were at my office Christmas party years ago, and 85 percent of those present got (what we believed to be) food poisoning. Everyone thought it was the turkey rolls. The puzzling thing was, DH had three servings of everything, including the turkey rolls, and didn't get sick. My daughter (the vegetarian) did not have any of the turkey rolls, but she and I had pop with ice and she (like me) was sick as a dog. We suspected the ice...the pop was served in cans and you had to scoop ice out of a cooler. It could have been contaminated. DH does not like ice in his pop - he drank it straight out of the can. Friends sitting with us at the table drank beer and cocktails from the bar. They had some of everything on the buffet table, but they did not get sick.

The party was on a Saturday night. By late Monday afternoon, that was when everyone started to get sick. Talk about a mad dash for the restrooms. I left earlier than some, but my stomach was rolling on the drive home. When I got home and (barely) made it to the downstairs bathroom, my daughter was throwing up in the upstairs bathroom.

That was 12 years ago, and I still cannot eat stuffed turkey rolls.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 12-30-2014 at 12:45 AM..

Old 12-30-2014, 04:48 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times
My sister got sick ONCE after eating ham, and has refused to eat ANYTHING ham since then. I think she is crazy....what if she was getting sick anyway and it was not the ham? After all, she was over 50 yrs of age and had eaten ham regularly before that, but she, to this day, will not touch ham. I had to get both a honey baked ham AND turkey breast for her for Christmas this year. LOL

Old 12-30-2014, 04:54 AM

1 posts, read 882 times
Default Times Square NYC

Back in the 70's there were all sorts of seedy places to eat. I had a shrimp egg roll from Nathan's that might have been frozen dethawed and frozen again. It seemed watery. I was sick for two weeks. and couldn't even look at an egg roll for two decades. Now I eat them with caution usually only vegetable ones. I will never forget that time!

Old 12-30-2014, 05:29 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,526,492 times
Steak tartare in Paris, France. This was years ago, before discussions about eating raw meat or raw eggs. At the time it was a very popular dish. I had it one night & loved it. I convinced my spouse to have it with me the next night (different bistro) & we spent that evening in our room, watching "Dallas" episodes in French, between bathroom trips.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:42 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,314 times
i am bulimic so that is the story of my life. it sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink