Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2019, 07:03 PM

1,371 posts, read 666,323 times

Advertisements

We've had problems with services, Door Dash in particular. Two out of 3 recent orders have had problems. One was really bad, only got 1 side that was ordered and substitutions for the rest, and a substitute for an extra side that was ordered and was an extra charge. A BBQ joint that is part of a small local chain that got really good reviews on Yelp, Trip Advisor, etc. Obviously, DD blamed the restaurant, but the restaurant said they sent the order as per DD's instructions.

So, I'm kind of turned off on the services now, besides the fact that where we live the delivery charges alone add close to $10 to each order on top of what we tip the driver.

I kind of like going out, especially the no cleaning up whatsoever aspect!

Old 09-19-2019, 07:32 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
Honestly? Neither. I am too tired to go out after a full day at work, and takeout usually disappoints. I'm a home cooked fan, fortunately married to a man who does all the cooking.

I will pick up pizza on my commute home though, nothing else comes close to our local pizzeria.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:05 PM

17,664 posts, read 9,148,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
We've had problems with services, Door Dash in particular. Two out of 3 recent orders have had problems. One was really bad, only got 1 side that was ordered and substitutions for the rest, and a substitute for an extra side that was ordered and was an extra charge. A BBQ joint that is part of a small local chain that got really good reviews on Yelp, Trip Advisor, etc. Obviously, DD blamed the restaurant, but the restaurant said they sent the order as per DD's instructions.

So, I'm kind of turned off on the services now, besides the fact that where we live the delivery charges alone add close to $10 to each order on top of what we tip the driver.
When ordering with Doordash, with each item you need to scroll all the way down to the "If sold out" section. You are given 4 choices:

1) Go with merchant recommendation (default)
2) Refund this item
3) Contact me
4) Cancel the entire order

Technically, the restaurant was just following Doordash's instructions if you left the "If sold out" on the default setting ("Go with merchant recommendation").

I always make sure to switch it to "Refund this item".

I've used Doordash dozens of times and only had a couple orders that weren't completely correct. The couple times there was something missing or incorrect, I received a no hassle credit towards a future order. You just go to your order page and click "Help". It will show everything you ordered and ask you if anything was missing or incorrect. Immediate credit. Super simple. It sounds like you called them.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:16 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,267,802 times
I rarely dine in anymore.

I work full time and have a 3-hour R/T commute, so I'll go with what's at home or pick something up on the way.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:18 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,184,412 times
We eat out. Where we live there isn't any delivery services, but even when we lived where there was we never used them. If I don't want to cook, I like going out someplace and being waited on.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:41 PM

17,664 posts, read 9,148,339 times
I like someone bringing it to my door...and eating while on my couch watching TV.

Old 09-20-2019, 01:01 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,582,785 times
Take out and home-delivered meals are a major contributor to the huge amount of plastic and styrofoam that litters the environment. To eat good food, with a minimum of daily work and not much trash that needs disposing, I cook up big pots of food once a week and then eat on them from the refrigerator. Sometimes I will quickly heat up several things into a stew or just eat it cold if I'm in a hurry. It's all good and nutritious, as well as being low-cost and only one evening a week is spent doing any major cooking. A pot of pinto and great northern beans with some split peas, is the main item and it can be served in many ways. Cans of tuna or chopped chicken breasts, tomato paste, sliced black olives, Italian seasoning, balsamic vinegar are sometimes added and re-heated and served with nonfat, plain yogurt, which takes the place of sour cream. I've slowly lost about 35 lbs. over the years I've eaten like this and I have no trouble keeping it from returning.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 09-20-2019 at 01:15 AM..

Old 09-20-2019, 03:21 AM

1,371 posts, read 666,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
When ordering with Doordash, with each item you need to scroll all the way down to the "If sold out" section. You are given 4 choices:

1) Go with merchant recommendation (default)
2) Refund this item
3) Contact me
4) Cancel the entire order

Technically, the restaurant was just following Doordash's instructions if you left the "If sold out" on the default setting ("Go with merchant recommendation").

I always make sure to switch it to "Refund this item".

I've used Doordash dozens of times and only had a couple orders that weren't completely correct. The couple times there was something missing or incorrect, I received a no hassle credit towards a future order. You just go to your order page and click "Help". It will show everything you ordered and ask you if anything was missing or incorrect. Immediate credit. Super simple. It sounds like you called them.
I'm not stupid. I know how to use the site and chose contact me. My instructions were ignored by 1 or the other. Yes I called because I was angry and didn't want a credit for a future order after 2 out of 3 screw ups. I told them they could either get me the correct items at no charge and promptly or they could REFUND. They chose to refund.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:38 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,524,919 times
Interesting, the primary reason that I eat out is to get out of the house. We rarely if ever do take out or delivery. If I am eating at home I will prepare a home cooked meal.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:23 AM

27,132 posts, read 13,424,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
IF you could get the exact same meal, equivalent service, good packaging that kept it warm, would you go out to a restaurant or eat in? I'm finding it harder and harder to get psyched up to go out, what with Door Dash and all. You??
It depends on the cusine and type of establishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.