Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 02:20 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,156,795 times

Advertisements

Do you only eat a very limited range of foods, or do you enjoy eating pretty much anything that can't get away from you? If you are fussy, is it for health reasons, or is that you genuinely don't like many foods?

Also, do you eat pretty much the same stuff at the same meals every day (for example, eggs and toast for breakfast, and a ham sandwich for lunch), - other than special occasions? Or do you rarely eat the same foods twice in a week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 02:31 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,861,510 times
I eat insects, raw fish, roe, snails, snakes, frogs, geoducks, ducks, squirrels, darned near anything. However, I won't eat anything that has a hair in it - it can have an insect in it but not a hair.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:33 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
We eat a good variety of foods but I am pretty regimented at the moment with my lunch, I have Tacos nearly every day for lunch.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:34 PM

722 posts, read 1,327,477 times
I will eat anything, Im looking forward to eating dog meat, horse meat , snakes, insects

but they dont have dog on the menu in my area

Old 12-19-2014, 03:39 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
I used to be an excessively picky eater (let's be honest, that's what "finicky" means when it's home in its pajamas ); in fact, I'd managed to get to age 20 in Texas without eating either BBQ or Mexican food, if you can imagine.

Was tested in high school biology and my taste buds fall into the 25% category, meaning bottom line a lot of things just don't taste the same to me as they do to most people. However, over the years I expanded my horizons and now I will eat most things. Still not too crazy about cheeses, though I'll happily eat pizza or anything else that has a lot more stuff in it to counteract the cheese flavor, but at 65 I'm gradually getting there. Don't like mushrooms - the flavor is okay, but the texture squicks me out, so I just give all mine to my husband who loves them.

I know live in a family of foodies and am one myself to a certain extent (and have been a personal chef which means you have to be able to at least taste a wide variety of foods and know if they taste right or not!). My children take after their father - the only, literally only, things I know of that he won't eat are hominy (which I will, having grown up with it) and seaweed and eggplant stew (an unfortunate experience on a tuna fishing boat in Hawaii one summer in college).

Old 12-19-2014, 04:10 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
I tend to eat the same things over and over because it's easy, not because I don't like a wide variety of foods. I like almost all vegetables, spicy foods, strong flavors, ethnic foods of all types, lots of things that are widely disliked.

However, I am kind of picky about meat. I don't want to eat any raw meat/fish/seafood, no organs, and no odd body parts like ears or feet. I also don't care for eggs that are raw or undercooked, or poached or fried. So I love sushi, but only if it contains no raw fish. I don't want to see soup with a poached egg floating in it. Otherwise, I'll eat whatever you put in front of me!

Old 12-19-2014, 04:20 PM

3,297 posts, read 3,020,583 times
I'm finicky in a couple of ways, not all of them by choice.

The first is, because I have a lot of food sensitivities, gastric reflux, and digestive problems, I tend to eat the same "safe" foods a lot. In the morning, a smoothie with greens, pineapple, strawberries, and cocoa nibs, and most lunches consist of a small turkey deli meat sandwich on buttered toast and a glass of milk. For supper I usually have eggs or soup. (Good grief, I sound like I'm a hundred years old.)

Another thing is that certain foods, mostly those served cold, have a mealy "mouth feel" that grosses me out, like potato salad, cold meatloaf, etc.

In another way, I am finicky by choice I guess, because I don't like to eat food prepared by others unless I know and trust them and preferably have seen their kitchens so I know they are sanitary.

And there is a whole category of things I will eat only if my sister or I myself prepared them, but will not eat them if made by other people, period. Tuna salad and deviled eggs fall into this category. And I wouldn't eat those types of things from a grocery store if you paid me $1M.

Wow, I sound weird!

Old 12-19-2014, 04:52 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I eat insects, raw fish, roe, snails, snakes, frogs, geoducks, ducks, squirrels, darned near anything. However, I won't eat anything that has a hair in it - it can have an insect in it but not a hair.
im with dirt grinder, but it HAS to be organic, or i wont eat it
I wont eat a farm-raised slug,,,those are gross!!

Old 12-19-2014, 06:03 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,283,689 times
I am a selective eater. I do not consider myself finicky or fussy. I just eat what I like and do not eat what I do not like.

That being said, I eat a lot of things that many people don't, like crawfish, pig ear sandwiches, neck bone, kale chips, and boiled okra.

But there are products that most people eat that I just don't care for, like seafood. I will eat it if I went to someone's home for dinner and it were server, but I wouldn't order it for myself in a restaurant.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:26 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,393,733 times
Finicky eater depends, I refuse to eat bugs, organ meats or anything that looks and smells gross, wild game. I guess I am finicky?? Never had exposure to any of the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink