Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 05:35 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are one of my favorites! It's just so peanut buttery, more peanut buttery than what you get in nature. That's what makes them so good. And what is halavah, anyway?

I second the black licorice haters. Yuck! It's the anice in black licorice that gives it that ugh flavor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
It's a Middle-eastern candy made out of ground sesame seeds. I ate some about sixty years ago as a child. Have no idea what they were doing selling it in a small southern MN town in those days. That's a real mystery to me.
While we're on the subject of regional candies, I am a confirmed Mexican tamarind candy hater. It's a bizarre mix of flavors: sweet, sour, spicy, even salty, like the candy version of a boyfriend/girlfriend who can't decide his/her true feelings for you. And the cherry cordials, there's just something about too much chocolate combined with gooey maraschino cherry juice and a simulated tasting cherry in the center that makes my stomach turn

Last edited by Scooby Snacks; 12-27-2014 at 05:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 05:43 AM

8,041 posts, read 10,632,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
What I really hate are those cheap chocolates wrapped in foil in the shapes of Easter bunnies, Santas, footballs--whatever. They say on the packaging "chocolate flavored"--so they are not even remotely close to being chocolate (the Palmers brand comes to mind). .
I second this. Cheapo chocolate that is not really chocolate, and Palmers seems to be the most prevelant manufacturer of this crap. Not fit to eat.

I also hate candy that is cloyingly sweet with too much caramel like Twix and Milky Way bars; so sweet they make your teeth hurt.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:54 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
I like Circus Peanuts, as long as they're fresh. I never cared for Peeps but don't hate them. I like licorice, especially all-sorts. I don't like it that those red twisty things are called "red licorice". Some nerve, calling it licorice!

I like Mounds, don't care for Almond Joy. It isn't the coconut, it's the milk chocolate - I prefer dark. I like peanut butter cups, but I just learned that the company that makes Mallo Cups (which I love) makes a pb cup that is superior. I'll have to taste test.

I loved Tootsie Rolls when I was a child but today's bear no relation to the ones I remember.

I used to love Nestle Crunch and Three Musketeers. The recipes have changed.

World's worst tasting candy? In my estimation, spice-flavored jelly beans! Gaaak!

Old 12-27-2014, 05:55 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
there's a pink colored hard shell of a candy with what tastes like spoiled peanut butter in the middle - awful tasting stuff,,
haven't had it in probly 40 years ,,,but I have quite a sweet tooth and this I one candy I disliked,,

also some sort of disgusting candy years ago called boston baked beans candy- maybe it was regional but it was gross,,the dogs wouldn't eat it ,,little round things make to taste like baked beans

I would take 1000 peeps over a handful of these baked bean candies,,,looked liked deer-dung

Old 12-27-2014, 06:06 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
there's a pink colored hard shell of a candy with what tastes like spoiled peanut butter in the middle - awful tasting stuff,,
haven't had it in probly 40 years ,,,but I have quite a sweet tooth and this I one candy I disliked,,

also some sort of disgusting candy years ago called boston baked beans candy- maybe it was regional but it was gross,,the dogs wouldn't eat it ,,little round things make to taste like baked beans

I would take 1000 peeps over a handful of these baked bean candies,,,looked liked deer-dung
brokerman, you cracked me up! I remember well those Boston Baked Beans. When I was a child, (back when we had an ice-box) They sold them at the Saturday matinee - double feature; cartoon; newsreel; cliff-hanger chapter; coming attractions; all for 10 cents. Some of the kids bought the baked beans and shot them through pea-shooters at the people in the front row. Hateful little basta - er, brats.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:02 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
yeah all that, candy corn, jelly beans, dollar store coconut failures, mexican candy
Candy corn is the most addictive candy on the planet. We call it candy crack at work. Yes, there are cheapo versions that have no flavor, but the real, honey-based stuff is hard to stop eating. I cannot buy any or I will eat the whole bag and feel sick as hell for the rest of the day!

Jelly beans also fall into that category where some are good, but the cheap versions are nasty.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:32 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
I hate those peeps, but even worse are those colored candy Easter eggs, with bright color coating over some kind of weird semi-hard sweet white stuff inside. Also, I have eaten some "chicken bones" candy that tasted really awful. I hate most licorice, horehound, and there used to be some nasty candy called "red hots" that would destroy your mouth.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:42 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I hate those peeps, but even worse are those colored candy Easter eggs, with bright color coating over some kind of weird semi-hard sweet white stuff inside. Also, I have eaten some "chicken bones" candy that tasted really awful. I hate most licorice, horehound, and there used to be some nasty candy called "red hots" that would destroy your mouth.
Blasphemy! Red Hots are my second favorite candy. Anything cinnamon is great. Butterfinger and Reese's PB stuff is pretty good as well. But my absolute favorite is those Hershey's Cookies and Creme bar/drops candy. I only buy it occasionally, but when I do, it disappears in mere minutes.

Orange Slices are another ugh. Gummy anything is still a favorite of mine but fake orange flavor is just nasty, IMO.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:35 AM

634 posts, read 897,141 times
I agree with the circus peanuts being nasty things, but I never see em anymore. I also recall those pink lozenge things from about the same time period, what in gawd's name was that about?

Chocolate covered peeps were an equally nasty concoction.

OMG Scooby, that chocolate covered orange shaped thing that breaks into wedges was the worst thing I ever tried and literally made my stomach perform backflips.

Runner Ups: those edible wax things at Halloween, that powdery stuff in the paper sticks, and bit of honey bars designed it seemed to rip your teeth out of their sockets.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:48 AM

607 posts, read 1,393,441 times
How can you screw up candy? Well, they definitely did it with Twizzlers. The taste of that stuff is just an insult to licorice. I like licorice (red), but not Twizzlers brand. Nasty!

Agreed on black licorice, circus peanuts and peeps. Just terrible.

Sweet tarts and the peanut butter things in the orange wrapper that someone else mentioned were always at the bottom of the bag as a kid. Last to be eaten after all the GOOD stuff had been eaten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink