Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2018, 12:22 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,368,841 times

Advertisements

I sauté veggies daily, tomatoes, shredded sweet potato, mushrooms, beans, onion, corn etc.

I just put it all together in a pan. If I were to pre shred the potato and put it in a sealed container in the fridge how long would it be good for?

Will the consistency change? As in turn into a big pile of mush...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 12:41 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
I sauté veggies daily, tomatoes, shredded sweet potato, mushrooms, beans, onion, corn etc.

I just put it all together in a pan. If I were to pre shred the potato and put it in a sealed container in the fridge how long would it be good for?

Will the consistency change? As in turn into a big pile of mush...

Grocery stores sell them pre shredded....so likely ok for a few days...

Old 04-29-2018, 01:40 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times
I think you could get away with covering the shredded sweet potatoes completely in water and store in fridge for no longer than 24 hours. I have done this but I have always made sure to use them within a day, or 2 at the most.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Grocery stores sell them pre shredded....so likely ok for a few days...
I’ve only ever seen frozen...

Old 04-29-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
I think you could get away with covering the shredded sweet potatoes completely in water and store in fridge for no longer than 24 hours. I have done this but I have always made sure to use them within a day, or 2 at the most.
I wouldn’t want to cover them in water though, wouldn’t that make them a sloppy mushy mess?

I was thinking a Tupperware container...

I’m surprised the times you guys have given are so short. Do they rot? Dry out?

Old 04-29-2018, 08:52 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
I wouldn’t want to cover them in water though, wouldn’t that make them a sloppy mushy mess?

I was thinking a Tupperware container...

I’m surprised the times you guys have given are so short. Do they rot? Dry out?
Try the tupperware with no water and see if it works. They will most likely get brown like regular potatoes do, from my experience anyway. I suppose it depends on how long you keep them in the tupperware. IF I have ever had to store uncooked shredded SP I have just always covered them with water and just used them in a day or 2 at the most and then drain them well before using. Mine have never gotten mushy. I just googled it and found that that is what is suggested as well.
https://www.google.com/search?source....0.kIzd_mfcv_4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink