Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 04:49 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,272,563 times

Advertisements

Myself and 2 ladies I work with went out to dinner last night.. One is a 'foodie' and the other is in culinary school presently.

We went to Saskatoon, which is a local restaurant here with a "Northwestern" theme, and serves Steak, Seafood and Wild Game.. Their motto is..

"There's room for all God's creatures.. Right next to the mashed potatoes"

Now, this is my favorite restaurant.. It's locally owned and operated.. The owners are the manager and bartender.. I think the food is excellent. Is it the best you've ever eaten? well, they certainly have the best Kangaroo i've ever had. But, objectively looking at it.. The food is a very high 3 or right at 4 out of 5. Good.. Not falling over yourself about how great it is. Just.. very well done.

Anyway.. This was their first time at the place.. We had started talking about going just before Christmas.. They had never been and wanted to go.. I hadn't been in a while and had a hankering for something interesting.. All thought the food was good.. And one of them remarked on the service by saying..

"Mediocre food and exceptional service will keep a restaurant open for a long time"

I chewed on that most of the night.. And I guess it's true.. But where does that line come down? Obviously, Dick's Last Resort is known for horrible service.. Intentionally.. And they do great business. I'd call the food there, decent-to-good.. Nothing exceptional. So.. Where is that line? Bad food, bad service, noone will come back. Great food, bad service.. Keeps the doors open, at least. Bad food, Great service.. Don't think that place stays open too long..

This place, BTW.. Server is checking on you quite often, but not annoyingly often.. And when you come in, the server introduces him or herself, gets your name.. Addresses you by your name all night. Recites the 'off menu' specials, of which there are many.. Recommends wines.. They have tried all the foods, so they can describe them to you, which, when someone is looking at Emu, Elk or other wild game is quite important. And most of the servers at this place have been there 6 or 7 years at least. very, very little turnover. I've actually talked to servers at other places that have tried getting on there, and they say there's just never an opening because people don't leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 05:32 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
this is the beauty of capitalism, different likes/dislikes and strategies for different customers,,

if this is your favorite restaurant , then enjoy it,,

here's an old saying ....
opinions are like ass-holes, everybody has them

seriously,,,,one dynamic ive seen in my many years, is that once someone talks a place up,,,,someone is bound to dump on it somehow ..

if you try to second guess why someone thinks the way they do, you will be like a nervous squirrel in the road,,, darting back and forth

I think it was nice you brought your friends out to a place you liked ,

and I do like their motto ,,,there's room for all of gods creatures -next to the potato

Old 01-15-2015, 06:13 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,990,032 times
You almost lost me at kangaroos in Saskatoon.

I HATE servers calling me by name.

And while I don't agree that the maxim is an absolute, I do think a restaurant offering average food/great service will generally outlast one with great food/average service because most diners want to feel special when they're dropping a chunk of change on a nice night out. A customer can always rationalize mediocre food as "an off night for the kitchen", but you can't rationalize away poor or rude service.

And, fairly or not, many places with truly "great" food get knocked on for being "pretentious" if they try for superlative service (IMO, the most incorrectly overused word in food reviews).

Old 01-15-2015, 07:06 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,061,664 times
Consistent good food and good service is a place I'll go back to. Knowing that I can get the meal I expect with a smile means a lot. I've eaten at some fluffy restaurants and your expectations are higher for food and service, when a component isn't delivered upon the meal can be a disappointment.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I'm actually with you on that. I get what they're trying to do.. But it's over the top for me. I took my brother to the same place a few years ago and he just blurted out "Ralph" as his name.. So we were laughing our butts off every time the server came by and asked if "Ralph" needed anything.

A similar situation.. Moe's Southwest Grill.. When you enter the door, everyone in the restaurant is supposed to shout out "Welcome to Moe's!".. That annoys me to no end as well.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:17 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,999,223 times
I don't want to be on a first name basis with my server....politically incorrect? Maybe....but that's the way it is. I want decent service, good to great food, and I don't want to pay through the nose for it....and I do NOT want a kangaroo kabob. Ever!

Old 01-16-2015, 07:25 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,305,299 times
Where is this place located? Menu sounds interesting.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:46 AM

Greenville, SC

Saskatoon Restaurant, Greenville SC

And.. Rejecting anything without even seeing it.. Kangaroo is actually quite good. It's red meat.. Similar to ostrich.. Not gamey at all.

The ladies I went with.. One had a Buffalo steak, which I really can't distinguish from beef.. The other had the Rainbow Trout.. Which.. We all thought was quite good, but they didn't crispy the skin on it, which we all thought would have made it better.

Last edited by Labonte18; 01-16-2015 at 10:04 AM..

Old 01-16-2015, 01:42 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,990,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Greenville, SC

Saskatoon Restaurant, Greenville SC

And.. Rejecting anything without even seeing it.. Kangaroo is actually quite good. It's red meat.. Similar to ostrich.. Not gamey at all.

The ladies I went with.. One had a Buffalo steak, which I really can't distinguish from beef.. The other had the Rainbow Trout.. Which.. We all thought was quite good, but they didn't crispy the skin on it, which we all thought would have made it better.
Yeah. Kangaroo is good eatin'. When the wife and I went to Australia we had kangaroo and ostrich. At first she was horrified I was going to eat kangaroo because we'd just been to a wildlife preserve and were interacting with the animals. It wasn't until I reminded her that the little guys we were petting were wallabys, not kangaroos, and the 'roos were the big, nasty ones that could knock you unconscious that she relented. I did not eat a wallaby on that trip though.

I don't think they serve koala anywhere... I'd have been divorced on the spot if I tried that.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:23 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post

. . . when "Hon" will do.

I have a policy. Any waitress that calls me Hon gets an immediate hug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink