Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 07:09 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,206,492 times

Advertisements

Wow. I can't really think of anything which probably means I don't have any food compulsions. I know I'm prone to addiction so I try to monitor what I get hung up on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 11:25 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,767,756 times
1) Uni
2) Pickled herring
3) Raw spot prawns
4) Fried heads from raw spot prawns
5) Black truffles

Old 01-05-2015, 01:31 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,524,155 times
Potatoes, any kind and in any form imaginable or ever created.

I have to make a conscious effort not to eat when served or not buy them whenever I'm trying to shed a few pounds.

Moderation and potatoes don't go together in my regular food lexicon.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:08 AM

23,474 posts, read 13,711,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Potatoes, any kind and in any form imaginable or ever created.

I have to make a conscious effort not to eat when served or not buy them whenever I'm trying to shed a few pounds.

Moderation and potatoes don't go together in my regular food lexicon.
Curious for potatoes are one of my main staples. Do you eat them plain or just with spices?

Old 01-05-2015, 08:09 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,524,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Curious for potatoes are one of my main staples. Do you eat them plain or just with spices?
As my previous post states, any kind and in any form imaginable.

Being of Hispanic/Italian origin corn and flour/pasta were staples I grew up on. Early on in my childhood I got to go to a sleep over at a friend I had made once I started going to school.

They had baked potatoes with butter, sour cream, chives and whole grilled steak for dinner. It was mana from heaven as I had never had a baked potato before like that in my life. Certainly never a whole grilled steak as I'd seen adults in my family up to that point eat them but it was never an option for us kids.

I think that one instance that I vaguely remember set the course for my love of the spud over my life time.

Then there was the time my grand parents took me to San Franciso and introduced me to Chinese food, but that's another story.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:55 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,197,450 times
ok, so the op used the word compulsive and someone didn't think that was the right word, regardless, I think we all know what she/he meant: I have a compulsion or call it whatever for: blue cheese. Where I got it I have no idea, but I could eat it daily. I also love ham and cheese sandwiches, which I often have for breakfast, but only 1 slice of bread. This probably comes from watching friends have them for lunch growning up and we only had bologna (spelling) or liverwurst in our house. Why I have no idea. Also mom and dad, likeing nothing but quality meats, they never got pre sliced anything. We always got the meat and cheese from the butcher. It was better quality I am sure, but I always wanted to be like the other kids and have the skinny pre sliced lunch meats.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:43 AM

4,964 posts, read 5,219,246 times
I have a hard time saying 'no' to most potatoes including, mashed, baked, fried and potato chips. I've had to cut back on making them because of how fat I get and the way they affect blood sugar. I don't like rice that much so I usually try to use that as a substitution.

I also love saltine crackers...plain or with a piece of cheese. I'll eat like 3/4 of a sleeve at a time. I can't seem to say 'no." I'll nibble around the edges to make it last and all of a sudden I'm reaching for another one. My kids like them too so I've found myself hoarding them.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:33 PM

18,750 posts, read 11,720,618 times
Sugar? I think it was because my idiot mother let us put heaping spoonfuls of sugar in our coffee and cereal every morning before grade school. Wish I could slap her upside the head now.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:14 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,883,505 times
I'm not sure if we have any food compulsions, but we do have what I'd term "comfort foods". Potatoes are pretty high on the list of comfort foods. For me, a big pile of fresh made mashed potatoes topped by home made chicken noodle soup with big fat noodles is probably in the top ten of "comfort" foods. Possibly because my grannie used to make it for us when we were small kids.

In the area I live in, I'd guess rice is much more common as the standard "staple" than potatoes, but it's all what folks grow up on, I'd think.

We do go through phases when we discover a new food or have one we haven't had for awhile. This time of year is good for different soups. Summer we usually go through a salad phase. Sometimes it will be baked goods, where different bread recipes will be tried out. Just lately it's been tortillas made with a tortilla press although next will be soup most likely.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:50 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,869,125 times
Must. Have. Coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink