Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 10:06 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times

Advertisements

I grew up around McIntosh apple orchards in western MA, and that's all we ate back then. I can't find them around here in northern CA ...... I'd like to have one again just for the sake of nostalgia. A nostalgic apple. Yeah.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 10:09 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Our favorites are Empire and Gala, and they've been great.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:56 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
During the summer I complained about the apples, not sweet, and stale as if they had been in a warehouse for a year. They were southern hemisphere apples which should have been at their peak. OK, so now comes fall and winter and good old northern hemisphere apples from the US of A. Same thing, no sweetness. Maybe it's me but everything else tastes as it should.
Why is that surprising? Peak season for apples is September in Northern Hemisphere and March in Southern Hemisphere. Apples are stored in high carbon-dioxide chambers that maintain relative freshness for several months. They are obviously not fresh and you can't get fresh apples now.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:21 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I buy apples all the time. Gala, Fuji, Pink Lady, Honeycrisp, others. Taste fine from the market where I buy them--most are shipped in from Washington State.

I became an apple head when I quit smoking. Well, there was an interim love affair with Jolly Ranchers, but that didn't go well.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:51 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times
A supermarket here has Opal apples in as a special. These are great! Actually pretty hard to find....not the usual variety one sees.

...in general the thing I like least about apples is when they are mealy vs crisp and firm. I usually don't eat those stratight.... but chop them up and cook them with oatmeal, cheerios or cook them with sauerkraut (and I recall an apple/onion recipe that was interesting...from Holland).

Of the apples I think those tart green Granny Smiths are the ones that are usually the least mealy.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:01 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
There used to be about a thousand different types of apples but now we only see a few different types in the markets. I'd guess they are selected for how well they ship and store more than how well they taste.
Where I live, I can easily choose from at least 50 different varieties. I live in apple growing country. I get my choice of at least 20 different grapes as well.

There still are hundreds of types of apples. Many are not grown in the US and are not native to us. Try a farmers market not a grocery store for variety.

And yes the apples being purchased now are old and were picked months ago. Apples are only picked once a year and are kept in controlled storage for a year. The controlled storage includes cool air, the proper humidity, and darkness. How do you think you get apples in May? Plenty of produce is like this.

If you're not finding apples sweet, I'd say you're either eating the wrong type of apple - all aren't designed for eating raw - or your tastebuds/brain are out of whack. No problem at all with sweet apples around here. Try some red delicious those are specially engineered to be sweet eating apples.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:56 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I have a fruit orchard that contains several varieties of apple. Believe me, OP is correct with the complaint that store apples aren't good.

Even common store varieties, you would not recognize as being the same variety if you compared one from the grocery store to one fresh picked at precisely the peak of quality, right off the tree.

My delicious Granny Smiths are not the same thing at all as the green picked, overly tart ones from the store. My Golden Delicious are full of flavor and crisp.

The apples from the store are bred to be bruise resistant. That means they have tough skin. They are picked early so they are hard and won't bruise. That means they never developed full flavor. They are bred to be red, which is the color that consumers want in an apple, but while being bred for the red color, the taste is neglected.

Plant breeders have discovered a sweeter apple gene, so there are varieties that are coming on the market that are sweeter. A sweet apple is not necessarily a flavorful apple. It's sugar, not taste.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:05 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Everyone - slow down. The OP didn't ask asked what happened to apples, he asked what happened to The apples.

As far as I know The Apples are still producing jazz records and are doing just fine.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:07 PM

37,592 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
During the summer I complained about the apples, not sweet, and stale as if they had been in a warehouse for a year. They were southern hemisphere apples which should have been at their peak. OK, so now comes fall and winter and good old northern hemisphere apples from the US of A. Same thing, no sweetness. Maybe it's me but everything else tastes as it should.
Buy a Honeycrisp. You won't buy any other kind after eating one of them.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:03 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Galas rule.

I am so with you! They are never mushy, and they have that rich apple flavor that a misnamed Delicious can't match. I am not that fond of Honeycrisp -- the texture is to die for, but some of them taste like sawdust.

OP should take a whiff of the apples before buying them. If they don't smell like anything, they won't taste like anything either. But a really beautiful apple that has no smell will continue to ripen off the tree, if you keep it in the open or in a paper bag -- plastic keeps it from "breathing," and refrigeration keeps it from sweetening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink