Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 01:11 PM

214 posts, read 281,564 times

Advertisements

Done this with meat more than a couple times in the oven and the meat was fine (dont get a lot of sleep and keep forgetting). Especially if the room or house was cold overnight or outside. One day wont kill you. Just eat some raw garlic with it if you're afraid of bacteria. Garlic kills all bacteria and viruses too. So if you're afraid of a stomach ache or food poisioning the garlic will stop it from happening. But one night is nothing. I know it for sure.

I wouldnt eat it after 2 nights though. More time for bacteria to collect.

o you said 24 hrs. Like 8 the night before then don't find out till 8 the next night? I usually wake up the next morning like 12 hours away and put it in the refridgerator. Yea kinda pushing it at 24. But the garlic will still help kill any bad bacteria. I probably wouldn't.... especially if they were sitting at room tempature and not in a cold room.

Last edited by underated9; 01-13-2015 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 01:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I baked a half-dozen potatoes last night, so I would have a baked potato to take for lunch each day this week. I left them out on the counter to cool, and neither my husband nor I remembered to put them in the fridge, so they sat out all night. Heated one up for lunch today, topped it with toppings, no problem.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:47 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
It all depends on how warm my house was in that period. I'm sure they'd be fine either way, but I wouldn't want to take a risk, regardless of how slim, if my house didn't get pretty cool during the night. I know that many people, even under ideal temperature settings, would toss the food as they don't know what types of creatures may have crawled into the pan.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:20 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Thanks, everyone---will have them today and let you know if I survive.

Hunterseat---brilliant idea about the rosemary.

For those who don't like beets---have you ever had them roasted? Or pickled?
I really like them roasted... and pickled!

Old 01-13-2015, 03:21 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
It's fine. Just heat them back up to make sure any possible bacteria is gone and bon appetit! If it were milk, eggs, cheese, meat.. then no. Veggies are fine.
I'd eat cheese that had been left out.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:25 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
People are strange. If they cook something and then let it sit out for a few hours they think it might be bad. But they leave bread, grain, fruit, dry vegetables and who knows what else sit out for weeks with nothing but a little paper or plastic over them and think nothing of it.
Excellent point. If I can leave a raw beet (potato, onion, etc.) in my pantry for a week, why can't I leave a cooked one out for 24 hours?

Foods that need to be refrigerated anyway are obviously in a different category. I'd eat the beets without a second thought.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:24 PM

4,045 posts, read 2,128,844 times
Thanks for all the opinions. Just ate them (with some balsamic vinegar---maybe that will ward off the cooties!).

So far so good...will check in tomorrow. I've actually never had food poisoning in my 60 years....hoping to continue this record!

Old 01-13-2015, 08:39 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Quote:
Roasted some beets in the oven yesterday---let them cool down in the oven and this morning discovered they were still in there! Do you think it's okay to eat cooked veggies that weren't refrigerated for 24 hours? Would you eat them?
Sure. Heat them up again and serve.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:01 PM

62 posts, read 83,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
It's fine. Just heat them back up to make sure any possible bacteria is gone and bon appetit! If it were milk, eggs, cheese, meat.. then no. Veggies are fine.
As a former cook? I agree with you! Anything that involves dairy or protein that has been left out for over 24 hours shouldn't be eaten or anything stewing in a sauce.
Cured meats shouldn't be a problem either ala ham or bacon. Soups & Stews should be refrigerated as soon as possible.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:39 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Thanks, everyone---will have them today and let you know if I survive.

Hunterseat---brilliant idea about the rosemary.

For those who don't like beets---have you ever had them roasted? Or pickled?
Oven roasted, with a simple dressing, fried, sauteed etc. Regular, baby, organic etc I have tried it all and can't get over the overly sweet dirt flavor. Only way I like them is in cake. My husband on the other hand loves beets so I make it for him all the time. his favorite is roasted with olive oil/salt/pepper, then sprinkled with locatelli and broiled till golden. (a few minutes)

My two favorite ways to eat beets:
Ozzie Chocolate Beet (Beetroot) Cake

Ingredients:
2 cups beets blended to a smooth consistency
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups oil (olive or vegetable)
4 eggs
1/2 cup cocoa
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour

Directions:
Mix together sugar,oil and eggs. Sift flour,soda,salt and cocoa. Add alternately with blended beetroot and vanilla. Place in greased prepared tin (large tin) Bake at 325 F for 45 to 60 mins

Or in red celvet cake to replace the disgusting red food coloring. I also serve the cake with the original boiled frosting, not cream cheese.

http://familyspice.com/recipes/recipe/?recipe_id=215
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink