Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 09:02 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,742,664 times

Advertisements

Pepperidge Farm (cookies, bread, Goldfish crackers, etc.) also tends to prefer having an "exclusive" section for their goods rather than be placed in with competitors. There's also typically a separate section for Coke/coke products and Pepsi/Pepsi products, even if it's on the same aisle. Companies fight for shelf space in modern supermarket chains, and fight even harder (and pay more) for the best spaces on those shelves.

From upthread: every Wal-Mart I've been in places their grated parmesan cheese in the section with pasta sauces, but this company is a master of cross-merchandising, so it also ends up in other places as well. Not sure if they still do it, but they used to give employees cash awards when they sent in cross-merchandising ideas that the corporate people decided to implement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 07:10 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A while ago I was in WalMart and started looking for grated parmesan cheese, you know, in a green can. I asked three different people working in the grocery department, and they all made a guess, and were wrong, and I've still never found it.

I've learned that Jello is usually down the aisle marked Baking Needs. Jars of peanuts are always fun to look for.

My store puts Braunschweiger (a meat produce) in the cheese shelf. I honestly don't think they know that it's made of met.
This is typical, so it is why I don't go to Walmart.

I always have the same problem with Durkee crispy onions. I only buy them a few times a year and they are never in a logical place, so I always need to ask. I've had trouble finding parmesan cheese too, and also maraschino cherries, which some stores put in the ice cream aisle instead of the canned fruit aisle.

I always buy my spices in the Ethnic Foods aisle, rather than the baking aisle, because they are much cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink