Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2015, 09:39 PM

677 posts, read 672,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Some foods are regional or cultural & unfamiliar to the majority. I'm currently staying near Philly & my mum just ate some scrapple & eggs today. I've never had it... it doesn't look or smell good to me, but it may taste great. Since it's canned (see above post), I'll never know, but millions love it.

Additionally, she's eastern EU, so there are many foods I grew up having that make others cringe just in describing ingredients. I'll save everyone the gore... but, I love her ethnic food. My dad's too... someone mentioned liver pudding way upstream... I grew up with IR blood pudding, black & white. Love it. But, I'd never serve it to friends for fear they'd run from the bldg like lunatics. It's okay, there's plenty of other food on the planet, so I'm never offended if others don't care for my food options.
I've never seen canned scrapple. ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 10:01 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Than You View Post
Pan fried scrapple is awesome ... I can understand people not liking it if it isn't cooked long enough and served mushy, though.
I didn't eat scrapple or spam until I was an adult. I agree, though, that you have to brown them in a pan until they reach their potential.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:07 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'm the person who buys the fancy cheese...
Too bad we can't have a "cheese-off" I have a whole French Époisses de Bourgogne, a Haxaire Petit Munster, and a wedge of Mahon cheese, made with milk from cows grazing on the island of Menorca, in my fridge. We have a local cheese shop that has different high-end cheeses on sale every week, so I get to try an incredible variety of cheeses at an affordable price. I tend to go for the "washed-rind" cheeses, so I have to store them in the garage fridge.

Last year I ordered a wedge of Stinking Bishop (named for the variety of pear). That was some good, creamy, stinky cheese, but the aroma can peel paint.

The only cheese I've encountered, so far, that I cannot eat - Limburger. That's one foul beast.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:10 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
I'd imagine the person who drinks decaf in the morning, drinks near beer at night.
Your imagination is faulty, and the reasons for drinking either item are wholly separate.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm that person too.

Gerania, look for these two cheeses. If you find them, you'll likely fall in love, like I have.

Le Rustique. It comes in a round, wooden box.
CF&R - Compagnie des Fromages & RichesMonts - French cheese producer

Caprices des Dieux. It's the one in the oval box with the bright blue top.
Caprice des Dieux

I just drooled.
Ah ha! You know your cheese. I've had Caprices des Dieux but not Le Rustique. I'll keep an eye open for it.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:50 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Monster Energy Drink.

I'd be checking myself in the mirror every few minutes to see if I'd morphed into a gorgon.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:52 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,348,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Than You View Post
I've never seen canned scrapple. ??
Yodder Farms, I believe the can said... it's now in the bin. She normally buys the loaf from the cold case... Habbersett, but found some cans on her travels to Lancaster.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:15 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,181 times
Spam - Congealed meat in a can. Gross.

Processed cheese anything - Cheese whiz, nacho cheese, Velveeta, whatever.

TV dinners - Single dish stuff like microwavable pasta is OK. I'm talking about the kind where there's a bunch of different things in little tray compartments. Just like the nasty school lunches I had to eat when I was a kid. It never resembles the picture on the package and everything looks like it was mixed up into one vat and fired at the tray using a high-pressure hose.

Durian - World's worst smelling fruit, and yes I've smelled it. Stinks like rotting compost. I've heard it tastes OK if you hold your nose, but I sure wasn't going to try any after it made someone in my group throw up.

Any kind of raw shellfish - They all look like loogies on the half shell.

Any kind animal cooked whole with the head still on - Especially those bald roasted ducks you see in Asian markets hanging by their necks. I don't want my food looking back at me, thanks.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:17 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times
Pigs feet and clam juice...

Old 01-19-2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Too bad we can't have a "cheese-off" I have a whole French Époisses de Bourgogne, a Haxaire Petit Munster, and a wedge of Mahon cheese, made with milk from cows grazing on the island of Menorca, in my fridge. We have a local cheese shop that has different high-end cheeses on sale every week, so I get to try an incredible variety of cheeses at an affordable price. I tend to go for the "washed-rind" cheeses, so I have to store them in the garage fridge.

Last year I ordered a wedge of Stinking Bishop (named for the variety of pear). That was some good, creamy, stinky cheese, but the aroma can peel paint.

The only cheese I've encountered, so far, that I cannot eat - Limburger. That's one foul beast.
I want to come to your house. Oh darn. I don't have any really good cheese in the fridge right now - just a piece of mediocre cheddar and some Brie which I picked up at the supermarket. It can't be made from milk--maybe some sort of polymer--because it has no taste. The buttermilk blue I just finished was pretty tasty.

I've never eaten Stinking Bishop, but I can't believe you'd eat that and not Limburger. I like a fully ripe but young Limburger. It really does stink when it's very ripe.

Be kind to your ripening cheese and turn it every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink