Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 12:03 PM

802 posts, read 643,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Than You View Post
Pan fried scrapple is awesome ... I can understand people not liking it if it isn't cooked long enough and served mushy, though.
Love scrapple. I live in North Idaho. No one here has even heard of it. I spend a small fortune every few years having it shipped from Pennsylvania.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 12:09 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Handing frozen sandwiches to kids for their lunch is evil. They turn into mush by lunchtime and are really, really nasty. My mom used to get some sort of canned meat, it wasn't even name brand like Spam, mix it in the blender with some sort of sweet pickles or pickle relish and use it to make sandwiches. She would spread out loaves of soft white bread on the table - usually the stuff on sale so it wasn't even fresh to start with - then smear the bread slices liberally with Miracle Whip. Then she'd smear some of that revolting pink meat slush with green specks in it over the top of the Miracle Whip, slap another piece of nasty Styrofoam white bread on top and then freeze them. By lunchtime you had a baggie of nasty pink slush surrounded by soggy white stuff. All the kids in my family learned to cook at a very early age in sheer self defense.
I used to love that stuff when I as a kid! It was made with ground bologna, mayonnaise or Miracle Whip and sweet pickles or relish. My mother wouldn't make it, so I only got to eat it when I was at a friend's house.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:51 PM

41,963 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Spam - Congealed meat in a can.
It's actually spiced ham (SPiced hAM ... get it?) in a can. Nothing is congealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Fruitcake. Who still eats it OR gives it away as presents?
Yum! Anyone who thinks fruitcake is no good hasn't had good fruitcake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngID View Post
I love those little cocktail breads. I pick up a package whenever I get a meat and cheese tray at the deli to make little sandwiches with.
A friend of mine used to make this bacon and cheese concoction, spread it on those little cocktail slices, and broil it ... must get that recipe. Thanks for the reminder!

Old 01-20-2015, 01:06 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,511,139 times
Lunchables, they make my heart go glug, mentally.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:36 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It's actually spiced ham (SPiced hAM ... get it?) in a can. Nothing is congealed.

Yum! Anyone who thinks fruitcake is no good hasn't had good fruitcake.

A friend of mine used to make this bacon and cheese concoction, spread it on those little cocktail slices, and broil it ... must get that recipe. Thanks for the reminder!
I make fruit cakes every year in the summer and start eating them on Halloween. I'm down to my last two.

Here's something else I like. I found the recipe on a jar of Spice Islands Seasoning Salt (no longer made).

1 can Underwood Deviled Ham
4 oz. cream cheese (softened)
1/2 tsp dill weed
seasoning salt

Mix together well starting with 1 tsp of seasoning salt. Spread on French bread, then broil for about three minutes. Yummy

Old 01-20-2015, 01:38 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
...Underwood Deviled Ham...

Old 01-20-2015, 02:09 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,032 times
Cheese Wiz.....

Old 01-20-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
What?

Head cheese is.... made with flesh
from the head of a calf or pig...
The tongue, and sometimes even the feet and heart
, may be included.

Barfing now, sorry.
My Portuguese grandpa loved it........

Old 01-20-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post

ewwwww!!!!

WTF???

I'm normally open to try pretty much anything, but this stuff???
After seeing that photo I shouldn't have brought it up...Now I'm sick!!!! EGADS...

Old 01-20-2015, 02:35 PM

31 posts, read 43,026 times
Icelandic rotten shark: Hákarl

Two varieties; chewy and reddish (glerhákarl), and white and soft (skyrhákarl)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink