Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 04:02 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,126,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
That may be you're perception of the thread, but I've been getting a kick out reading about people different food preferences. Perhaps I haven't taken it seriously enough.
I totally agree. This thread has brought back a lot of memories and I learned of some foods I never knew existed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 05:44 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Who here admits to buying those...esp white!!!
And why...I want explanations!
I'll buy them when they're on sale. They're not that bad, especially with ketchup... but I put ketchup on everything. The advantage is that they don't go bad in the fridge like real potatoes will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Beer of any kind. Ick. I would consider drinks food since you consume them. I love wine but it gives me a headache
Y'ever tried Budweiser? My favorite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
tripe: the insides of a cow's udder. What on EARTH do you do with that?
on the other hand, a properly cooked cow's tongue is like tender roast beef
YES! Somebody finally gets it! First time I tried tongue I thought it'd make me retch - was I ever pleasantly surprised to find that it tasted exactly like very tender roast beef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
pop tarts, never understood why someone would want to eat those way too dry artificial starches.
They're also very quick to eat and don't require preparation. Tear open the thin-film packaging and nosh! Okay, so they're not the best food... but they're quick and the generic versions are fairly cheap while still being almost as good as the brand-name food.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:56 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
I'll buy them when they're on sale. They're not that bad, especially with ketchup... but I put ketchup on everything. The advantage is that they don't go bad in the fridge like real potatoes will.
I don't think potatoes are supposed to be kept in the fridge.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:30 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
I don't think potatoes are supposed to be kept in the fridge.
It seems not to matter. I used to store them in a room-temperature location. Regardless, if they're not eaten quickly enough, they grow roots and branches. By that point, they can't be eaten.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:40 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,581 times
I'm pretty much okay with any plant food but I'm really picky about meats. Anything weird, ethnic, raw, roe, pickled, corned, organ, gelled, gamey, I'm out. I was raised in a Germanic household but I can't do most of those sausages that they ate, Polish? Fine. Brats and the others not so much.

Anything terribly processed. I don't even recognize most breakfast cereals now. Sugar frosted, fruity Os. Chocolate, marshmallow and peanut butter brownie cereal. OMG. What happened to simple oat flakes?

Meals in a box. Most of the stuff in the freezer section except berries for smoothies, rarely ice cream.

Like others, anything low fat, no fat that's normally full of fat like cheese or cream, artificial, faux, chemical filled anything.

Juice in boxes, anything overly packaged in wasteful single serving sizes.

I pretty much start in produce, then buy fresh bread, hit condiments and staples occasionally, finish up in meat and dairy. I don't get down the center aisles very often.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:01 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
Durian. It smells like rotten onion and sweaty socks, tastes even worse and the texture is like phlegm when you're really sick and congested. I don't know how people can stand it.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:09 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
So I bought a small tube of Cacique Brand Mexican Chorizo sausage yesterday because the regular chorizo sausage I love and I usually buy and is made from ground pork was GONE for the day.

Did not read the label on the tube of the other stuff before I got home.

Quote:
Contains: Salivary glands, lymph nodes, and spices.
Yeah.....no thanks. That will be going in the garbage.
http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/506777smileyvomit.gif

Last edited by Beretta; 01-24-2015 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: links only please

Old 01-24-2015, 02:52 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Cheese Whiz.

Cazu Marzu, which is a Sardinian cheese that is intentionally made with live maggots (if the maggots are dead, it's a sign that the cheese has gone bad): Casu Marzu

Old 02-01-2015, 06:36 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I get these...for my cats. They LOVE them! They are good for cleaning their teeth and exercise their jaw muscles.
Regarding chicken gizzards my mom told me she used to boil them and feed them to the cat(s) too. This was in the 70's so maybe they were cheaper than cat food at the time? Around here you don't really see gizzards for sale anymore unless you go to an ethnic grocery store especially a Spanish one.

I thought of some more foods - not sure if they were mentioned yet.

Caviar (despite its price this stuff is terrible)

Lobster roe (similar texture to caviar but less expensive)

Shoofly pie (this is probably only found in southeast PA) I've never seen it any where else.

Rhubarb pie (rhubarb stalks are OK dipped in sugar, but the pie is terrible)

Old 02-01-2015, 08:11 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
It seems not to matter. I used to store them in a room-temperature location. Regardless, if they're not eaten quickly enough, they grow roots and branches. By that point, they can't be eaten.
They can't? I've eaten them several time after they've started to grow roots. I just pluck the root off and cook it as usual...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink