Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 08:01 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,722,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I'll add any meat that comes in a can. Just the thought of meat that can be at room temperature for years, and still be okay to eat... yuck! My SO told me the other day how his parents used to buy him Vienna sausage and canned ham for snacks. I didn't know what canned ham was, so he made me Google it. I don't think i could even feed that to a cat, it looked so gross. Although after seeing canned ham, I understand why he no longer eats pork products.

I would say that I don't know who buys canned soup... But my SO buys canned soup, so thats who.

Braunschweiger is another one... My grandma used to buy it as a treat to give to her dog. For the longest time I thought it was dog food and didn't realize that people ate it as well. I was always confused as to why they would have dog food in the deli counter next to people food. Still can't believe people eat that stuff...
Oooh me, me, me!! I love me a good braunschweiger sammie about twice a year! I buy the smallest package available, make a sammie and share a little with me cats. (I used to like fried beef liver and onions as a kid, too, so yeah...I'm a little unique!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 08:16 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,662,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Oooh me, me, me!! I love me a good braunschweiger sammie about twice a year! I buy the smallest package available, make a sammie and share a little with me cats. (I used to like fried beef liver and onions as a kid, too, so yeah...I'm a little unique!)
I buy braunschweiger several times a year as well....the good stuff is easier to find up here in WI....when I lived in Germany it was a weekly purchase for breakfasts or lunch. Thing is...I hate liver otherwise (including the infamous liver pudding from earlier in the thread though I have tried it).

Last edited by ScarletG; 01-18-2015 at 08:32 AM..

Old 01-18-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I just don't understand why people buy chips, pretzels, and anything were half the bag is air. I have nothing aganist chips, pretzels, and other snacks but it seems like such a waste of money.
They are sold by wieght..not volume...the air is there to help keep them from being crushed when transported....would you prefer a bag of crumbs?

Old 01-18-2015, 08:23 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,028,802 times
Instant Jello and congealed salads.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:16 AM

41,728 posts, read 74,675,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I just don't understand why people buy chips, pretzels, and anything were half the bag is air. I have nothing aganist chips, pretzels, and other snacks but it seems like such a waste of money.
Apparently you've never read the labels on these products ... You'd really be wasting your money if there were no air in the package to protect the product.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:23 AM

6,553 posts, read 4,702,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I'll add any meat that comes in a can. Just the thought of meat that can be at room temperature for years, and still be okay to eat... yuck! My SO told me the other day how his parents used to buy him Vienna sausage and canned ham for snacks. I didn't know what canned ham was, so he made me Google it. I don't think i could even feed that to a cat, it looked so gross. Although after seeing canned ham, I understand why he no longer eats pork products.

I would say that I don't know who buys canned soup... But my SO buys canned soup, so thats who.

Braunschweiger is another one... My grandma used to buy it as a treat to give to her dog. For the longest time I thought it was dog food and didn't realize that people ate it as well. I was always confused as to why they would have dog food in the deli counter next to people food. Still can't believe people eat that stuff...
Oh lawd! Treats for the dog??!! Sacrilege!

There's a little market in my hometown of Meriden, CT called Noack's Meat Market. They make the stuff and smoke it right there. Best thing ever, on a good hearty rye bread with very thinky sliced onion.

Sigh. Hungry now!

Old 01-18-2015, 09:51 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,891,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Olives. Yikes, i know a lot of people love them but i just can't.
They aren't too bad when you fix them with gin.

As for braunschweiger, aka liverwurst, good rye, sliced onion, mustard and my day's complete.

Years ago, I had a friend in her late 80s who had given up driving. She resided in a facility where meals were served and she griped about the lack of variety. Once a month or so, I used to pick her up and take her to eat in a diner (her choice) Several times, she ordered a 'wurst on rye with onion.

RIP Kathryn.

In the realm of who buys that stuff - Cheez Doodles. jeeze

Old 01-18-2015, 10:01 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,308,423 times
Anything in a can?? Aww c'mon. What about a good serving of Spotted Dick?

Old 01-18-2015, 10:15 AM

10,979 posts, read 9,617,516 times
In an Asian grocery store, behind the meat counter I saw a meat with the sign Pig Rectums. OMG! They looked like 4 inch long section of particularly thick sausage casing. AArrrgg! I guess the answer to "who buys that" would be some traditional Asian cooks.

I personally like most things made with calves' liver or chicken livers. So for liver, the answer would be "Me".

The one thing I am sure no one buys was seen at Nugget Mkt, a very upscale grocery in CA, the dish was a deli salad, lobster salad at $20 lb! If I have $20 to drop on one item, it certainly wouldn't be a bowl of mayo and chopped veg with lobster of unknown age or quality chopped up in it, and that has sat in the deli case for heaven knows how long. Blleeecchhhh!

Old 01-18-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Anything in a can?? Aww c'mon. What about a good serving of Spotted Dick?
It's a popular British raisin custard.....nothing odo about it. Spotted Dick Recipe | Epicurious.com

GENERAL COMMENT: I get the dislike of proceased foods an the wonder why people buy them....I do not get the instant dislike of items some have never even tasted simply because they are unfamiliar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink