Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 02:49 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times

Advertisements

A place with strong, aromatic seasonings - nothing wimpy, like dusty old sage - and really good ethnic blends such as Thai, Greek, or Jamaican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 02:52 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
Penzey's?

Old 01-18-2015, 02:54 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
I use Penzey's for almost all of my spices. However, for good blends, I also use The Spice & Tea Exchange.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:42 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,216,107 times
I have used the Spice Barn. Prices and quality are good.

Spices by Spice Barn

Old 01-18-2015, 05:30 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
I would recommend two places.

Penzey's has a very good selection of herbs bad spices but a pretty mediocre website.

https://www.penzeys.com/

Bill Penzey's sister has her own shops in Chicago and Milwaukee. She has a broader variety of spices and is willing to answer just about any question you would ever want to know about any spice.

The Spice House - Owners Tom and Patty Erd - Spice House History

Both can provide you with high quality spices. However, if you have special needs, Patty Err, owner of the Spice House is a great resource.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:10 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Is there a Winco in your neighborhood? The bulk bin spices at Winco are usually quite good. They do enough business that the spices are fresh, and the prices are reasonable.

I buy some of my spice at the Mexican market. Many of the Mexican spices are also used in Indian, Jamaican, Cajun, and African, recipes.

For unusual spices, I've bought from Penzey's before and had a good experience. I don't like Penzey's 5 spice, but everything else has been good.

If you have Cash And Carry, or other restaurant supply, the Tradewinds brand does a really strong fresh dried herb. I've bought their oregano, basil, black pepper, and sea salt, all of them excellent. My son says I can't use that big a bottle and I said that for what I paid, I can throw half of it away if it goes stale and still come out ahead on money.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I would recommend two places.

Penzey's has a very good selection of herbs bad spices but a pretty mediocre website.

https://www.penzeys.com/

Bill Penzey's sister has her own shops in Chicago and Milwaukee. She has a broader variety of spices and is willing to answer just about any question you would ever want to know about any spice.

The Spice House - Owners Tom and Patty Erd - Spice House History

Both can provide you with high quality spices. However, if you have special needs, Patty Err, owner of the Spice House is a great resource.
Yep - I'm firmly in The Spice House camp. I always loved Penzeys, but when I discovered The Spice House, I found I much prefer their merchandise and selection. From what I gather, the siblings aren't close.

Spice House's Vulcan's Fire and Gateway to the North are two herb and seasoning blends we make sure we never run out of. Those are also two blends that Penzeys does not market an equivalent version of.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:24 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yep - I'm firmly in The Spice House camp. I always loved Penzeys, but when I discovered The Spice House, I found I much prefer their merchandise and selection. From what I gather, the siblings aren't close.

Spice House's Vulcan's Fire and Gateway to the North are two herb and seasoning blends we make sure we never run out of. Those are also two blends that Penzeys does not market an equivalent version of.

Here are my experiences with the two firms.

Penzey's has a lot of physical stores all over the country. The employees are helpful but there is no culinary experience among their staff. They are friendly and can tell you where you can find things but miss an opportunity as there is no place to really try the spices.

Bill Penzey gets too political in a lot of his catalogs. I am less interested in what he has to say about the Wisconsin situation as much as the spices.

The Spice House is VERY interested in the local community and has sponsored a LOT of events including the Midwest Foodways Alliance at the midwestern state fairs.

The Spice House also has a better selection of specialty spices. Also, the owners and their staff are experts on spice and are willing to share their experiences with their customers.

As for spice mixes, I would rather make my own. It keeps down the number of spice jars in my spice rackS.

I did sneak into Penzey's yesterday as I am out of a couple of necessary spices (bay leaves, basil, etc.) even though I promised my spouse taht I was using up the stock that I have.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:49 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Thanks! I just sent in an order to the Spice House.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:45 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
I buy all of mine from Mountain Rose Herbs. https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/

They have been around for years and their stuff is sustainably harvested. They carry loads of organics, and the country of origin is listed for each spice they sell - this is huge if you are trying to avoid toxic and counterfeit Chinese spices.

Their quality is A++++++++
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink